Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
TastyHotCake

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Orange Rocker 30

Hey.. I'm torn between the fender hot rod deluxe and the orange rocker 30, i like to play crisp but bassy clean tones but i also love a heavy hitting smashing pumpkins distortion, i've played on both and they both sound great but i'm just wondering if anyone that owns one can tell me their advantages/disadvantages? i gig regularly around london and i need an amp that can last the gigging experience

cheers
TastyHotCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I'd take a Rocker 30, hands down. Better overdrive tones, by far, and arguably better cleans. The only thing the HRD excels at is loud, bassy cleans... But they aren't really that great, just loud and bassy.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist

The overdrive on the Fender is terrible. If you're just using it as a clean pedal platform, it would be a better choice than the Orange. However, if you want good overdrive and distortion from the amp the Orange wins all day.
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah if you want od and cleans probably the orange. personally i'd say the hrd has the better cleans, though, i wasn't too fussed on the orange's cleans (but then I like more fendery cleans).

the other thing is, for what you want there might be better options. you're kind of looking at one amp which has (IMO) great cleans (for its pricepoint) but poor distortion, and another which has (IMO) good distortion but poor cleans. A more happy medium type of amp which has decent cleans and distortion might be a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

As a HRD owner looking at Orange TH30Cs as a possible addition to my household, I'm largely in agreement...and watching this thread for suggestions.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
ikey_

orange. personally, i dont think the hot rod series has much character at all. i think they are the most bland of all teh fender tube amps, at least the well known models.

solid gigging amps. quality. 100% will sound good for sure. but they dont have the "fender mojo". you can get em cheap too.

but imo, if you gonna drop some quality money on a fender, i think the hot rod series is a waste. a "neutered fender".
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist

You could probably find a good early silverface Fender for the same price as a new HRD. I like the cleans on my SF more than the cleans on the HRD I used to have.
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Perverockstar69

My two cents: The HRD has a great clean channel, it sounds really juicy with a Big Muff in it and takes other pedals really good. The drive channel is absolutely USELESS.

The Orange, on the other hand, has a nice overdrive channes and the cleans are decent, nothing special.

I also think, like stated by other people here, that you can get better amps. If you tell us your budget and what do you need from an amp we will be able to help you better.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

To elaborate, I'm happy with the way my HRD sounds with my Carpet 'O Pedals, but it doesn't really get me any nice distortion tones. And it's actually worse on the drive channel. Utterly useless channel. So I've been looking at this as a second amp:

Orange
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TH30Combo

However, these interlopers have come to my attention:

Mesa/Boogie
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Exp525pls112/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectoVerb112CB/

Old 02-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
SpiralArchitec7

I have to agree with every one else. The HRD has good cleans but channel 2
is nothing more than a Complete waste of time and space! You should be able
To get a nice used twin for the same price as a new HRD. Or maybe just a touch
more money. But well worth it. Don't wast your money. That being said. My HRD
has been my only amp for the last 7 yrs.Haven't changed a tube or had a single
problem. And it does take pedals fairly well. I do get a good tone with my OCD.
But I myself am upgrading.
SpiralArchitec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

They are built like tanks, aren't they? Had mine since...2006? Never had a damn thing go wrong.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
ikey_

so...back to my statement, why buy a 2 channel amp where 50% of it is terrible?

@dannyalcatraz - i gotta respect orange, but for the love of god man buy that MESA!!!
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
SpiralArchitec7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
They are built like tanks, aren't they? Had mine since...2006? Never had a damn thing go wrong.

Yes,they are built to last. I have been in a hurry to get to
practice and forgot to strap it in my trunk only to have it
flop over and give a nice thud while I navigate traffic like a
Lunatic. Still serves me well.
SpiralArchitec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
so...back to my statement, why buy a 2 channel amp where 50% of it is terrible?

Well, in my defense, I was all about the clean channel when I bought it. I had no idea how bad the other channel was. In retrospect, I might have been happier with the Vox I was also considering at the time.

Still, love my HRD.
Quote:
@dannyalcatraz - i gotta respect orange, but for the love of god man buy that MESA!!!

Orange is used by many bands whose tone I like, so it's hard to top in my mind. Still, I respect M/B...so, of those two, which do you prefer and why?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
ikey_

well unless this is relevant to the TS, we are hijacking this thread.

in short, i find mesas to have feature sets that pretty much cant be matched. the switching, tonal, wattage options are insane. my only issue is that a lot of the greatest features are only on their 100 watters, why cant they make a <50 watt with all that stuff? i wonder if i played more of them in person if they sounded as good bedroom volumes. i have really played the mark 5 and a few of the transatlantic models.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
TastyHotCake

Ok well i should of stated before i wouldnt be using the amp for its overdrive or distortion (sorry i meant would it give me a great overdrive/distortion if i used my pedals through it).. i like the orange rocker 30 because i can turn down the gain and pump up the volume on the dirty channel to get a great mildly crunchy clean tone, which when combined with my hot cake sounds great (maybe a bit muddy and crackly though).
the thing is with the fender deluxe is can i put some gain on the clean channel? or do i have to use the 'terrible' overdrive?

all in all i need an amp that will take my reverb pedals my analog delays and my overdrives/distortions really well and not make me wish i was using the amp distortion or i bought a different amp. my price range is under 700 and i currently have a vox ac30vr (which is a cracking amp for the price, just a tad to chimey for me)

cheers
TastyHotCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
bobafettacheese

I honestly think that the Rocker would be the more versatile amp. The cleans might not be as good as the fender, but then you can just roll back the volume on your guitar to clean it up a little more.
Both amps take pedals well, thing with the Rocker is you won't need to to boost it to get a good gain, whereas the HRD you will, depending on what gain you are after.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

With pedals, the HRD can get some nice crunch on its clean channel. Nobody would mistake it for metal, though. If it helps, when I was shopping, it was down to that HRD and a similarly priced Vox combo amp to buy, mainly because of the cleanliness of their tones. The deciding factor for me was my guitar teacher at the time- he uses his HRD to gig all over Texas, playing blues, jazz, country, classic rock, etc.- everything but metal. (And I didn't realize how bad the dirty channel on the Fender was.)

The Orange, OTOH, starts off with a little dirt in the tone. (And those Mesas might also fit the bill.)

You already have an amp that has clean sounds fairly close to the HRD's, IMHO, and you're shopping for a slightly dirtier sound. If you can't get the sound you want out of your Vox with pedals, you probably can't coax them out of the Fender, either.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Guy_Mitchell
Terminally Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
To elaborate, I'm happy with the way my HRD sounds with my Carpet 'O Pedals, but it doesn't really get me any nice distortion tones. And it's actually worse on the drive channel. Utterly useless channel. So I've been looking at this as a second amp:

Orange
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TH30Combo

However, these interlopers have come to my attention:

Mesa/Boogie
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Exp525pls112/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectoVerb112CB/

I've been gasing pretty hard for a Rectumverb. The cleans are great.

I just wish they would start making the single Rectumfriers again.

The trip and dub never did for me what the single did.
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Guy_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: