Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
mickel_w

Timbre of my voice

After extensive practice at home and 2 proper lessons, i am able to pick up a vocal melody and sing it mostly in tune. But the thing is, my voice sounds crap. I hate the timbre of it. Whereas other people have a nice, beautiful singing voice (different to their normal voice usually), mine is really similar to how I talk. Also I have a deep chest voice, and when I sing higher notes (not talking really high, just higher) my voice sounds.. weak. I can't think of any other appropriate word to describe it. I'm on pitch, but it just sounds shit.

Being from Yorkshire (north England) doesn't really help either.

Is this something I can change even slightly or do I just live with it?

Thanks for answers.
mickel_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Well...without hearing your voice just leaves me without judgement, which may or may not be a good thing.....but here's my take

1. If you picked up a guitar, would you expect to be able to play it after 2 lessons?
2. Sounding like everybody else is not something to strive for.....
3 Nobody likes there own voice...especially to begin with
4. Not everybody can sing, but it takes practice and persistence to find out ....just do it cause its fun and if it turns out your awful....well at least you sucked with a smile.
5. When you have found your voice, timbre, sound you will find it easier to listen to yourself.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
PSimonR
PSR

Well, you need to develop an accent you like. Chose an artist you like and try to sound like them - impersonators do it. Many English singers deliberately choose a "mid atlantic" accent so try that.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
Well, you need to develop an accent you like. Chose an artist you like and try to sound like them - impersonators do it. Many English singers deliberately choose a "mid atlantic" accent so try that.

For the love of god NO.

The first thing you need to do is learn your natural voice, get comfortable with it, and develop it as much as you can.

Trying to adopt an accent right off the bat will cause you to adapt all sorts of bad techniques. Once your fundamentals are solid, it's fine to experiment with different sounds, but get your fundamentals in order (and two lessons ain't gonna do it) FIRST!
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
mickel_w

Ok ok, thank you!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
mickel_w

But what about sounding 'weaker' at higher notes? Also I swear I've never met someone who has the same singing voice as their normal voice. Apart from me
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
GoldenGuitar

I can't tell you whether your singing voice is or is not the same as your speaking voice without hearing a recording. But it's probably not. As for sounding weaker at high notes, I'm guessing you are breaking into falsetto in your bridges. Or you're singing in your chest voice too loudly.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
mickel_w

My teacher said I have a strong chest voice, but not a head voice. Can someone explain how I could use my head voice more (like how to do it and how it's supposed to feel)? From what I can tell I'm still using my chest voice to reach higher notes.. and I shouldn't be doing that, right?
I'm new to singing as you can probably tell, so I don't know much.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #9
GoldenGuitar

When you say you can sing some higher notes in chest voice, how high are you talking about? If you can avoid it, refrain from pulling chest voice up high as it will cause vocal damage.
When you sing in head voice, the sound will be quite light, or if you have it strong it will have a bright and ringing quality to it. Depending on the timbre I'm after, I feel it anywhere between below where my nostrils are to the back of my head.

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 03-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
mickel_w

Well, I THINK I'm using my chest voice to reach high notes.. I guess the main thing I'm not sure about is when I'm using my head voice and when I'm using my chest voice. Before, when I tried to sing at a high pitch (for me) and recorded myself it sounded weak and nasal. When I tried to sustain a melody at higher pitches there would be breaks in my singing. I'll ask my teacher about this at my next lesson, obviously it's hard for you to know what I'm talking about if you can't see/hear me. Thanks anyway though.

Rate This Thread: