Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Kapkrusdader

Looking to upgrade Acoustic Guitar..??

I have a Yamaha FG700s an have been playing for 2 years self taught from youtube..Decided to get lessons to find flaws in my playing an broaden what little knowledge i have..I am a pure strummer an realize i have to learn some picking i guess..

If i upgrade my guitar to a much better guitar will it be easier to play ?? i dont mean play it for me,i love my yamaha ,i mean help me play easier an sound much better?? clearer etc ?? Or is a good guitar a good guita period ?? not sure what i need to look for an what the difference is in good guitars..like what make s a good martin so good ??my guitar store has one up there for 1400.00 but as a casual novice i think it would be very dumb for me to invest in such a guitar
Kapkrusdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Cajundaddy

What do you want a guitar upgrade to do for you? What are your goals?

Spending a lot more $$ doesn't always mean significantly better results. A Martin O-18, D28, and D35 are marvelous guitars but big bucks. Few ears can hear the difference between a $3k Martin and a $500 Seagull so choose wisely.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Kapkrusdader

No particular goal.. My main objective is to entertain myself an maybe family out back on summer nights as i grow old..no band, no public playing,just solo acoustic self entertainment..bought my daughter a 130.00 spencer acoustic that has 3 hours on it now and its not even in the same ballpark as my 200.00 Yamaha fg 700s.
Kapkrusdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Why not keep the Yamaha man? It's honestly a very good guitar for the price? But then again. If you have your mind set to getting a new guitar, I'm not going to stop you. Ha.

What price range are you thinking?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

have you tried getting the FG700 set up so it's easier to play? that's the first thing my husband and i do when we get a new guitar. or you could try lighter strings - either extra lights or thomastik plectrums, which are low tension strings that sound really neat. in fact, changing to other strings can make a big difference in tone - and always give the strings you choose at least a week to break in and lose the new string sound before moving to the next.

some that sound really different from each other include DR rares, which add brilliance and are worth a shot, martin silk and steels, which make a mellower tone and are softer on the fingers, the afforementioned thomastik plectrums, red strings (we didn't like 'em, but they definitely sound different), and go from there. we use different strings on different guitars, although i do tend to use d'addario pb extra lights or custom lights on some of my axes.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Cajundaddy

I still use a Yamaha FG180 that I bought new in 1973. Still a pretty nice axe and I did a wedding gig in Hawaii last year with it. I do like my Seagull better and it is my go-to acoustic axe but both get the job done just fine. Go play a few and see if one speaks to you.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapkrusdader
....[ ]....If i upgrade my guitar to a much better guitar will it be easier to play ??
Three basic things make a guitar easy or hard to play, the height of the action, the length of the scale, and the gauge of the strings. That assumes the same body styles.

(A Les Paul is way easier to play than an acoustic 12 string, I'm not comparing apples to oranges).

So, given those three factors as equals, a $200.00 Yamaha, will play the same as a $2000.00 Martin. And plus or minus some minor details, that's the stone cold truth.

If somebody handed you a Martin tomorrow, you'd still sound like you playing, but with a somewhat better "tone".

If you're interested in buying another guitar, don't let me stop you. But, buy it to pique and maintain your interest, and inspire you to play more.The biggest thing a new guitar does for a person, (IMO), is produce the inspiration to, "live up to its potential).

You can setup, or have, your Yamaha setup, and it will play as well, or better than, the next 25.5" scale, dreadnought body, 1 11/16" neck width body guitar you pick up.

Keep in mind though, there's no getting around the fact that a high end guitar is an ego trip. If that helps you to get where you want to go, that's great. But bear in mind, it will never be able to pick you up and carry you there. That's your job.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-10-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

while lower action has affected playability the most for me - unless i decided to take a shortcut and use lighter strings - other things can make a guitar easier or harder for people to play. there's nut width and string spacing, radius and profile, and overall thickness of the neck. i have small hands, but find it more comfortable to play a guitar with a wider nut and string spacing, and prefer a rounded- but not too rounded - profile. i dislike some shapes (particularly a D neck, which is very uncomfortable for me after a few minutes) although a soft V can be okay. i like less rounded fingerboards, too, and am pretty comfy with even an un-radiased fingerboard. you probably don't know your preferences/comforts regarding these things yet, but they can make lots of difference when it comes to playability.

a $1400 martin is close to entry level in their all solid models. the good stuff starts over $2000, and my favorite martin runs about $3200, although i personally don't find martins to be the ultimate guitar. for less than $1400 one could buy an all-solid guild GAD series guitar, or an all-solid seagull or larrivee (these two brands are made in canada). there are some very nice eastmans in this price range, and i've been very impressed by the eastmans i've played. there's also blueridge and recording king, both of which make guitars in the martin style with some of that traditional tone.

nothing wrong with martin, taylor and gibson, but there are other brands out there that make some very nice guitars - not the same, but as good.

Last edited by patticake : 03-10-2014 at 02:43 AM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
fishmike

UG... this is not helping. I have the same Yamaha as the TS. I do love it, but I feel I have surpassed it. Its my first guitar, I bought it five years ago and I play it daily, but I just want something a bit 'better'

I almost pulled the trigger on a Taylor 214CE:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-...943-i2288005.gc

It got great reviews and I like playing it, but I read it was designed for finger picking and light strumming. Considering I like to "strum" at times like the guitar has personally offended me Im not quite sure.

I like to play some soft mellow stuff, but I like making a racket also.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmike
UG... this is not helping. I have the same Yamaha as the TS. I do love it, but I feel I have surpassed it. Its my first guitar, I bought it five years ago and I play it daily, but I just want something a bit 'better'.....[ ].....
We did try to answer the questions the TS posed.

If it's not helping "you", then you shouldn't bother trying to hijack the thread. Jus' sayin'....

You can always start you own thread. It's free!

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-10-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmike
UG... this is not helping. I have the same Yamaha as the TS. I do love it, but I feel I have surpassed it. Its my first guitar, I bought it five years ago and I play it daily, but I just want something a bit 'better'

I almost pulled the trigger on a Taylor 214CE:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-...943-i2288005.gc

It got great reviews and I like playing it, but I read it was designed for finger picking and light strumming. Considering I like to "strum" at times like the guitar has personally offended me Im not quite sure.

I like to play some soft mellow stuff, but I like making a racket also.

Bullcrap, it's just thinner so its not gonna be as loud as a traditional body guitar. I would of bought it man, I personally love Taylors but can't afford them.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Bullcrap, it's just thinner so its not gonna be as loud as a traditional body guitar. I would of bought it man, I personally love Taylors but can't afford them.
You love Taylors, so they're automatically the guitar for someone else? Not really.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
You love Taylors, so they're automatically the guitar for someone else? Not really.

Read the post I quoted dude, he didn't buy it cause the reviews said it was more for finger picking instead of strumming.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Read the post I quoted dude, he didn't buy it cause the reviews said it was more for finger picking instead of strumming.
*OK. The reviews said it was for finger picking. Granted I only pay so much attention to reviews, even my own.

OTOH, a person really shouldn't plunk down the going price of a 214, while being noncommittal about the instrument.

If the review is clouding his judgment, he should try some more guitars, and see if they lead him back to the Taylor, not go, "all in", on a whim.

As I stated earlier, this isn't his thread to begin with.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
*OK. The reviews said it was for finger picking. Granted I only pay so much attention to reviews, even my own.

OTOH, a person really shouldn't plunk down the going price of a 214, while being noncommittal about the instrument.

If the review is clouding his judgment, he should try some more guitars, and see if they lead him back to the Taylor, not go, "all in", on a whim.

As I stated earlier, this isn't his thread to begin with.

I found that out after I posted.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapkrusdader
If i upgrade my guitar to a much better guitar will it be easier to play ?? i dont mean play it for me,i love my yamaha ,i mean help me play easier an sound much better?? clearer etc ?? Or is a good guitar a good guita period ?? not sure what i need to look for an what the difference is in good guitars..like what make s a good martin so good ??my guitar store has one up there for 1400.00 but as a casual novice i think it would be very dumb for me to invest in such a guitar

there's nothing wrong with upgrading to a better guitar. every time i upgrade, i work a lot harder to learn better techniques and more challenging songs. i still stink, i'll only ever play the occasional open-mic. so i'll sit at home and enjoy the beautiful sounds my upgraded guitars make. there are worse things to spend your money on. if you have the disposable income, go for it ! you'll be happy that you did..you will have a short period of guilt at first( it's human nature) about lavishing yourself with such a nice gift. it'll pass. you'll work harder at your playing and you'll have more fun...and that's what it's really all about right? enjoying your hobby.

Rate This Thread: