Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
 
Sir Stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You're right. You're completely right and there's no problem with that. Not at all. Not even a little bit. People looking for metal don't want to listen to blues right now, they want metal. We label to divide so we can consume efficiently.



Not a real thing.



You are saying that because you've been arguing against labels in your last two posts.



Well your rant and this portion of text dictates otherwise.



Everybody who doesn't think Madonna is metal has a problem with that because it's wrong. Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.



Yes. Nobody likes you when you do drugs because you post online.


You fail to see my point. Yeah, music needs genres so people will kind of know what to look for. Like "Metal, blues, rock, jazz, etc." It's just when people feel they have go out of their way to be a genre nazi. I'm not saying music should be in one giant group. It's the sub-sub-genres that seem really silly. I'm not saying they shouldn't exist or what not. It's just when people get emotional over if someone says a band is the incorrect sub genre of a sub genre. They seem to think it's the end of the world. I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!" It's Like it's a stab at their personal beliefs or I called their mom a whale.

By the way, did I say anything about "420 smoke em up goon?" Jesus Christ, you'd think I was Hitler just because I smoke a little bit of pot.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
They're pretty much a modern Guns N' Roses.

At least they are now.

Old Stuff = Metalcore, new stuff = Rock/Hard Rock.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #23
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat
 
The Wildchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anna mun tietää
Marijuana, along with metalcore, claims millions of lives each year. It's not something to laugh about
__________________


Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.

Oh my god
__________________
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #25
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
 
Scourge441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
It's just when people get emotional over if someone says a band is the incorrect sub genre of a sub genre. They seem to think it's the end of the world. I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!" It's Like it's a stab at their personal beliefs or I called their mom a whale.

This doesn't happen. Ever. It's a bullshit stereotype created by idiots who are angry because Slipknot and Asking Alexandria and Avenged Sevenfold aren't metal and therefore every metalhead is just a close-minded subsubsubsubgenre-fellating elitist.
__________________
THUNDERFORGE: Power metal from western Massachusetts | Bandcamp | Twitter
ECHOES AND DUST: Where I cover a variety of music, both heavy and not | My writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!"


If they are a metal band, why would anybody get mad at you for calling them a metal band? Clearly that doesn't ever happen to you.

Actually, you seem to be making everything in your posts up since none of any of that stuff that you are talking about really happens the way you say it does. You're just basing your arguments on baseless, highly exaggerated stereotypes rather than actual facts.

You can't just go around making things up.
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #27
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Dat strawman doe
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
 
rg_metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the roots are thick
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
And this attitude is what we call "extreme elitism". It's characterized by referring to atonal music as NOT MUSIC and music that isn't complex enough as NOT MUSIC. Among other things.


Yeah and referring to BTBAM as music is also extreme elitism. Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
ha ha nice story FAG



Such an extreme elitist story at that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean

Last edited by rg_metal : 03-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #29
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
Dat strawman doe


Makes sense that he would use a strawman argument though.

show
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
Did I say anything about not naming things properly? Assumptions don't get you anywhere.

The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music. Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

Except...they don't. People listen to music because they like it. It just so happens that, if I liked a band that is Doom Metal and wanted to hear more of that style, it makes it easier for people to tell me what to try out if either I say, "Suggest more Doom Metal". OR people recognize that when I say, "Give me more like X band" that I'm talking about a Doom Metal band and want more Doom Metal.

Imagine if there were no subgenres. It would be that much harder to suggest things. People classify things into subgenres because there's typically bands that have similar traits. Calling every metal band "metal" is just maddeningly unhelpful. There's so many different styles of Metal that it's very inefficient to call it all JUST "metal". This isn't the '70s, where Metal hasn't diversified and branched out and so on yet!

Quote:
I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train.

Who really does this?

Quote:
I certainly don't care. I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does.

All right. Go starting telling your friends that Madonna is metal. They'll either ignore you or laugh at you. Post back with results please.

My point is, people care, because it helps people to classify things into certain genres and styles based on similar sounds/themes/etc. Even non-Metalheads are not going to take you seriously if you decide to start calling Madonna anything besides "Pop".

Also, Metalheads are HARDLY the only ones who do this. Hardcore, as an over-arching genre, is just as bad. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ardcore_musi c .) So is Punk Rock. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_r..._rock_subgenres.) And EDM is ever worse. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_music_genres.)

Quote:
By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you? No it doesn't. Sounds like to me you need to relax a bit, buddy ol' pal.

Nothing. That part was a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_metal
Yeah and referring to BTBAM as music is also extreme elitism. Get over yourself.

That didn't even make logical sense, man.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 03-31-2014 at 12:54 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #31
SKAKSD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Meh i'm just gonna say i think A7X is (as of right now) a hard rock/heavy metal band.
SKAKSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
this thread is gay7x........see what I did there?!?! DO U SEE?!?!?

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 04-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Why do A7X never play anything from their first album?

Why do bands do that?
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
because its really hard to remember 359438 songs of completely tasteless wankery
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesiles2004
Why do A7X never play anything from their first album?

Why do bands do that?

Because the radio-boy fanbase that they have acquired due to their later albums would run screaming and crying at the harsher/more raw sound of their first album. Most of their fans aren't even aware that they had a first album.
__________________
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #36
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
Because the radio-boy fanbase that they have acquired due to their later albums would run screaming and crying at the harsher/more raw sound of their first album. Most of their fans aren't even aware that they had a first album.

I thought the first two albums were best.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
Marijuana, along with metalcore, claims millions of lives each year. It's not something to laugh about

If we are on the topic of dick riding trains, I'm hopping on this one
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #38
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks
 
Banjocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Suffolk
it's somewhere inbetween
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #39
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
choo choo mother****er
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.