Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
ben12490

Questions about making cables.

I have been thinking of making my own cables. That way I can buy cable in bulk, cut it to desired length, and affix ends. Would this be cheaper than buying multiple cables in the long run? Is George L a good brand for buying bulk cable or is there something better? Is there anything complicated that I am overlooking? What kind of ends would be dependable?
ben12490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Cajundaddy

I did that way back in the day with 500' of Belden cable and a box full of Switchcraft ends. We all got together and had a soldering party. Many of those guitar and mic cables are still in use today 30 yrs later. Cables now are so inexpensive compared to back then because they are assembled by children in Asia instead of American union workers so the price savings of doing it yourself is nearly gone. You will learn a lot about soldering correctly, polarity, and repairing things when they break though.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

I still do this quite a bit for shorter patch cables on pedal boards. I usually use Canare or Mogami cable and Switchcraft ends. I've bought a fair bit from Have Inc and Redco. I put together a full guide with photos a while back if you want to know what you are getting into.

http://darkling.poppameth.com/makin...trument-cables/
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

If I end up with a cheap cable (happens fairly often because I'm a cheap person...) or if any cables I have break, I usually replace the ends with nice ones. I find the cable itself is usually fine (I'm pretty lo-fi anyway) and if you solder well then they'll be more reliable than they were.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

it would be cheaper to buy already made guitar cable. buying cable in bulk isnt as cost saving as it sounds, so it ends up costing alot per foot. and the jacks are also fairly expensive. they are easy to make though. Id rather fix cables than make them.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
ben12490

Thanks guys. I want to try and stay away from soldering since I don't have much time with work and stuff. I did end up buying a Planet Waves pedal board cable kit with the solderless ends, however. Think they will hold up well?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

Klotzl is my choice of cable. The jacks brand doesn't matter much, what matters is it's cable support. It needs to lock the cable in place rather than simply supporting with a spring. Neutrik is on the pricey side but there cable lock system is the best and that means fewer repairs in the future.

Making your own cables is more expensive than buying cheap cables but less expensive than buying good cables
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12490
Thanks guys. I want to try and stay away from soldering since I don't have much time with work and stuff. I did end up buying a Planet Waves pedal board cable kit with the solderless ends, however. Think they will hold up well?

They are new so I've never tried them. They are about 10x the price of a good quality Switchcraft end though so saving money is definitely out with those. You can buy a patch cable for $2 or build a Planet Waves patch cable for $20.
http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Pat...gle+patch+cable
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CP...%22+patch+cable

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 05-30-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
ben12490

I got the patch cable kit for about $28 off eBay, but for future reference, I will buy premade cables. Thank you, guys.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
dspellman

I buy Canare cable and Neutrik ends. The resulting cables are arguably as good as any of the most expensive lifetime warranty cables and save me (depending) 1/3 - 2/3rds of the cost. More importantly, I can make the lengths that I need.

With bulk, as with anything, the more you buy the more you save. I'll usually let other musicians, old band members, etc., know that I'm getting ready to do a run. On a couple of occasions, we've set up a couple of soldering stations, gotten together with snacks, etc., and made an evening of it. You can easily put together an entire band's needs for a year or more in a solo evening, and I've filled gig bags with cables when I've had someone to spell me for a bit.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: