Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
EpiLP9
Registered User
 
EpiLP9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
More Questions On Ohms and Speakers...

I'm back with more questions.

My Traynor YGM-3 combo (tube amp) has a 12" speaker in it, but I don't know what the impedance is (I'm guessing 8 ohms). It has an extension speaker jack that is unlabled. (I'm assuming 8 ohms). Is there any way to test how many ohms the ext speaker jack can handle, and what impedance the native speaker needs to be? I don't want to blow anything up.

Also, if I were to buy a new 8 ohm speaker, would the impedance be exactly 8 ohms when tested?

Thanks!
EpiLP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
From the owners manual "The jack marked "Ext. Speaker" may be used to connect an extension cabinet with a minimum rating of 8 ohms, 40 watts."

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/ownersman/omygm3.pdf
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
 
jthm_guitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Coast USA
The back of the speaker should say the impedance. When tested with an ohmmeter it most likely wouldn't read exactly 8 ohms because that measures just the resistance, but it should be around there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
when you sense an attack slap the sack

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
^^ Yeah just stick a multimeter on the + and - lugs of the speaker, and it should give you a reading close to 8 or 16.
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
EpiLP9
Registered User
 
EpiLP9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
From the owners manual "The jack marked "Ext. Speaker" may be used to connect an extension cabinet with a minimum rating of 8 ohms, 40 watts."

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/ownersman/omygm3.pdf


Thanks! However, my YGM-3 is an original '74 one, so I don't know if it would be the same. (But probably.) And "minimum of 8 ohms, 40 watts", so this means the speaker(s) has to total up to a total load of 8 ohms, right?, and the speaker wattage can exceed 40, right?
EpiLP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiLP9
Thanks! However, my YGM-3 is an original '74 one, so I don't know if it would be the same. (But probably.) And "minimum of 8 ohms, 40 watts", so this means the speaker(s) has to total up to a total load of 8 ohms, right?, and the speaker wattage can exceed 40, right?


No, it means that the external speaker has to be at least 8 ohms by itself.

Yes, speaker rated wattage can exceed but shouldn't be less than.

Also, the manual looks like it's from that era and they just reprinted it...
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
 
jthm_guitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Coast USA
I had the same question about my Traynor YCV50 when I converted it to a head and emailed Traynor asking whether the amp wants 4 or 8 ohms and how it can do either without switching something and they said it's totally fine and doesn't matter. I guess they just build their amps able to handle anything within that range.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
when you sense an attack slap the sack

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
EpiLP9
Registered User
 
EpiLP9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
I had the same question about my Traynor YCV50 when I converted it to a head and emailed Traynor asking whether the amp wants 4 or 8 ohms and how it can do either without switching something and they said it's totally fine and doesn't matter. I guess they just build their amps able to handle anything within that range.

I just emailed Traynor about it. They are usually pretty helpful. Thanks everyone for the quck replies.
EpiLP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.