Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
bobduff80

Favourite plectrum for acoustic

was wondering which plectrums u favour above all others for acoustic. I got a timber tones 1 and absolutely love the percussive sound it gives while strumming.
bobduff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

those soft red plastic sharkfins. I don't like hard picks for acoustic. I almost always use my fingers anyway.
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
theogonia777
Professional Musician

I have these Dunlop Americana picks that I really dig. They are made specifically for bluegrass guitar and mandolin players. They are very wide and thick with highly rounded edges. They have a very soft and non-percussive sound for playing fast single note runs and tremolo picking and they are thick and sturdy enough for bluegrass rhythm playing.

The main downside is that, because they are so rounded, it doesn't get a very sharp attack and so they are fairly quiet compared to most other picks, and so you need to either pick harder or get the pick farther down into the strings. It definitely takes some getting used to, but the sound is pretty neat.

They are very weird to hold though. They are about 3mm in the center but taper to about 1.5mm closer to the outsides, and so they feel kind of strange, but oddly satisfying. The color and size of them makes them look very odd but unique (very old-timey, folky bluegrass look to them), and so they look silly with most instruments other than an acoustic guitar or mandolin (which is what they were designed for anyway).

They also come in a smaller, rounder, thinner variation with less of a point and more of a uniform thickness. They behave very similarly, but with an even softer (and quieter) attack that requires digging them in even further. I really don't like those ones.

They cost about $5 for a pack of three picks, which is a but expensive compared to other Dunlop flat picks (other than the Primetone and novelty picks), but that is still pretty negligible when it comes to music things, especially since they last for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Joe-Floyd-lover
ϐanned

My fingers.
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Joe-Floyd-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

I've been using gravity picks as well as red bear trading co. picks (although my red bear died).

The Red Bear picks are actually VERY expensive... considering you're buying a pick, but my turtle shell Red Bear was by far the best sounding pick I had ever used. At $20, it was REALLY pricey. However, when I compared it to regular plain old plastic picks, the difference was night and day. I broke my red bear though... I have a little key chain pick holder and broke it in the cold while I was tobogganing and fell on it.

Currently, I'm using a 3mm Gravity pick. Overall, it sounds better than most picks I've used and feels great to boot. I still preferred my classic red bear pick... but that's not really an option anymore.

I would highly suggest anyone who doesn't lose their guitar picks constantly to spend a bit more and buy some of these really sweet picks. It's pricey, but if you're looking for great tone, you can't go wrong.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate
...[ ]....The Red Bear picks are actually VERY expensive... considering you're buying a pick, but my turtle shell Red Bear was by far the best sounding pick I had ever used. At $20, it was REALLY pricey. However, when I compared it to regular plain old plastic picks, the difference was night and day. I broke my red bear though... I have a little key chain pick holder and broke it in the cold while I was tobogganing and fell on it.....[ ]....
Ah yes, "the thrilling days of yesteryear", as they apply to making music on stringed instruments, would be enough to make a conservationist cringe in horror and revulsion. What with genuine tortoise shell picks, and genuine cat gut strings......

Although, I don't know if they used the turtle picks and the catgut strings together. I guess it's not as bad if you only use one at a time.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

hmm... .75 mm, 2 mm and 3 mm Gravity picks usually. Chris hand makes some really nice picks short of Blue Chips. plus Dunlop tortex's when friends come over so my $6 picks don't keep disappearing. bad enough that i can NEVER find the clear .75mm's when i drop them on the floor.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
hmm... .75 mm, 2 mm and 3 mm Gravity picks usually. Chris hand makes some really nice picks short of Blue Chips. plus Dunlop tortex's when friends come over so my $6 picks don't keep disappearing. bad enough that i can NEVER find the clear .75mm's when i drop them on the floor.
You're trying to tell us you don't have a scope laying around?
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
You're trying to tell us you don't have a scope laying around?

ACOG's apprently are frowned upon in the music world...and by my neighbors
Old 03-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
bigginge

The 1mm green ones the local guitar shop sells. It's totally irrational I'm sure but I swear they sound better than the red or blue ones, which I keep for spares.
bigginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Bikewer

It's one of those questions.... Ask 100 players and you'll get a hundred answers.

Lot depends on if you're mostly strumming (generally lighter picks) or playing fast, single-note lines. (generally heavier)

I flatpick mostly in a bluegrass style, with "boom-chicka-boom" rhythm punctuated by single-string runs and solos.
I use the standard Dunlop nylon picks in .88 mm. They are stiff enough for single-note playing even on the bass strings, have a sharper point for a nice "ringing" bluegrass sound, and are dead cheap and readily available.
And they last forever.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: