Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Axl1399

Best passive Metal Pups for my guitar?

Hey all, new to UG

So I have a Peavey Vypyr 75 and a Dean ML XM with stock passive pickups and Paulownia wood, I play thrash metal like thrash era Metallica, Pantera, some Maiden, some Melodeath like Kalmah and some classic metal stuff like Sabbath

I wanna change pups because the stock humbuckers on my ML XM aren't that good
I've read tons of stuff here, and I've been looking at Duncan Distortions, Duncan Invaders, Duncan SH-4 Jbs, Dimarzio X2N, EMGHz, etc.

I play rhythm guitar

Thanks in advance!
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

With a modelling amp like a Vypyr, you're not going to hear as much of a difference in tone with a pickup change as you will a tube amp. So it'll be better to invest in that instead.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
ltdguy27
Doodly Doo

Upgrade to a nice tube amp before you spend money on pickups. Changing pickups is just fine tuning your tone even further. The amp however will provide 90% of your tone. Here's a vid of duncan's "metal" pickups through a nice tube amp.

'96 LTD M-2: SD AHB-1 set
LTD AW-7 SD Pegasus/Distortion
ltdguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
MaaZeus

Emg HZ sucks. Low output and thin sounding. If you want EMGs, go for their actives. Thats the Metallica route.
Duncan Distortion is relatively safe choice. JB is modified, brighter version of it. Dave Mustaine used to use JBs for quite a while.

Invader divides opinions. If you play Morbid Angel type stuff this is the pickup to go to but otherwise maybe not.

I love Dimarzio X2N, insane output and growl. Not the most articulate pickup out there but not muddy either if you keep them relatively far from magnets. Its insane pickup for insane sounds.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
With a modelling amp like a Vypyr, you're not going to hear as much of a difference in tone with a pickup change as you will a tube amp. So it'll be better to invest in that instead.

Vypyr is analog. If I can hear pickup differences through digital Line 6 Pod the Vypyr will do fine I believe.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Vypyr is analog. If I can hear pickup differences through digital Line 6 Pod the Vypyr will do fine I believe.

It still makes more sense to invest in a better amp than to buy new pickups. I know there will be a difference in tone between 2 guitars in a modelling amp, its just not as pronounced as with a tube amp.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-13-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Axl1399

Thanks for the answers so far, but im pretty young so buying an actual tube amp like a 6505 or a Recto is pretty much impossible and the Vypyr is pretty decent for me. I want a Master of Puppets tone, like Orion for example.
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1399
Thanks for the answers so far, but im pretty young so buying an actual tube amp like a 6505 or a Recto is pretty much impossible and the Vypyr is pretty decent for me. I want a Master of Puppets tone, like Orion for example.

Then its the EMG 81 bridge and 85 set or the EMG Het Set. Just make sure you have room for 9 volt battery in the control cavity of your guitar. Installation is also easy with the solderless kit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
dvanhandel96

Seymour Duncan Dimebucker for the bridge and a Sh1 59er for the neck.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1399

You can buy a 6505+ 112 for $500 used. That isn't beyond the realms of possibility with some commitment, no?

(´・ω・`)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
You can buy a 6505+ 112 for $500 used. That isn't beyond the realms of possibility with some commitment, no?

The 112 doesn't sound that great though unless you change the speaker and tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanhandel96
Seymour Duncan Dimebucker for the bridge and a Sh1 59er for the neck.

If you want decent cleans, the Dimebucker is a bad choice. I've got an Invader which is less hot and the cleans aren't good at all. I got that about 4-5 years ago and since then, I've much preferred a lower output pickup and let my Pod do the work. My new PRS has got lower output pickups but the distortion tone is so much cleaner and tighter compared to that.

I would say the Seymour Duncan JB or Duncan Distortion are the best choices. Stay clear of the HZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Neck pickup: RailHammer Chisel, Lace Alumitone Deathbucker, Tesla VR-Extreme

Bridge pickup: RailHammer Chisel or Anvil, Lace Alumitone Deathbucker, Tesla VR-Extreme, SD SH-4JB

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
The 112 doesn't sound that great though unless you change the speaker and tubes.

Good luck finding a combo in that price range that doesn't need new speakers and tubes.

When you take into account the fact that you can get them used so cheap offsets the cost of modding them. Once they are modded with a new speaker, new tubes and maybe putting a tubescreamer in front of them, they sound epic. It isn't an ideal scenario (what is when anyone is on a strict budget?), but at least the amp has the potential to sound great, which is really the more important thing imo.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-13-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Good luck finding a combo in that price range that doesn't need new speakers and tubes.

When you take into account the fact that you can get them used so cheap offsets the cost of modding them. Once they are modded with a new speaker, new tubes and maybe putting a tubescreamer in front of them, they sound epic. It isn't an ideal scenario (what is when anyone is on a strict budget?), but at least the amp has the potential to sound great, which is really the more important thing imo.

I know, I was just saying that if he wanted it to sound decent, it will cost more than $500 But yeah as value for money along with mods, its a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

I have a Dimarzio "The Breed" in an Ibanez RG 760 and it works great for heavy stuff. Very high output.

EMG's are simply not worth the money imo.

Edit- The pickup was installed on the bridge position.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 02-13-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:

I see what you're saying and agree. However, even with a somewhat decent amp, you can always tell when you have a weak, dull pickup(s).

Amp and pickup quality go hand-in-hand.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Of course, I'm just going with the idea of spending money on the areas of your signal that will be affected the most in terms of tone if one puts money into it. Getting a new amp will certainly have a greater impact on your tone than new pickups will.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-13-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Then its the EMG 81 bridge and 85 set or the EMG Het Set. Just make sure you have room for 9 volt battery in the control cavity of your guitar. Installation is also easy with the solderless kit.

Heh, for some reason I totally forgot that you wanted PASSIVE pickups. So scratch my EMG recommendation.

On passives people that have tried SD Black Winters have been very satisfied lately. To my knowledge is basically SD Distortion on Steroids.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
cheesefries
High Five!

I like the Duncan Custom, Distortion and the JB. Especially for the price. I use them in all my passive geetars for hard rock.

I also have been floored by a BareKnuckle Pickup. Not what model it was but I remember the dude said it was their version of a JB. I kind of laughed to myself and scoffing at it's "boutiqueness" before trying it out. Lets just say it was an ear opening experience.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
kingking22

Quote:
Of course, I'm just going with the idea of spending money on the areas of your signal that will be affected the most in terms of tone if one puts money into it. Getting a new amp will certainly have a greater impact on your tone than new pickups will.

Yeah but the TC asked about pickups and not about amps so why try to steer the topic in a different direction. A good amp costs five or six times more than a pair of decent pickups so there is no relation.
kingking22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: