Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
newbieplayer97

Swollen top

So recently, as I am a newbie in the acoustic guitar world, I brought my guitar to the beach, which is very warm here in Singapore... (I'm from Singapore! ) after a few days, I took my guitar out of my guitar back and I realized that the part behind the guitar bridge in slightly uneven, having a small bump... ( I guess it is swollen ) As my guitar is a laminated top guitar, is there anything I can do to remove this slight swollen bump? And is there anything I can do to remove the sand in my guitar? Thanks in advance!
newbieplayer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
mattgreen2205
Carlos Spicy Weiner

My top is also swollen and it is starting to hurt.

Should I stop playing with it?
mattgreen2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
newbieplayer97

No help?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

what size "small bump" are we talking about?
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
newbieplayer97

It just looks like a small bump that is uneven from the flat surface of the guitar, right behind the bridge...
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

it's probably nothing to worry about. most of my guitars have a bit of a bump there. if anything, humidity is your enemy. do you have a way to dehumidfy it?
as for the sand... well, you'll have to vacuum it next time you change the strings..... until then, you have a built in mariachi rattle !!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
newbieplayer97

How do you dehumidify a guitar? (I'm sorry, I don't know how.. HAHAHHA)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
ESBlonde

Humidity will expand the wood slightly and this causes it to 'swell' as you describe. As a matter of course you should avoid rapid changes of temperature or humidity for your guitar. Laying in the hot sun on a beach is as hard on the guitar as it is on the skin so protection or total avoidance are best.
If the guitar has a laminated top and you now have it back indoors where the climate/environment is more stable it may settle back to it's original form. Beware that it might have weakened the glue on the internal braces under the top, if these become loose they will rattle/buzz when played and with the top further weakened it will 'belly up' again behind the bridge while the top around the sound hole may 'dish'. Loose braces can be re-glued (at a cost) but may not be worth the effort on a cheap guitar. Also it may show signs of cracking in the finish eventually. Leaving guitars locked in sealed up cars during the summer can have disastrous results too and never stand them next to a radiator or in full sun steaming through the window.
The lesson here is to take care of acoustic guitars and only subject budget models to the elements of the beach or party atmosphere. Any really valuable guitars should be treated with great respect and stay in hard cases when not on stage or being used in rehearsal.
ESBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

[QUOTE}The lesson here is to take care of acoustic guitars and only subject budget models to the elements of the beach or party atmosphere. Any really valuable guitars should be treated with great respect and stay in hard cases when not on stage or being used in rehearsal.[/QUOTE]
a guitar is a toy for grownups. have fun with it. take it to the beach, sleep with it( buy it flowers first ), don't case it. you'll play it less of you do.
i probably wouldn't bring a BTO taylor to the beach but a 324? ...maybe, but with caution. i have some pretty stupidly expensive ones( far more than my talent should allow...should make me take a test before buying) and i've done some equally dumb things with them but i have no regrets..and no serious damage either... coupla scratches but the guitars did their jobs. and served their purpose..made a good time great.... isn't that why we buy them in the first place?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplayer97
It just looks like a small bump that is uneven from the flat surface of the guitar, right behind the bridge...
Pretty much all acoustics have a very slight rise in the location you're describing.

The strings are pulling on the bridge at a slight angle with about 165 pounds of tension.

Most guitars will have a very slight rise, fewer will have dead flat soundboards.

However, if the soundboard is concave, then you're in deep ca-ca. That means the top is starting to collapse, and the neck will be starting to rise, causing the action to rise dramatically.

My Fender "Sonoran", has a fairly puffy topped soundboard. In its case, I'm not exactly certain what caused it. It could be the top is too thin, excess humidity, or, I stored it in a cheap case which still had a bunch of residual solvent smell. Was that enough to soften the top and render it pliable? I'm not sure.

At any rate, I stored the guitar in an air conditioned room, case open, tuned down to D-D, for a month. The top camber didn't & hasn't changed in a noticeable way. So, I went with custom light strings, (.011 -.052), and sanded down the saddle to drop the action.

(Custom light string sets, reduce the neck tension 15 to 20 pounds, from 165, (acoustic light .012 to .053), down to about 150 pounds, or a bit less).

Keep in mind the top, either expanding OR contracting, can raise the action!

You've already been given care and storage ideas so, take this as anecdotal evidence of cause & effect issues about the acoustic guitar in general.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-04-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: