Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
ognjenmijatov

The best brand of electric guitar for metal music?

Which brand of electric guitar is the best for playing metal music (In your opinion) and why?
ognjenmijatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

There is no "best": it varies from player to player...and for some players, it may vary song to song.

When I play harder genres of music, I tend to reach for my Dean, Fernandes, Malden, or Electra guitars first.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-18-2014 at 04:36 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
ognjenmijatov

Then can you tell me some good electric guitar brands for metal?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Besides those I mentioned, Ibanez, ESP, LTD, BC Rich, Shecter are all major players in the global market for "metal" guitars. PRS, Agile, DBZ and Minarik also show up with some frequency.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
ognjenmijatov

How about Jackson, Dean, Epiphone? In your opinion are Gibson guitars good for metal (like Gibson SGM 2014, Gibson SG '50s Tribute and Gibson SG'70s Tribute)?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
ognjenmijatov

Sorry for bad English, I mean Is Jackson, Dean and Epi good?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
ThatHarlequin

It honestly depends on what metal. For some Iommi, an SG would be the obvious choice. For some Metallica, an ESP would suit best, etc.
ThatHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
ognjenmijatov

I like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Slipknot, Metallica, Asking Alexandria, Black Label Society, Ozzy Osburne, Foo Fighters, Judas Priest, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Ram Jam, Chuck Berry, Eddie Van Halen, Elvis Presley, Behemoth, Disturbed, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Lenny Kravitz, Guns N' Roses, Arch Enemy, etc. Actually, I need guitar that I can play everything on it, from Rock 'n' Roll to Heavy Metal.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
AmIEvil?

So you're looking to buy a guitar? What's your budget? New/used? Which country do you live in?
AmIEvil? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognjenmijatov
I like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Slipknot, Metallica, Asking Alexandria, Black Label Society, Ozzy Osburne, Foo Fighters, Judas Priest, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Ram Jam, Chuck Berry, Eddie Van Halen, Elvis Presley, Behemoth, Disturbed, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Lenny Kravitz, Guns N' Roses, Arch Enemy, etc. Actually, I need guitar that I can play everything on it, from Rock 'n' Roll to Heavy Metal.

The only thing that will get you all of those tones would be a line6 variax and a decent modelling amp; there is so much variety there, even within some of the artists, that no one set of a traditional amp and guitar is going to cover all those bases.

Decide which one you want to do most; the one that you really don't want to skip out on, then you might be able to get some useful answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
adverse83

OK im new here. But I would say worry about the action and neck and trem (or hard tail) you want first. You can always change pickups latter. Get what feels right to you first. After that you can get whatever metal sound from different pickups and amps and pedals and whatever. And these days if your just starting (depending on what type of metal your talking about) you have to consider 7 strings even. Ill never go 7, but if I was a young one now I would consider it maybe.
adverse83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

I would recommend a PRS. I got a Tremonti SE Custom recently and it is incredibly versatile. It can play fast solos, fat heavy rhythms and some really nice cleans.

Generally though, there isn't a best brand. Its down to personal preference. My Epi LP has been fine for metal all the years I've had it.

Are you finding out so you can buy one or just asking in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
The Judist
The problem is choice

PRS and ESP are good for metal but the best is Daisy Rock, hands down.
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #15
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
I would recommend a PRS. I got a Tremonti SE Custom recently and it is incredibly versatile.

I agree.

A PRS SE Mark Tremonti, SE 245 or SE Custom 24 would be great options. Extremely versatile guitars, high quality, well built and reliable.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
cheesefries
High Five!

Man you can use any "style" for metal.

Les Paul - Zakk Wylde
SG - Iommi
Strat - Maiden like.
Tele - Jim Root
PRS - alot of new metal and Tremonti fans.

They all work equally well. Just pick em all up until you find the one you like the feel of and get it setup for teh metal.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
dspellman

Yeah, there simply is no "brand" for metal. Almost every brand has guitars that are highly usable, and nearly every top brand has been used by artists in creating the music you hear.

It gets worse; often what you hear on a recording has little or nothing to do with what a band is using onstage. This is particularly true where band members are endorsing products and being paid serious bucks to do so. I've seen players show up with 50 different guitars, I've seen them show up with a Variax, and I've seen them show up with their favorite old beat up whatever in the studio, then go out and do the whole flash and dazzle thing. Often it's just stage decoration and eye candy. Ultimately, it's all a way to influence your buying decision.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
PRS - alot of new metal and Tremonti fans.

Better tell that to the guitar players of Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, Cradle Of Filth, Orphaned Land, Karnivool, Funeral For A Friend, The Black Dahlia Murder, Anthrax, Periphery... Just to name a few off the top of my head.

To label PRS guitars as "nu metal/Tremonti fans" guitars is an extremely poor and narrow choice of words. They're used by guitar players of many different genres precisely because they're extremely versatile (and high quality).
You should've just stuck to an example of one particular artist like you did for the rest of your list.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
cheesefries
High Five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman
Better tell that to the guitar players of Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, Cradle Of Filth, Orphaned Land, Karnivool, Funeral For A Friend, The Black Dahlia Murder, Anthrax, Periphery... Just to name a few off the top of my head.

To label PRS guitars as "nu metal/Tremonti fans" guitars is an extremely poor and narrow choice of words. They're used by guitar players of many different genres precisely because they're extremely versatile (and high quality).
You should've just stuck to an example of one particular artist like you did for the rest of your list.

Not really. It has been very popular with new metal bands. Especially the PRS/Mesa Recto combo alot of them seem to use.

They are a lot more versatile than what most people think though. It's just that 9 out of 10 times the PRS is used for the brootz just like the dual rec. Even though both are more versatile than people realize.

so I recommend you get over my "poor narrow choice of words" cause I'm sticking to it. BTW I think all the bands you mentioned other than Opeth and Anthrax are ****ing terrible.

You can name bands that use a different guitar.
Heres a cookie. That took major skills bro.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3

Last edited by cheesefries : 03-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: