Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #21
KailM

**Generally** speaking, the more expensive a guitar, the EASIER it is to play. So HELL YEAH, if you want a Gibson Flying V and can afford it, BUY IT.

Contrary to what some have been saying -- V-style guitars can be the MOST comfortable to play while sitting down. You just have to play in the classical position, which, coincidentally, is how most people play standing up -- and is generally better for your form altogether.

To me, playing with the neck parallel to the floor and hunched over in the "standard" sitting position is the most awful way to play guitar imaginable. It does not feel at all like it does when I stand and play, and makes my right shoulder cramp. Plus, Vs and Explorers are just the most "metal" guitars, and that fact can't be refuted.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 02-13-2014 at 02:16 AM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #22
CJGunner7

If money's no issue then get what you want but you'll never truly appreciate it like a player who went from a $200 guitar to a V, considering you're into 80's metal, i'd go with a kramer or charvel, if you want a whammy bar then get one with a floyd rose, also check out bc rich, they have some cool stuff too but if you get a really good guitar then get a really good amp
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #23
Eric N Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
**Generally** speaking, the more expensive a guitar, the EASIER it is to play. So HELL YEAH, if you want a Gibson Flying V and can afford it, BUY IT.

Contrary to what some have been saying -- V-style guitars can be the MOST comfortable to play while sitting down. You just have to play in the classical position, which, coincidentally, is how most people play standing up -- and is generally better for your form altogether.

To me, playing with the neck parallel to the floor and hunched over in the "standard" sitting position is the most awful way to play guitar imaginable. It does not feel at all like it does when I stand and play, and makes my right shoulder cramp. Plus, Vs and Explorers are just the most "metal" guitars, and that fact can't be refuted.

I agree totally with the playing of a Flying V sitting down. I have a flying v and practice with it for hours sitting down and hours standing up. And with you just beginning it's all on what you get used to anyway. If you have the money and want a V get it. They have actually became my favorite guitars not simply because of looks but they have a tone you just can't get in other guitars.
Eric N Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

My advice is to go to a store and try out lots of different guitars. chance is you wont like a V and end up with a Stratocaster or Les Pauls in stead.

Tell the salesman that works with you that it's your first guitar. strum some chord is you know them, but at least sit down with the guitar plugged in, see how it feels in your hands and the position that you'll have to use with a flying V. Compare that to more traditional guitars. then, ask the salesman to play the style you want to be able to play in the future with the guitars you are comparing.

Also use around $500 for an amp, and if you end up wanting a V, get one that you can get with the remaining $1000. There should be enough choice.

To me, I tried everything from a few standard Strats to some very expensive guitars. but ended up with an Epiphone G400 Goth, almost a Fender strat (I love the thinner neck of a strat over the epiphone, but I love the sound of the epiphone more), because it just felt amazing to me. I love it to death. SG's and strats are my style

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N

Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf : 02-13-2014 at 08:25 AM.
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

as long as you don't mind about the sitting down thing, go for it

as hairmetalguy said, though, a lot of the 80s guys used superstrats. so that might be worth bearing in mind. But a v would look and sound fine for 80s metal as well, as lot of the 80s guys used vs too.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #26
ninjamunky85

Or you could get this guitar, lol. For a beginner though, why not?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #27
Glamdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85

It looks the same. From the specs of the two it looks like a complete knock off but I wouldn't know the difference lol. Would that be the best move to buy the cheaper version and buying a more expensive amp? Then buying a better guitar after practicing? Before reading this and other threads in the last 24 hrs i didn't realize or factor in the amp was more important than the guitar. $3,000 isn't out of the question but having never played the guitar I don't really want to pay that for the combo I was looking for that to be the main budget (the $1,500)

Last edited by Glamdan : 02-13-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Glamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #28
kingking22

I don't get the reasoning that a beginner should play on a shitty guitar. It makes no sense and could be detrimental to learning if the guitar can't stay in tune or feels like a plastic toy.

A beginner doesn't need a good amp either. I mean a decent amp is good enough. personally I wouldn't spend more than $1000 starting out. Up to 700 on the guitar and up to 300 for a good modelling amp which has many different presets, reverb/delay, clean/overdriven etc. This is the fastest way to get an understanding what type of gear and sound you might be interested in going for in the future and allows versatility in which song material can be learned.
kingking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #29
bdwfb

For what it's worth, if I had to do over again, I would start with a kit:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fender-...6&skuId=9952217
bdwfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingking22
I don't get the reasoning that a beginner should play on a shitty guitar. It makes no sense and could be detrimental to learning if the guitar can't stay in tune or feels like a plastic toy.

Agreed. The amp is very, very important, especially as you progress and especially if you're going to be playing gigs etc., but at the start I'd rather have a good guitar.

there are some pretty nice cheap modelling amps available these days anyway which'll do the job.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #31
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwfb
For what it's worth, if I had to do over again, I would start with a kit:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fender-...6&skuId=9952217

Oh hell no! Starter pack guitars are worst pieces of shit imaginable. When I first picked a guitar it was a Squire starter kit several years back. Biggest reason I quit back then was lack of proper learning material but also the quality (or lack of) of the guitar effectively demotivated me from playing. Flimsy piece of crap. And the amp...

TS, what is your amp budget? If your budget only allows an expensive guitar with small practice amp you may want to rebalance your budget. 600$ guitar and another 600& on good tube combo and overdrive pedal plus supplies on top of that would make more sense. There are a lot of good V shape guitars in that price range if you look outside of Gibson or Epiphone.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
Glamdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Oh hell no! Starter pack guitars are worst pieces of shit imaginable. When I first picked a guitar it was a Squire starter kit several years back. Biggest reason I quit back then was lack of proper learning material but also the quality (or lack of) of the guitar effectively demotivated me from playing. Flimsy piece of crap. And the amp...

TS, what is your amp budget? If your budget only allows an expensive guitar with small practice amp you may want to rebalance your budget. 600$ guitar and another 600& on good tube combo and overdrive pedal plus supplies on top of that would make more sense. There are a lot of good V shape guitars in that price range if you look outside of Gibson or Epiphone.

My ideal amp budget would be around half the guitar budget. If that is not realistic in relativity with a guitar in that price range lmk please thanks.
Glamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #33
ninjamunky85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingking22

I don't think that cheap necessarily means shitty. Sure it's not a $1500 Gibson, but with a proper set up it should at least be playable. It's likely that as a beginner wouldn't notice much difference in playabilty.

I started off on a cheap squier strat. It wasn't a piece of shit, sure it wasn't top of the line but it played fine and I learned to play many songs on it. When I was just starting out I didn't know what I wanted in a guitar. The squier was fine when I was starting out.

If the OP wants to buy a Gibson then he should buy a Gibson. I just don't think it's the best move for a beginner. I went through a few guitars before I started to learn what I really liked in a guitar. Why spend all that money when he might find out a month later that he doesn't like V guitars, or even that playing guitar isn't for him?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #34
ninjamunky85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Agreed. The amp is very, very important, especially as you progress and especially if you're going to be playing gigs etc., but at the start I'd rather have a good guitar.

there are some pretty nice cheap modelling amps available these days anyway which'll do the job.

So you're saying that the amp is very important, and then you recommend a cheap modelling amp?

I started out with a cheap anp and a multi-effects pedal. If I could do it all over I would start with a small tube amp in the 5-15 watt range, then add some quality pedals down the line. That will sound better than a modelling amp any day.

Last edited by ninjamunky85 : 02-14-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdan
My ideal amp budget would be around half the guitar budget. If that is not realistic in relativity with a guitar in that price range lmk please thanks.

So roughly 750$? That should nail a good tube combo or even nice head and 2x12 cab on used market. A Peavey JSX for example.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
diabolical

I think the traditional GIbson V is awkward both sitting down and standing up. I like the Jackson RR tailfin "fix" which makes it one of the most comfortable guitars standing up, awkward as hell to play sitting down unless you're on a studio chair or have a left leg stool to do the classic position.

One of my idols, Wolf Hoffmann (Accept) played V in the 80s, now he switched to Jackson (or maybe went to ESP just recently?). I talked with him and his main gripe was the tuners and said the Vs just don't last as well on tour.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #37
Anders Petersen

As you have probably heard before, it would definitely be best to go to a music store and try many guitars in your budget and then make the decision. It is very important to try several guitars, because there are lot of bad guitars out there!
Anders Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #38
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85

That guitar is a piece of crap. You will absolutely hate yourself for buying that over a Gibson V.

I've actually played that guitar. Well, not that Michael Schenker V, but I played a Dean Dimebolt ML which was owned by a friend, which for the most part is constructed the exact same way and out of the same quality materials, despite the body shape and graphics being very different. Horrible guitar to play and sounded really muddy. The only redeeming feature was that it stayed in tune OK, not great, but OK. But the neck was so poorly finished it literally felt like I was rubbing my hand up and down a patio deck.

For $750, you could actually buy a Gibson V used. But just be aware that you're always taking a gamble with used guitars, so if you aren't willing to get used guitars, I can understand that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdan

Yay! We actually have an amp budget!

For $750, you can get yourself a Peavey JSX, which is a great amp for achieving a bright, crunchy, in your face tone that was so popular in the 80's. Then you could buy a Harley Benton 212 with Celestion V30's. They're really good value cabinets.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #39
dannyalcatraz

Some other V options you might consider:

I like Vs, but I don't find them comfortable to play, so I will probably will never own one. Still, were I to buy one, there are 5 I'd look at: the DBZ Cavallo, the Fernandes Vortex and V-Hawk, the US Masters VExtreme, and the Reverend Volcano.

(US Masters also make the Dräken, but I don't care for that one's aesthetics. It's still going to be a very well made guitar, though.)

Of those, the Volcano would be my most probable purchase, particularly the one with the RailHammer pickups.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #40
diabolical

On the Dean - even their top guitar are bad. Played one of the expensive Dime's ($1500) and it was utter crap, very bad workmanship. Michael Schenker was changing guitars almost after every song when I saw him on tour so even his can't be that good.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: