Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Scibsmetalrock

Got the guitar, so what next? Look!

Alrighty, so I got my guitar of choice, a Jackson Dinky DKXT, and although I already have a "somewhat" decent amp, I think I want to look at something more. Probably in the range of 300-400$, my best bet is probably used. That being said, i'll be rocking mostly in my house or dorm, so the amp has to have a headphone jack, and I probably don't need anything crazy wattage wise but I'm not sure where to start. Ill be playing a lot of metallica type tones, so I need an amp that handles the metal sound pretty well. Tube versus stereo? Whatever gets the job done. Thanks for the help in advance!
Scibsmetalrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
demonhellcat

What is your "somewhat" decent amp? What do you like / dislike about it? That be a good place to start. For primarily bedroom/dorm practice amp I'd go modeling. Either a Peavey VIP or Fender Mustang. Get one of the higher wattage models if you think you'd ever want to play with others (they all still have headphone jacks).

If you insist on tubes look into a used Blackstar HT5 or HT5 metal. Don't let 5 watts fool you, 5 tube watts can be pretty loud and they also have headphone jacks with silent operation when left on 'stand by'
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Ikillintel
Thrash \m/ Death\m/

Being that you're in a bedroom/dorm / apt have you considered Amplitube 3 Metal? Although I run it through an interface on my PC now, I first ran it through iRig HD and my Iphone 4 and it's amazing, and you can get metallica settings off the net and plug em in. You'd save a lot of money going that route.
Jackson Warrior WRXT LFR Duncan Design
Dean Dave Mustaine AOD2 (SD Livewire DM)
Ikillintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

If you're only planning on playing through headphones and/or interfacing with your PC for the forseeable future, consider a portable digital modeling device like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found):

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...554-i1124641.gc

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Scibsmetalrock

Well I plan on playing out loud as well, when Im home and such I still like to blast the notes, but at my dorm i play silently. Right now I have a Fender 900 delux amp. I guess theres nothing I really dislike about it but i guess theres nothing i overly like about it either if that makes sense haha. Just looking for something different i guess?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Scibsmetalrock

anyone own or have experience with the Peavey 5150 combo? may beable to get my hands on a good condition used one for under $375.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibsmetalrock
Well I plan on playing out loud as well, when Im home and such I still like to blast the notes, but at my dorm i play silently. Right now I have a Fender 900 delux amp. I guess theres nothing I really dislike about it but i guess theres nothing i overly like about it either if that makes sense haha. Just looking for something different i guess?

Yamaha TRH-10. They're $300, work as a guitar amp for quiet situations, an interface for recording, and can pump out 10W to a cab if you want to be louder. They're pretty darn cool.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
romeozdistress

id look at krank rev jr or tiny terror, or the classic peavey vypyr tube 60. or maybe aline 6 pod with nice headphones.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
4seven3

Look at the Roland CUBE series.....has modeling, headphone, and a decent variations in tone...price is pretty decent too! I think the CUBE 40gx is in the $250 range.
4seven3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
Scibsmetalrock

Well none of those would really be "upgrades" over my current amp. I want to buy another amp, but I want it to be a for sure upgrade, so probably a tube amp. Not too interested in the vypyr though.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #11
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Yamaha TRH-10. They're $300, work as a guitar amp for quiet situations, an interface for recording, and can pump out 10W to a cab if you want to be louder. They're pretty darn cool.

"pump out" may be dramatic where a TRH-10 is concerned. "Squirt" might be more apt.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
romeozdistress

metallica out of a fender amp? hmm. look into the vypyr tube 60. there are some interesting youtube metal videos. its head and shoulders above the SS versions.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
"pump out" may be dramatic where a TRH-10 is concerned. "Squirt" might be more apt.

Haha, true. However, he can use that extra $100 to get an SM57 and a mic cable, I suppose.

Quote:
Well none of those would really be "upgrades" over my current amp. I want to buy another amp, but I want it to be a for sure upgrade, so probably a tube amp. Not too interested in the vypyr though.

Just to let you know, to pull the potential out of even a 1W tube amp is too loud for an apartment in most situations. You can certainly play them quiet enough that you're not bothering anyone, but it'll still not be entirely that amp's optimum performance.

If you must, though, check out Jet City. I've got a 20W head I use for my garage amp. I sometimes use it at my band's practices which allows me to crank it. It definitely sounds better when it's pushed.

MEPHAROOSTER

Last edited by JustRooster : 02-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Scibsmetalrock

Well maybe I took this about the wrong way. I can blast the thing when I'm home but what I'm trying to find I think is a decent tube amp maybe 40-60 watts that has great sound at low and high levels, and has great sound for a metallica style tone. Not dead on but that metal aspect anyways.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Scibsmetalrock

Gonna look into the vypyr tube 60, do any of you guys have personal experience with the amp? The combo version anyhow. I can get my hands on a used one for like 225
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
The Judist
The problem is choice

Quote:
Gonna look into the vypyr tube 60, do any of you guys have personal experience with the amp? The combo version anyhow. I can get my hands on a used one for like 225

Everyone on here seems to love them

Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
MaaZeus

Quote:
anyone own or have experience with the Peavey 5150 combo? may beable to get my hands on a good condition used one for under $375.

Peavey 5150 is fantastic metal amp. And sort of "standard" in modern metal sound. A lot of albums have been recorded with either that or 6505. (same amp, just renamed after Van Halen stopped being with Peavey) Highly recommended if you can get one.

However if its 2x12 combo take care. Its big and heavy. I MEAN HEAVY!!! Your back will beg for mercy. Also it can be played on low volumes but it lacks global master volume, so adjusting volume is bit sensitive. Far from impossible but silk touch and being sober is still recommended.

Peavey Vypyr Tube is the more sensible route. It has power section lifted from 6505 combo, and preamp models different amps with decent accuracy. 6505 included. It also has headphone output for late at night practising.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 02-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Scibsmetalrock

So it looks like the most realistic option is the Vypr? Has anyone used the distortion on it?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
Scibsmetalrock

I actually might offer my 90 watt Fender Delux 900 for the Peavey. Not sure yet, but I think that would be a plus. Not digging the sound too much out of the Fender and just want something different.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
romeozdistress

the vypyr tube sounds great.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Rate This Thread: