Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Electric Devil

got me an accoustic

Hey guys,
So about a month ago or so i got this accoustic guitar from a friend of mine it's a ibanez pf5cent,Now im an electric guitar guy but this felt pretty huge in my hands but i got used to it over the time now my electric guitar feels small haha.
Anyway but i notice when i go for an A chord or anything that involves putting my finger on the first fret it hurts my fingers or it's a bit difficult to press the string in that area.
Is that normal for accoustics? or do i need a different gauge? im so used to my 11 gauges on my electrics
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Captaincranky

Normal for acoustics would be, "acoustic light", or .012 to 053.

Your acoustic could have maybe "acoustic medium), or .013 to .056, which are quite a handful.

An acoustic body sucks up more energy than and electric body (*), you need to push down harder, when you swing harder.

Beyond that, your new guitar could need a proper setup. Since you primary complaint is in the open position, the grooves in the top nut could be not quite deep enough, causing the difficulty with the A chord. (How difficult is the 1st fret F barre)? chord

Your strings, ("action") could be too high overall, which also causes additional fretting force to be necessary.

As a broad generalization though, an acoustic's action, needs to be a slight bit higher than an electric's, given the same gauge strings.

Here's a good guide to acoustic setup: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/...up_page_01.html Read through it first. If you decide to tweak your guitar yourself, please follow the setup steps in the exact order Mr. Becker presents them. If you don't all kinds of screw up and disaster could ensue.

(*) Unless of course, your electric is a full depth F-hole type jazz box, in which case there wouldn't be much difference.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-11-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Electric Devil

im gonna just replace the strings hopefully that'l help out.any recommendations? i always use regular slinky 10 gauge (bright yellow package) on my electric would that work on my accoustic?

Last edited by Electric Devil : 03-11-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

if you want to use 10s or 11s on your acoustic, get them for acoustics, not electrics.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Electric Devil

thanks patticake and cranky,so i got me some new strings and im trying to put them in and i've run into a problem when i try to put tension on the strings to tune them the pins on the bridge keep popping up and it's really annoying cause i cant get my guitar to tune any help?

Last edited by Electric Devil : 03-12-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
sniderfan

Try this if you haven't already... make sure notches on bridge pins are facing forward toward neck. Using only the pressure of your hand or finger, snug the pin in place. Now, pull on string to snug it up. there will be some slippage due to the ball setting into place. That's normal. Then wind as usual leaving 3-4 wraps under the hole in the tuning peg. After they're all tightened up, pull upward on each string with moderate pressure to stretch them a bit... finally, tune and play... good luck... hope this helps
sniderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
thanks patticake and cranky,so i got me some new strings and im trying to put them in and i've run into a problem when i try to put tension on the strings to tune them the pins on the bridge keep popping up and it's really annoying cause i cant get my guitar to tune any help?
My, my, you are an "electric addict". Or "devil", I suppose, if you prefer.

You have to put a, "J bend" in the ball end of the string. Then insert the string, making sure the ball is underneath the bridge wood, toward the neck of the guitar.

You're just putting the ball into the pin holes, and that's why they're popping out.

If you want ".011's", you should be looking looking at, "Custom light gauge", (D'Addario nomenclature). All such sets are about, .011 to .053, "extra light" sets run, .010 to .047, that's the same as, "electric regular". (OK, "electric regular is .010 to .046, so sue me... )

In any case, now that you've become an, "acoustic angel", you need to figure out what basic tonality you want from your new box. There are two basic types of acoustic strings, "phosphor bronze", (warm and mellow), and "brass" or 80/20 alloy, (quite bright).

Different guitars and different players, have different needs. Look forward to a bit of experimentation while finding your sound.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Electric Devil

erm..i dont think it's working its still popping out,the pin on my 'A' string seems to feel loose even when it's in the bridge is that normal?

also do the pins have to go in a certain order?

Last edited by Electric Devil : 03-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
erm..i dont think it's working its still popping out,the pin on my 'A' string seems to feel loose even when it's in the bridge is that normal?

also do the pins have to go in a certain order?
No, the pins are, "one size fits all", and the strings need to ride in the grooves..

If they are still popping out, the ball ends aren't under the bridge far enough. Keep in mind the wood is about 1/2" thick at that point, and the ball has to be concealed underneath it!

I don't have a link for you offhand, but YouTube can be your friend too. Use the search term, "stringing an acoustic guitar tutorial", or similar. I know there are such videos, and if , "a picture is worth a thousand words, think how many "thousand words" happen, @ 30FPS.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-12-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Electric Devil

the ball ends are pretty far down there,i still dont get why just that one is popping out i used the same method with the other strings and theyre just fine
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Garthman

The problem is due the ball-end of the string being caught under the end of the bridge pin instead of the guitar top. A good trick that usually solves the problem is to cut a slice off the bottom of the bridge pin to make a 45 degree angle.
Garthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Cajundaddy

This is pretty close to the method I use.

Rate This Thread: