User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
Not really. It has been very popular with new metal bands. Especially the PRS/Mesa Recto combo alot of them seem to use.

Yes, but not limited to that.

Quote:
They are a lot more versatile than what most people think though. It's just that 9 out of 10 times the PRS is used for the brootz just like the dual rec. Even though both are more versatile than people realize.

Nope.
PRS guitars are used by players of a multitude of musical genres. Just because you're ignorant about that fact, that doesn't make it less true.

Regarding their versatility, most people realize it. It's just you that have the impression that don't.

Quote:
BTW I think all the bands you mentioned other than Opeth and Anthrax are ****ing terrible.

Quote:
so I recommend you get over my "poor narrow choice of words" cause I'm sticking to it.

You can name bands that use a different guitar.
Heres a cookie. That took major skills bro.

Congratulations, not only you missed my point but you also stick to your ignorance. Good for you.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

> TS asks about great guitars for metal
> Linkerman displays his PRS fanboyism and his butthurt

Nice.

Since TS hasn't given any specific preferences yet, I'm just going to say that he should get a Gibson Flying V/Explorer and be gone.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 03-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
PRS guitars are used by players of a multitude of musical genres.

Dude, CONTEXT!

Nobody is saying PRS is limited to new/Nü metal and Tremonti, etc. cheesefries was just listing how guitars of various styles are used within metal, supporting the original and oft repeated point in this thread that any kind of guitar can be used for metal. Go back and re-read the list that lit your fuse if you think I'm lying to you.

Quote:
Man you can use any "style" for metal.

Les Paul - Zakk Wylde
SG - Iommi
Strat - Maiden like.
Tele - Jim Root
PRS - alot of new metal and Tremonti fans.

They all work equally well. Just pick em all up until you find the one you like the feel of and get it setup for teh metal.

Or do you think cheesefries was also saying that the Strat can only be used to play like Iron Maiden? Or only Jim Root uses Teles?*

* PS: why him and not John 5?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-18-2014 at 08:10 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Nobody is saying PRS is limited to new/Nü metal and Tremonti, etc. cheesefries was just listing how guitars of various styles are used within metal, supporting the original and oft repeated point in this thread that any kind of guitar can be used for metal. Go back and re-read the list that lit your fuse if you think I'm lying to you.

Go back and re-read my post, where i specifically said "You should've just stuck to an example of one particular artist like you did for the rest of your list."
That was my point. I know i'm nitpicking, but why did he choose a famous player/band as an example for all the other guitars, but for PRS he chose "alot of new metal and Tremonti fans"? Why not say "Mark Tremonti" or "Alter Bridge", for example?

It's not a matter of fanboyism or anything like that, i just thought it was an odd entry on that list, considering the context provided by the other 4 entries. As you said: dude, CONTEXT!
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 03-18-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #25
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman
Go back and re-read my post, where i specifically said "You should've just stuck to an example of one particular artist like you did for the rest of your list."
That was my point. I know i'm nitpicking, but why did he choose a famous player/band as an example for all the other guitars, but for PRS he chose "alot of new metal and Tremonti fans"? Why not say "Mark Tremonti" or "Alter Bridge", for example?

It's not a matter of fanboyism or anything like that, i just thought it was an odd entry on that list, considering the context provided by the other 4 entries. As you said: dude, CONTEXT!

The words you wrote here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman
Yes, but not limited to that.

Nope.
PRS guitars are used by players of a multitude of musical genres. Just because you're ignorant about that fact, that doesn't make it less true.

Regarding their versatility, most people realize it. It's just you that have the impression that don't.

Congratulations, not only you missed my point but you also stick to your ignorance. Good for you.

Do not support your assertion that you were just being nitpicky.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #26
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The words you wrote here:

(...)

Do not support your assertion that you were just being nitpicky.

That was due to his reply to my comment. You know how things escalate quickly. It's a matter of time before someone brings up Hitler in this thread.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 03-18-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #27
ognjenmijatov

I've been thinking about these guitars: Jackson KVMG Pro Series King V, Ibanez Iron Label RGIX20FEQM, Gibson SG Tribute '70s, Dean ML Modifier "Graphyte", Charvel Desolation DX-1 FR, Ltd H-1001FR STBC, B.C. Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe, Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR, Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX, DBZ Cavallo STE, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24, Kramer Nite V, Fender Blacktop Strat HH Floyd Rose, Yamaha SBG1820A, Line 6 Variax JTV 89F-US, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis. Amplifiers: Peavey 6505+ 112, Marshall DSL40C, Randall RD40C, Blackstar HT METAL 5, Ibanez Iron Label IL5. Cables: Mogami Platinum Cable, George L's .225 PREPACKAGED CABLE, Ibanez Series SCC, Analysis Plus Cable.

I want to know your opinions about this.
ognjenmijatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #28
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The only thing that will get you all of those tones would be a line6 variax and a decent modelling amp; there is so much variety there, even within some of the artists, that no one set of a traditional amp and guitar is going to cover all those bases.

Decide which one you want to do most; the one that you really don't want to skip out on, then you might be able to get some useful answers.

Just playing Devil's Advocate for the hell of it, if I had to pull all of that off with a single guitar/amp setup, I could probably get there with a Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6 (EMG 81TW/89 for true splitting) or an old LTD PB-401/PB-500 (SD P-Rails for true splitting) and a Mesa Road King or a Randall RM100.

The Randall in particular could be a great option because of the built in MIDI, all you'd have to do is throw a Line 6 POD of some sort in with it and program channel changes to effect patches. With a wise selection of modules in the RM there's really no reason why you couldn't.

Hell there's even the RM4 preamp that lets you use 4 modules instead of 3.

Could definitely be an interesting setup.

Carry on.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
ognjenmijatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognjenmijatov
I've been thinking about these guitars: Jackson KVMG Pro Series King V, Ibanez Iron Label RGIX20FEQM, Gibson SG Tribute '70s, Dean ML Modifier "Graphyte", Charvel Desolation DX-1 FR, Ltd H-1001FR STBC, B.C. Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe, Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR, Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX, DBZ Cavallo STE, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24, Kramer Nite V, Fender Blacktop Strat HH Floyd Rose, Yamaha SBG1820A, Line 6 Variax JTV 89F-US, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis. Amplifiers: Peavey 6505+ 112, Marshall DSL40C, Randall RD40C, Blackstar HT METAL 5, Ibanez Iron Label IL5. Cables: Mogami Platinum Cable, George L's .225 PREPACKAGED CABLE, Ibanez Series SCC, Analysis Plus Cable.

I want to know your opinions about this.

What would you purchase from the mentioned guitars, amplifiers and cables?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #30
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Nothing with a Floyd Rose if you plan on changing tunings often.

Just look at the new PRS S2 Custom 24. That will get you anywhere you need to go, possibly with a pickup swap if needed.

If that's over budget, the PRS SE Custom 24 is a great guitar as well.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #31
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

There is no 'best' brand for metal. That's like asking what the best genre of movies is.

There are good and bad guitars by any brand, and there are good and bad movies in every genre.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #32
Snake™
BalboaBlvdBloods

It's all preference dude. Notable metal brands are Jackson (personal favorite), ESP, BC Rich, Ibanez, and Schecter. But any guitar can be made to play metal. It's all what you like. Just try out everything.

• Jackson Soloist Pro (1990)
  • Line 6 HD100 MkII to some Laney cab

boiiii
Snake™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #33
ognjenmijatov

Thank you all wery much!!!

Rate This Thread: