Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Float777

Cable quality question

I am running a Monster Cable from guitar>pedal>shitty cable> amp. If I replace shitty cable
WITh monster cable, does it effect? Because I can tell differences in just straight guitar>cable>amp. Wondering if the same appies when a pedal is in the mix?
Float777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Honestly, I find Monster cables to be overpriced and never been impressed by the "quality" other people tend to find. But alot of people like them so

Personally I really like mogami cables. You can buy bulk cable and solder your own to lengths that you want or can order ones from MF and other retailers. I fell they are higher quality than monster but that's personal opinion
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Float777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestratplayer
Honestly, I find Monster cables to be overpriced and never been impressed by the "quality" other people tend to find. But alot of people like them so

Personally I really like mogami cables. You can buy bulk cable and solder your own to lengths that you want or can order ones from MF and other retailers. I fell they are higher quality than monster but that's personal opinion

You didn't even answer my question lmao. Mogami cables are mad expensive aren't they? Monster is like 15 bucks or some shit
Float777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
wildozer
Not A Registered User

Why don't you tell us? You've just said you own a shitty cable and a monster cable. Compare the two.

It is a heavily debated topic though. I would say that a very shitty cable may have a noticeable difference in sound to a high quality cable. But I believe that once you get over a certain threshold of just being a decent cable that isn't the cheapest you can find, then any differences are going to become very hard to hear/negligible.

A thicker and higher quality cable will have less impedance than a thinner/lower quality one. The higher the impedance, the more tone suckage there is going to be. Impedance also increases with cable length and with the number of connections in your signal chain. Connections include pedal jacks.

Basically. Don't totally cheap out on cables, but there is no need to buy gold plated top of the range. It's up to you where you draw the line though.

EDIT: What pedal are you using? It may be the pedal altering your guitar's tone more than the cable. When pedals are not engaged, many of them have a buffer circuit which can create a noticeable difference in your sound.

Last edited by wildozer : 03-11-2014 at 10:33 AM.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

I honestly couldn't tell what your question was. It seemed as though you were wanting to replace some cables with better ones.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Guy_Mitchell
Terminally Salty

I just buy Rapco Horizon because they don't come with all that bullshit plastic packaging.

I guess it could effect your signal if you swapped cable positions. I'd bet most people wouldn't notice it. Just like when I blind tested my friend, I handed him the same strat twice and he said he could hear the difference between the mahogany and the ash.

I think what you're mainly hearing is signal loss, though. Look up the youtube video of the Wampler Decibel+, it shows the difference in sound between a few foot cable and a 30 foot cable. As the amount of wire increases and various pedals it goes through, your signal gets weaker because its traveling farther. That's why some people have buffers like the Decibel+ on their pedalboards.
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Guy_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: