Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
EpiLP9

More Questions On Ohms and Speakers...

I'm back with more questions.

My Traynor YGM-3 combo (tube amp) has a 12" speaker in it, but I don't know what the impedance is (I'm guessing 8 ohms). It has an extension speaker jack that is unlabled. (I'm assuming 8 ohms). Is there any way to test how many ohms the ext speaker jack can handle, and what impedance the native speaker needs to be? I don't want to blow anything up.

Also, if I were to buy a new 8 ohm speaker, would the impedance be exactly 8 ohms when tested?

Thanks!
EpiLP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

From the owners manual "The jack marked "Ext. Speaker" may be used to connect an extension cabinet with a minimum rating of 8 ohms, 40 watts."

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/ownersman/omygm3.pdf
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

The back of the speaker should say the impedance. When tested with an ohmmeter it most likely wouldn't read exactly 8 ohms because that measures just the resistance, but it should be around there.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

^^ Yeah just stick a multimeter on the + and - lugs of the speaker, and it should give you a reading close to 8 or 16.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
EpiLP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
From the owners manual "The jack marked "Ext. Speaker" may be used to connect an extension cabinet with a minimum rating of 8 ohms, 40 watts."

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/ownersman/omygm3.pdf

Thanks! However, my YGM-3 is an original '74 one, so I don't know if it would be the same. (But probably.) And "minimum of 8 ohms, 40 watts", so this means the speaker(s) has to total up to a total load of 8 ohms, right?, and the speaker wattage can exceed 40, right?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiLP9
Thanks! However, my YGM-3 is an original '74 one, so I don't know if it would be the same. (But probably.) And "minimum of 8 ohms, 40 watts", so this means the speaker(s) has to total up to a total load of 8 ohms, right?, and the speaker wattage can exceed 40, right?

No, it means that the external speaker has to be at least 8 ohms by itself.

Yes, speaker rated wattage can exceed but shouldn't be less than.

Also, the manual looks like it's from that era and they just reprinted it...
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I had the same question about my Traynor YCV50 when I converted it to a head and emailed Traynor asking whether the amp wants 4 or 8 ohms and how it can do either without switching something and they said it's totally fine and doesn't matter. I guess they just build their amps able to handle anything within that range.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
EpiLP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
I had the same question about my Traynor YCV50 when I converted it to a head and emailed Traynor asking whether the amp wants 4 or 8 ohms and how it can do either without switching something and they said it's totally fine and doesn't matter. I guess they just build their amps able to handle anything within that range.

I just emailed Traynor about it. They are usually pretty helpful. Thanks everyone for the quck replies.

Rate This Thread: