Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
djerzinski

Amp simulator

Hi,

I am looking for a new amp simulator and as I don't know much about it, I need some help.
I already have a Berhinger V-Amp 3 and I find it very useful. I mainly use it for guitar recording on my computer.
However, I think it is kind of cheap and I would like change it for something better.

Can you recommand me something, please ?

(My budget is around 300€/400$)
djerzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodHD/

Line 6 Pod HD Desktop model. Get it while that price lasts, I think they're discontinuing it.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Zoom G3/5.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
djerzinski

Ok, thanks.

What do they mean by the "resolution" of modeling ?

Is Line6 POD HD300 better than the one you showed me ?

Last edited by djerzinski : 03-10-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
jjbarnes
You read these?

They could be talking about a number of things, the sample rate, the modeling algorithms or any number of other things. Basically, they are claiming that their simulations sound more like the amps they are modeling than the other guys.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

The Zoom g3/5 has a looper, metronome in the form of drumbeats, sounds good through headphones and its pretty cheap but the actual quality is pretty good.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerzinski
Ok, thanks.

What do they mean by the "resolution" of modeling ?

Is Line6 POD HD300 better than the one you showed me ?

If you're gonna go for that style of amp simulator you'd be best served by saving your money for the POD HD 500X
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
djerzinski

V-amp 3 is not that bad, but it has a very synthetic sound... and it looks a toy.
You don't have batteries on it. If you don't have a good ground for your electric installation, you'll take all the parasites from the it (especially when using overdrive).

I just want something clean with a usable sound. It's really the amp modeling part that interests me. I almost never use effects, just knowing that I have all these things that I have no use for (and that are not necessarily great) would bother me.

Zoom g3 seems to be a good device, but is there something from a higher range that you can recommand me ?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadslts75
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodHD/

Line 6 Pod HD Desktop model. Get it while that price lasts, I think they're discontinuing it.

I think the only reason they made it is in honor of the old kidney bean PODs, but obviously the floorboard and rack versions are better designs and have better features such as switches and the expression pedal.
Clay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

Yes and right now the kidney bean is beating ebay prices on sweetwater. You can always get the FBV later and still be cheaper than the 500X and have a board full of switches that can be used for other stuff too.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadslts75
Yes and right now the kidney bean is beating ebay prices on sweetwater. You can always get the FBV later and still be cheaper than the 500X and have a board full of switches that can be used for other stuff too.

True, but I'd prefer to get an old non X 500 for my Variax. Runs about 300-400 on ebay.
Clay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
diabolical

How about something PC based? There are free vsts that are quite good or one of the paid software vsts, like Amplitube, etc.?

I personally use Boss GT-10, you can get one used, has USB built in interface, or the new GT-100.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
How about something PC based? There are free vsts that are quite good or one of the paid software vsts, like Amplitube, etc.?

Definitely something to look into. I use a lot of VSTs and even some of the free ones (like the LePou stuff) sounds really friggin' great. Paid programs are pretty cool but soundwise I'd probably take Overloud TH2 over AT3 and GR5.

You'd just need something like an M-Audio Fast Track or a Line 6 GX to plug into your computer and you'd be set.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-man
I think the only reason they made it is in honor of the old kidney bean PODs, but obviously the floorboard and rack versions are better designs and have better features such as switches and the expression pedal.

The Pod HD will be replaced by an HDx model.

The floorboard and rack are not "better designs" by any means.

The Pod "bean" design is pretty awesome. It'll do anything (sonically) that the floor and rack versions will do. It'll also fit into a gig back pocket and go anywhere and it's the lightest weight version of the three. It'll sit on your desk for recording, it'll sit on a microphone stand, etc., at a better height to see what's going on with it. You can use several floor pedal setups for it, including the FBV Shortboard and Express, both of which have switches and expression pedal. But only if you need to.

The Live (floor model) HD500/400/300 versions are fine, but all are bulky and require that you kneel down or bend over and squint at the tiny screen to see what's happening or to make a change. If you have it out front next to a microphone for live use, you also have to have another relatively expensive guitar cable running back to the backline, you need the AC brick out front as well as some kind of AC power. Not so with the footpedals for the rack or "bean" models -- both of those units require only a cheap ethernet cable running across the floor. No AC, no guitar cable. An HD500, for example, puts ALL the vital electronics and switching out front where it's vulnerable to beer spillage, drunks falling on it and a myriad of other potential disasters.

The rack version requires a rack case, and that combination is a helluva lot heavier and bulkier than the "bean." Otherwise, it DOES work very much like the bean. It's also far more expensive than the bean or the Live version and it still requires additional floorboard type pedals for switching and expression if you're using it live.

The main reason for having either the floorboard version or the rack version is the Variax input, which allows you to use an ethernet-type cable from the unit to the Variax guitar. This allows you to store and change not only amp/cab/FX models with a single stomp, but also the guitar model and any alternate tunings. It also eliminates normal guitar cables, which eliminates capacitance issues, etc. There's certainly a use for all three styles, but if you've never used the bean, you won't understand OR appreciate the design.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

So the Variax won't plug into the POD HD bean?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #16
dannyyy

Boss have just announced the new GT-001 guitar processor which sounds like it would suit your needs. That's if you hadn't already noticed it plastered on the homepage of UG!

It's based on the GT100's COSM amps so it's meant to sound great, and is really compact for studio use.
dannyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
MultiM

The ZOOM G5, I have one, a great unit actually, especially for the price, you can use it as an audio interface and use some equalizing from some vst that comes with your DAW, plus, you can use it as an audio interface, I'm really happy with it.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiM
The ZOOM G5, I have one, a great unit actually, especially for the price, you can use it as an audio interface and use some equalizing from some vst that comes with your DAW, plus, you can use it as an audio interface, I'm really happy with it.

So you can use it as an audio interface AND as an audio interface? Awesome

Good advice though, great pedal.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
MultiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
So you can use it as an audio interface AND as an audio interface? Awesome

Good advice though, great pedal.

Sorry made a typo :P I meant you can use it with amp simulator vsts like LePou or amplitube.....

Rate This Thread: