Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
dazzzer30

help getting new guitar

I am hoping to pick up a new guitar next week so far I like the look of the- ESP Horizon NT-II - . I want something i can play fast and learn to shred, really fast alternate picking ,hard rock and metal . I have long hands big fingers i am hoping the NT II has a big scale but i have only seen pic until i go to the shop to see it for real .
Just wondering what people think of the guitar or anything else that you think might be a better choice or I might like to try before i go to a guitar shop -
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Velcro Man
A person

it'll have the same scale as most guitars, 25.5, but any ESP is a complete waste, there's literally no difference between ESPs and LTDs. If you're just learning, look for something affordable, mid-range LTDs and Schecters are excellent
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man
it'll have the same scale as most guitars, 25.5, but any ESP is a complete waste, there's literally no difference between ESPs and LTDs. If you're just learning, look for something affordable, mid-range LTDs and Schecters are excellent

I am not just learning played guitar for years , I am just looking to improve in soloing and my picking speed ,
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

OK, we know you want something suitable for harder rock genres, and you want something with a little extra specs for your large hands.

What's your budget?

Where are you located and are you only willing to buy what you can try? If so, what is available where you live?

Are you wanting new or will you consider used?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Velcro Man
A person

Well, changing guitars isn't really going to make THAT much difference, it'll feel better, but won't improve anything. If you're looking for something to shred, the most comfortable necks are thin necks from companies like ibanez and jackson, from my experience, LTDs and Schecters are a bit meatier.

Ibanez RG/S series guitars, Jackson Dinky/Soloists/RRs are shapes I would look at. Just try to find a guitar with good hardware and a thin neck and you'll be happy, but I wouldn't expect any kind of improvement to your technique, that comes from practice. People like Paul Gilbert can shred on a Les Paul just as well as an Ibanez, it just comes down to what you like.

Don't let big hands turn you off from small necks, it doesn't really matter, people with sausage fingers play the **** out of mandolins and violins, once you give your hands about a week to adjust, it feels so nice.

Last edited by Velcro Man : 02-14-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
OK, we know you want something suitable for harder rock genres, and you want something with a little extra specs for your large hands.

What's your budget?

Where are you located and are you only willing to buy what you can try? If so, what is available where you live?

Are you wanting new or will you consider used?

I am in the UK , I want new guitar , i will try the guitar shops if they don't have at lest the ones i want to try i can order online too. price range 1500.00p pounds -
Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
RCA1186
GO PACK GO!

The Horizon is an excellent guitar. Very very light if you're into that. Neck is quite thin and would do just fine for shredding. The other guitarist in my band uses one, he won't play anything else now (FYI he switched from a high end Schecter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man

Completely false, the fit and finish, the build quality, heck even down to the factory setup are completely different. Would I go as far as to say that they are FAR superior to an LTD? No, but there definitely is a very noticeable difference between the two brands and its for the better.
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

6505+|1960a(V30/G12t-75)

Last edited by RCA1186 : 02-14-2014 at 05:27 PM.
RCA1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Velcro Man
A person

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA1186
The Horizon is an excellent guitar. Very very light if you're into that. Neck is quite thin and would do just fine for shredding. The other guitarist in my band uses one, he won't play anything else now (FYI he switched from a high end Schecter)

Completely false, the fit and finish, the build quality, heck even down to the factory setup are completely different. Would I go as far as to say that they are FAR superior to an LTD? No, but there definitely is a very noticeable difference between the two brands and its for the better.

Build quality is perfect on LTDs, their ESP line is just redundant, finish might be more limited, but that's hardly worth paying for, maybe if they were $25 difference, guitars aren't meant to be played, they're not furniture. Factory set up is completely irrelevant, we should all know how to set up a guitar and everyone has different action preferences.

Last edited by Velcro Man : 02-14-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
JelloCrust

Yeah, try for an older Ibanez, they have good necks, don't cost a lot, and have decent electronics. I cannibalized my GAX70 after I played it into the ground, took a pick-up and the potentiometers and put them into a Telecaster Deluxe body, I use it for crust-punk, so the sound is good for loud music. Ibanez's necks are thin enough to make all you squeelies and diddalies.
JelloCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
JelloCrust

Oh, and Ibanez is based out of Spain if I remember correctly, so, it's still in a different country, but closer.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
JelloCrust

But regardless of the brand, don't get a weirdly shaped guitar, they are often more expensive just for a different shape, which won't resonate as well, eventually ending up being a regret after the novelty of a crazy shape wears off..
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Velcro Man
A person

Ibanez = Japan

The only reason a guitar would resonate and unpleasant way is because it's made of wood, tonewood is a complete and total myth, body material and shape only affects the sustain.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30
I am in the UK , I want new guitar , i will try the guitar shops if they don't have at lest the ones i want to try i can order online too. price range 1500.00p pounds -

Check out the Reverends here:

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/index.html

Especially consider models with the RailHammer Chisel or Anvil pickups.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...ves-gabrels-ii/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...ture-spacehawk/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...alch-signature/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/kingbolt-ra/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...kingbolt-ra-fm/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...ment/bayonet-w/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/bayonet-fm/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-ra/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-ra-fm/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst.../volcano-ra-fm/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-14-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
dspellman

Quote:

I have to admire your persistence. I've gotten to the point where my eyes roll back in my head when I see another "what guitar should I buy?" thread. Usually it's "I'm thinking about buying this _____________ and just want to see what the consensus is." And that's followed up eight hours later by, "Well okay, there are some _____________haters here, but I went ahead and bought the ____________ and it should be here in three days."

By the time I'm ready to buy a guitar, I *know* what I'm getting. I'm nearly laser-focused on it, and only a truly crap example of one will thwart things. I don't go somewhere and try a bunch of them (usually there aren't a bunch of any of what interests me around and besides, I usually buy used); playability is a matter of my handing the guitar to a particular tech who knows how I want it to play. Doesn't matter much what the guitar is. Unless the guitar is so poorly built or so badly bent out of shape, it'll play beautifully when he's done. I long since know what the pickups sound like. I don't wait for something to "speak to me."

And the very last thing I'd do is ask a forum for "consensus." I'm the only one who has to play the darned thing, and what in the world would I care what anyone else thinks of it? [/RANT]
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I have to admire your persistence. I've gotten to the point where my eyes roll back in my head when I see another "what guitar should I buy?" thread. Usually it's "I'm thinking about buying this _____________ and just want to see what the consensus is." And that's followed up eight hours later by, "Well okay, there are some _____________haters here, but I went ahead and bought the ____________ and it should be here in three days."

By the time I'm ready to buy a guitar, I *know* what I'm getting. I'm nearly laser-focused on it, and only a truly crap example of one will thwart things. I don't go somewhere and try a bunch of them (usually there aren't a bunch of any of what interests me around and besides, I usually buy used); playability is a matter of my handing the guitar to a particular tech who knows how I want it to play. Doesn't matter much what the guitar is. Unless the guitar is so poorly built or so badly bent out of shape, it'll play beautifully when he's done. I long since know what the pickups sound like. I don't wait for something to "speak to me."

And the very last thing I'd do is ask a forum for "consensus." I'm the only one who has to play the darned thing, and what in the world would I care what anyone else thinks of it? [/RANT]

For me, shopping is a hobby. Helping others shop for things I know about lets me play around with money that isn't mine, and occasionally, I actually help someone find something they really love. "Bonus points" for me if it was something that the purchaser didn't know about before I started helping.

When I help others shop for things I know little or nothing about, I generally learn something. Sometimes, I learn that I don't give a damn about what we're shopping for.

With guitar shopping in particular, I get even more of a kick. I'm in Texas, and when I started shopping for my first electric- knowing nothing, guided by no one- I was presented with all the Gibsons, Fenders and Ibanez guitars I could ask for...and not a one really grabbed me. When I finally found what I wanted, I had to special order it. (That store now sells more guitars of that brand than most others in the region.)

So when I find someone wondering and wandering in he world of guitars, I try to offer the help that I didn't have.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-14-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Fernandes is another company to consider. They cater to hard rock musicians with higher output pickups and nice necks. These three models are all 25.5" scale.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/cla...er-classic.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/vulcan.html

Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
dspellman

Quote:

So when I find someone wondering and wandering in he world of guitars, I try to offer the help that I didn't have.

I usually do, too. My medication has now kicked in and I'm back in helpful mode <G>.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Shipshape

I vote for schecter: well built, neck feels great. Mine is a bit heavy but I don't really care about it.
Shipshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
eoj02
Metal Head

I loved my Schecter XXX until it was stolen but for that "shred" feeling, I like the Ibanez and Jackson's. Maybe its just showing my age...
eoj02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: