Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Ronnie86
Ronnie

2 guitars , cant decide wich one...

hi, i'm looking to buy a new acoustic and stumbled upon 2 guitars that fit the price (700-1000 $) i had in mind. (not buying a martin or Taylor or other expensive guitar since its for hanging on the wall, quick grabbing it if i feel like it, taking to places,...) but that doesnt mean i dont want quality...

its still alot of money so im asking for some feedback before i decide.
any help is welcome

1st is : PRS Se Angelus Standard Piezo comes with a free case

2nd is : Takamine GN93CE

thx
Ronnie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

hmm... i hang my Taylors and Martin on the wall and grab and play them whenever... i take them places... we have deep meaningful conversations, share cupcakes on a warm sunny mornings...when they see me doing "silly" things, they don't tell "The Blonde" on me.
i like the Tak..nice warm sound with strong bass.
the PRS..not a clue, haven't run across the acoustics yet.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Ronnie86
Ronnie

lol yeah the thing is the prs has a "solid mahogany back" and the taka's got a "three-piece rosewood/quilt maple back". <--im no expert in this . i play mostly electrics

i also looked at a Taylor 114ce but ..no tuner onboard ! :O (wich i really REALLY like in an acoustic....)

the sound im going for is clear bright tone yet bass'ey(if that makes any sense )
Ronnie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

most of the best guitars in that price range DON'T have an onboard tuner. why not just use a snark, which are more accurate than the onboard tuners i've tried? that would open you up to tons of great guitars. having a solid back doesn't always mean a guitar sounds better than a really good solid top. the taks and breedlove atlas series guitars that had solid backs and lam sites didn't have the resonance that most all solid guitars offer.

have you considered seagull? they do include tuners in their acoustic electrics, and their mini jumbos have the same shape and general size as the tak you listed. a lot of their guitars sound really great, balanced with enough bass
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull...uitar.gc?ipp=25

Last edited by patticake : 03-07-2014 at 10:03 PM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

i second the Snark tuner. they're cheap enough that i have one for almost all of my cases. i trust them more than onboard tuners...just tried the onboard vs snark a few minutes ago on a Fender Hellcat( tim armstrong... ya know i gotta try it Patti, you suggest it a lot..needs decent strings), onboard says 3 strings are sharp, 3 snarks say otherwise.
the rosewood or mohogany laminate means very little...still laminate. the outer veneer isn't going to contribute much if at all to the tone.
if your looking at the taylor line and want more bass, go for the 110.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie86
lol yeah the thing is the prs has a "solid mahogany back" and the taka's got a "three-piece rosewood/quilt maple back". <--im no expert in this . i play mostly electrics

i also looked at a Taylor 114ce but ..no tuner onboard ! :O (wich i really REALLY like in an acoustic....)

the sound im going for is clear bright tone yet bass'ey(if that makes any sense )

On acoustics, the vast majority of your tone comes from the top, as it's the portion that picks up your resonating strings. It shouldn't factor into your decision making too much.

As mentioned, on-board tuners are usually features that the makers cheap out on, and if they ever fail are a bitch to remove. You can pick up one of those Snark clip on tuners for about $10 in the US, I'm not sure whether that price is close to what you could get them for in Belgium. Leave it on the headstock and it's practically the same thing. I don't even have to adjust the one I'm currently carrying on my classical, it slots in perfectly.

Are you willing to go used? That could probably drive the price down.

In my opinion, if you're looking for a brightness with some bass, you'll be better off looking for a Spruce/Cedar top. That being said, the strings you choose can have a big effect on the tone you ultimately have.

I prefer a darker tone, so I chose an all Mahogany Martin. After I played through it, I wanted some more clarity and brightness to the tone. I strung it with 80/20 Phosphorous Bronze strings and it balanced the tone beautifully. Now I have that depth of Mahogany coupled with the brightness of the strings. Just something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: