Search:

Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Angela left Arch Enemy, Alissa of The Agonist takes up vocal duties

Yes, it's true.

Quote:
ARCH ENEMY announces new singer

In early June 2014, ARCH ENEMY will unleash their 9th studio album, War Eternal, worldwide via Century Media Records and Trooper Entertainment in Japan.
With this upcoming release, the band will introduce a new member to their ranks: Alissa White-Gluz, former vocalist of Canadian extreme metallers THE AGONIST. Angela Gossow, who joined ARCH ENEMY in 2000 and made her debut on the now classic Wages Of Sin (2001), will be stepping down as front-woman and focusing on management, while Alissa takes her place.

Angela Gossow comments:
“Dear ARCH ENEMY fans, this is not easy to tell you…I have decided to step down from being ARCH ENEMY’s voice of anger. After 13 years of pure ****ing metal, 6 studio albums and countless tours through five continents, I feel the need to enter a different phase in my life, be with my family and pursue other interests. I will however remain business manager for ARCH ENEMY, and I will continue to develop my artist management roster.
I am staying true to my heavy metal roots, just leaving the spotlight so to speak. I am passing the torch to the super talented Alissa White-Gluz, whom I’ve known as a dear friend and a superb vocalist for many years. I always thought she deserved a chance to shine – and now she’s getting it. Just like I got that chance back in 2001.
I want to thank all ARCH ENEMY fans, our labels Century Media (worldwide) and Trooper Entertainment (Japan), our dedicated road crew, and in particular Michael, Daniel and Sharlee for their love and support throughout all these years. It’s been one hell of a ride! We conquered every situation, made it through thick & thin together in the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. Thank you all for being there with me on stage, in front of the stage, and backstage. You have touched my heart, and I hope I was able to give something back to you. I am grateful for the wonderful memories - I will cherish them forever!
I am looking forward to the next decade of ARCH ENEMY madness! Right now I am listening through rough mixes of the new studio album and I am blown away! 2014 will see a renewed ARCH ENEMY at the top of their game. I am proud to be part of this ARCH ENEMY chapter, albeit in a different way - revving up the engines behind the scenes. I hope to see you in front of the stage, I will join you there this time. Let the killing begin, once again!”

Alissa White-Gluz comments:
"I am very honored and happy to announce a new chapter in my life and musical career beginning now; I have joined forces with one of my all-time favorite and globally respected bands, ARCH ENEMY. ‘Wages of Sin’ was the first metal album I ever bought, and it was love at first listen. It is not often that you get a phone call from your favorite band asking you to join! I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with such amazingly talented musicians whom I also consider great friends. I look forward to being able to write and perform at a whole new level now with ARCH ENEMY! Music is forever, metal is limitless and this is only the beginning!"

Chief song-writer and band leader Michael Amott, who founded ARCH ENEMY in 1995, comments:
“We are eternally grateful to Angela for all her passion, hard work and talent. Her legacy is tremendous and will always be a big part of the band’s history. We feel great pride in what has been achieved in the past, but also look forward to new battles and new victories. We welcome Alissa with open arms - and we hope you will have open ears. We might have just created our most wicked metal opus yet with our upcoming album ‘War Eternal’!”

On March 20th, ARCH ENEMY will present the video for the album’s title track, “War Eternal”. Stay tuned.

Source: Arch Enemy official Facebook page

As i posted there, i'm sad to see Angela go. I got into Arch Enemy many years ago, and both her vocals and her attitude on stage had a huge impact on me at the time. I listen to Arch Enemy very frequently throughout the years, so i even have fond memories to which i associate her vocals.
But Alissa is an amazing singer, so i'm sure Arch Enemy will keep the quality high as always.
I just hope this doesn't mean that The Agonist is going to be put aside by Alissa... The Agonist is also a fantastic band, and i also don't think Alissa will be able to do in Arch Enemy what she does so well in The Agonist -- transitioning between clean and guttural vocals. If you don't know the band, just watch the video for "Thank You, Pain". Overall, that song is awesome, but those vocals... Damn.

Anyway, mixed feelings at the moment for me. But i'm definitely looking forward to the single that will be released next Thursday.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Freakin' hell. The news just came out, Alissa left The Agonist:

Quote:
Today we announce that after 3 albums and countless tours we officially part ways with vocalist Alissa White-Gluz. We wish Alissa all the best with Arch Enemy and her future endeavors.

It is the beginning of a new and exciting chapter for The Agonist! We are thrilled to announce the newest addition to the The Agonist family. Please give a warm welcome to very talented vocalist Vicky Psarakis!

Stay tuned for new The Agonist material coming VERY soon!

Source: The Agonist official Facebook page

I'm definitely NOT happy about this.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I'm not surprised Arch Enemy chose Alissa. She sounds (to me, anyway) a lot like Angela.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

this makes me unhappy. Angela does vocals in a way that doesn't sound too male or female, but from what little i heard of The Agonist, Alissa's voice is more shrill/grating.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

It's nice that Angela left on pretty good terms considering she's staying as the bands business manager.
I'm sick of all the people that are leaving bands, saying nothing about it for a few months and then seeing tons of petty bickering between the band and the ex member, so hopefully this is a nice change.

As for the new vocalist, eh...no...I've heard the Agonist before and her voice was just awful to listen to. I'll listen to the next Arch Enemy album and give it a shot but honestly, the instrumentals will have to be mindblowingly amazing to make me sit through hearing her voice on a regular basis.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
ichiefG13

She'll be apples hot chicks and metal will never go wrong.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
I'm not surprised Arch Enemy chose Alissa. She sounds (to me, anyway) a lot like Angela.

To me, a lot worse.

OT: I used to be a huge fan of Arch Enemy, but then I found myself not liking the speed and aggression and everything about pretty much all thrash and death metal bands. To me, this is very sad news, but I always liked Liiva-fronted Arch Enemy more than Gossow, so don't know. Arch Enemy's music has taken a downfall as well during the last two albums, so I can't see myself liking this band's new music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
progbass
UG Resident

Rip Dime
Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Good riddance. Unfortunately they just replaced her with an even shittier vocalist. Good for Arch Enemy, good move.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Alissa is ****in hot
Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

As long as they continue to make shockingly mediocre music then this changes absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
Alissa is ****in hot

Only reason to see them live.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I saw her live at the only concert I've ever been to. Total babe
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Conservationist
realist

Arch Enemy? You mean that hard rock band that plays really fast?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
progbass
UG Resident

No no, it's the one that market shallow music to betas because the female lead is nice to look at.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
NathanBForrest
Banned

now she go on to do what she was really meant for, making sandwiches for the guys in Carcass.
NathanBForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
I saw her live at the only concert I've ever been to. Total babe

Yes and total cvnt

seconded RIP DIME
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: