Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
PartyHuskies

Clean Slate - Need Pointers/Opinions on Getting a New Axe

Hello everyone, first time poster here. Here's the situation:

I've started playing guitar within the past few months, and buying/swapping guitars became sort of an addiction. What I just sold was my LTD 7-string, and my Epiphone G-400. I needed the extra cash. So I can see my budget being roughly around $400.00.

So here's the thing. Skill-wise, I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, but I'm definitely no maestro. More or less a novice. Something like that anyway. What I want to do is get a solid, affordable guitar that will last me a while and fit my play style. After I get better and increase my skills, I will move on to buying a higher-grade guitar.

Some of the styles I would like to dive into are Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Grunge, Post-grunge, a little bit of metal, etc. I would like to learn lead techniques, and I have learnt that I prefer a thinner-necked guitar. I know that only I can really find the best guitar that suits me, but what I would like to know is if there are any sort of brands/makes I should look out for quality and playability wise. You know, all that good stuff.

My instructor told me to look for an MIM Fender Strat/Tele. I would like to know your guys' thoughts/suggestions! Thanks for your time.
PartyHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
richards-keith

It's quite common to go through a lot of different guitars and equipment when you start playing, it's natural really because your learning and finding out what suites you so there's bound to be a bit of trail and error. Eventually you'll settle on something you like and you'll end up sticking with that pretty much. It's quite common for many people to start with something because their fave player had it and then they just grow up with that guitar and get used to it, then a few years later they end up trying something else and loving it and thinking why didn't I try this sooner.

Like I've never had a Les Paul, had loads of Strats, loads of Teles but never had a Les Paul. I've only just started playing again after a long lay off so I'm going to finally try a Les Paul and see what I think. I'm actually going to the guitar shop tomorrow to try one out after a lot of making up my mind and if I like it I'm going to get one. It's just a case of trying it and seeing what I think. I may not gel with it but wont know till I try it.

I'd always recommend getting a guitar that you'll keep if you like it, there's plenty of cost effective guitars that experienced players play, just because you're going budget doesn't mean it has to be something you grow out of, like the Squier CV series, it's maybe a little bit more than a total beginner guitar but it's a guitar you can keep if you like playing, and if you don't it'll hold it's value well. I'd say avoid the very cheap stuff and look at something just a bit up the ladder, those guitars like the CV will go all the way with you and you wont have to get shot of it as you progress.
richards-keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Fernandes is having a clearance on a limited number of its guitars via their direct-sales website. These are ridiculous deals, but once they're gone, they're gone. Here's 2 of their Strat-style guitars, made in Korea:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/...rocket-pro.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/...-deluxe-dg.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Dean Zelinsky Private Label's Tagliare line has SSS and HSS options:

http://deanzelinsky.com/collections/tagliare

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-15-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
PartyHuskies

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to test the waters and hit up the music shops/pawn shops pretty soon. I would really like to try a Squire CV 50's cause I keep hearing great things about them.

Also- thanks Danny, for linking these crazy deals. I'm tempted to get a Fernandes that is 75% off :P but I will have to think about that one. I guess people were quick to the draw on those Godins, too!
PartyHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
richards-keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyHuskies
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to test the waters and hit up the music shops/pawn shops pretty soon. I would really like to try a Squire CV 50's cause I keep hearing great things about them.

Also- thanks Danny, for linking these crazy deals. I'm tempted to get a Fernandes that is 75% off :P but I will have to think about that one. I guess people were quick to the draw on those Godins, too!

The Squires are awesome guitars, you'll never grow out of it. I intend to get one as soon as funds allow, I'm a tad spent out for today.
richards-keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: