Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Glamdan

Flying V Gibson for a beginner?

Hi, I am 24 and I have wanted to pick up the guitar since I was 20. Due to part owning a family business I have never had the time to pick the hobby up. Now having sold it I have the spare time and money that I didn't have before. I am most interested in 80's metal and rock and roll.

Naturally the Gibson Rudolf Schenker Flying V Electric Guitar Black and White caught my eye. Here is a link with a picture of it: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...982-i3168713.gc . Other than the Gibson being a famous brand I don't know anything about pricing or playing. My main questions are is this a guitar a beginner can pick up without major difficulty and is it worth getting it? Just don't want to get a crap guitar and upgrade later if it works out. Thanks for any input
Glamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
bdwfb

I would think you'd like to pick up a guitar at the local pawn shop for $100 before laying out almost $1500 for a Flying V.
bdwfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
cheesefries
High Five!

Nothing wrong with a V. I remember when I bought my first guitar it was a $1300 Strat. I couldn't play a lick and made the sales guy demo it for me with the style of music I wanted to play. It's been my main for the last 16 years.

If you want a V get a V

Last edited by cheesefries : 02-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
chookiecookie
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdan
My main questions are is this a guitar a beginner can pick up without major difficulty and is it worth getting it? Just don't want to get a crap guitar and upgrade later if it works out. Thanks for any input

generally beginners don't pick up a top of the line 1500 dollar guitar.

V's are also kind of a pain to play and probably wouldn't be the best to learn on.

It's just that their shape doesn't really allow for a comfortable sitting position outside of classical and as a beginner i don't know if that'd be best for you.

If you're dead set on it though, i'm sure it's a great guitar. You're going to want to buy an amp too though. Maybe you should find a cheaper guitar + a good amp first, then buy that later on if you feel you need to upgrade a few years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
Nothing wrong with a V. I remember when I bought my first guitar it was a $1300 Strat. I couldn't play a lick and made the sales guy demo it for me with the style of music I wanted to play. It's been my main for the last 16 years.

If you want a V get a V.

Guess there's this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Only because cookie hits on literally everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Most guys are like chookie and will **** anything.
chookiecookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
cheesefries
High Five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie

Guess there's this too.

lol. And your personal issue with that is? If $$$ is no issue then $$$ is no issue. If it is then yea... fit your budget.

Last edited by cheesefries : 02-12-2014 at 10:49 PM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
SrThompson

If you want a V worth it a million dollars and you can get it, go for it.

You won't get all the juice of the guitar 'til maybe two years later (more or less, it depends).

And almost 99,999% of the guitars players starts with a crappy guitar to then move on to a better one.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
dspellman

Sure, get the V. Nothing wrong with starting with a good guitar. You'll be playing it a bit differently sitting down, but that's not at all a bad thing.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Glamdan

[QUOTE If you're dead set on it though, i'm sure it's a great guitar. You're going to want to buy an amp too though. Maybe you should find a cheaper guitar + a good amp first, then buy that later on if you feel you need to upgrade a few years down the line. [/QUOTE]

If I went the route that is being suggested with a cheap guitar what would a good amp go for assuming I would upgrade the guitar to a better one in the near future?

And again with the V I am not dead set on it just asking for suggestions. It looks like and is named after the style of music I like so I didn't know if that would make it any more or less difficult to learn since those are the type of songs I would want to play.
Glamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
chookiecookie
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdan
If I went the route that is being suggested with a cheap guitar what would a good amp go for assuming I would upgrade the guitar to a better one in the near future?

And again with the V I am not dead set on it just asking for suggestions. It looks like and is named after the style of music I like so I didn't know if that would make it any more or less difficult to learn since those are the type of songs I would want to play.

well.

a good amp is pretty subjective. I wouldn't even know what to suggest to use a 1500 dollar guitar with.

something that would live up to that price point i guess. but i'm a budget 'musician' and my entire rig isn't even worth 1500 bucks.

so there's that
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
4seven3

Hello!

From one beginner to another, I would look at getting a body style that was more "traditional". I was looking at a BC Rich Warlock and because of the odd shape I decided against it. Im sure there are a lot of guitars that will get you the tone your after that will be more comfortable to play. There are some really nice Deans and Jacksons worth looking at.

Play and listen to everything you can before you plunk down your cash. I kinda rushed into it and already trading mine....and losing $ to boot (but getting a much nicer instrument!)

Good Luck!
4seven3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

It absolutely is an amazing guitar, it's just a bit pricey for your first guitar.

I can understand it from the perspective that a great guitar will motivate you to play more though. You're a lot luckier than I am. It took me 7 years of guitar playing before I had the cash to get my own Gibson V.

There is certainly something to be said to not spend that amount of money on the guitar right now, and to invest more in a good amp. $500 on the used market can get you a really good amp that would allow you to take advantage of the tones your guitar can put out. A piece of crap amp will always make a guitar sound crap no matter how great of a guitar you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seven3
Hello!

From one beginner to another, I would look at getting a body style that was more "traditional". I was looking at a BC Rich Warlock and because of the odd shape I decided against it. Im sure there are a lot of guitars that will get you the tone your after that will be more comfortable to play. There are some really nice Deans and Jacksons worth looking at.

> Implies that V's are not comfortable to play sitting down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
V's are also kind of a pain to play and probably wouldn't be the best to learn on.

It's just that their shape doesn't really allow for a comfortable sitting position outside of classical and as a beginner i don't know if that'd be best for you.

My very first guitar was a Flying V copy and I had absolutely no problem with learning how to play on it, at least not in terms of actually holding the guitar. I didn't have any trouble with playing something like a Les Paul by holding the guitar on my right leg as opposed to my left like a classical either.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-12-2014 at 11:28 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
hairmetalguy

Another 80s metal lover! Sweet!

Actually, back then, guys were mostly playing superstrats. I'd suggest you get an old Kramer or Charvel, make sure its got a Floyd on it.
hairmetalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
jpnyc

I wouldn’t recommend a V for a beginner. One great way to build up basic skills is to just sit on the couch watching TV, mindlessly running through warm-ups, scales, and etudes until playing becomes a subconscious act. Even advanced players do this; I even saw Herman Li mention it in a video. A V is not really conducive to long, laid-back practice sessions.

But when you need a second guitar to play standing up, **** it, get the V!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
chookiecookie
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
lol. And your personal issue with that is? If $$$ is no issue then $$$ is no issue. If it is then yea... fit your budget.

I have no personal issue.

just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

My very first guitar was a Flying V copy and I had absolutely no problem with learning how to play on it, at least not in terms of actually holding the guitar. I didn't have any trouble with playing something like a Les Paul by holding the guitar on my right leg as opposed to my left like a classical either.

i totes knew that tho.

I'm just trying to help
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
Ippon
Amped

Quite comfortable.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels

My advice is simple: If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. But it might be better to figure out what your overall budget is for a rig (amp and guitar). For example, if you paired that V with a Marshall MG series amp, I would beat you savagely with that guitar, sodomize you with its headstock, and then finish you off by bludgeoning you with the amp.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #17
chookiecookie
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Gently
For example, if you paired that V with a Marshall MG series amp, I would beat you savagely with that guitar, sodomize you with its headstock, and then finish you off by bludgeoning you with the amp.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
mhanbury2

Get the guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play every day. If you have the money to start off with a $1500 Gibson then go for it.
mhanbury2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

My first guitar was a cheap Alvarez acoustic...but my first electric guitar was a brand new Dean Time Capsule Cadillac.

If you an afford a top notch guitar, go for it. And if it is a V you want, you probably won't be happy unless you buy a V.

That all said, just be aware that there are a lot of other V guitars out there that are good, and would leave you mo money for getting a quality amp. Though, if you really don't have a $$$ issue, then you won't have to fret about finding an amp worthy of the Gibson.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #20
Black_devils

What the actual shit? The first guitar I learned on was a cheap $30 guitar I bought on Ebay...
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: