Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Jabez'Prayer

Need some help guys (loud squeal)

So I have a Peavey JSX amp and an Ibanez guitar. I wanted to get a fatter tone so I threw in some Synyster Gates Invaders in my guitar. But now everytime I mute my strings to like play a breakdown I get this annoying loud squeal....when I play it goes away. I knew these were going to be some hot pups. The squeal goes away when i turn down my amp. I play in a metal band so I have to be somewhat loud. I tried turning down the gain on it, It works some but gets rid of the purpose I had in getting a nice fat tone. I am somewhat new to this....but I read of people using the NS-2 Noise Suppresion Boss pedal.....does this work? Any other ideas? Also that amp has a built in noise gate. It's not the best but it does work but I love the tone of the amp that's why I have it hahaha. It's not my amp or my tubes that are causing this because it didn't do it even at high volumes with my stock pick ups on my guitar. It just started when I got my Invaders. I am lost and kinda frustrated with this. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them. It would be such a blessing to me. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Jabez'Prayer : 03-21-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Jabez'Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
AngryHatter
Position Player

NS2 is my gate.
But your application is different than "standard" noise issues.

You set a threshold and anything pasing that is cut off.
And then you set how fast you want it cut off. This, I think will affect you most.

Are the pups potted? can you dial back the treble component?
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Jabez'Prayer

So NS-2 might not do much for me is that what your saying friend? And no the pick ups are not potted. You think it will help?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Jabez'Prayer

I would really appreciate your help guys....I am really lost. I want to be ready for the shows coming up and with this going on it is really frustrating. If anybody has any input at all I would so love to hear it. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post. Have a great day! God bless you all!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
binegar

That your pups are not potted (in wax) explains all. You`re getting microphonic feedback from your pups (due to micro-vibrations in the pickup coils). Short of swapping our your pups (or soaking them in wax, I suppose), the simplest remedy might be to avoid standing directly in front of your amp when you're not playing. This work-around, by the way, exploits the high frequency beaming of your speakers - and so you end up exploiting two design defects to achieve a positive end.
binegar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: