Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Burningritual

Using ear plugs when performing.

Does anyone do this? I've not played a gig for several years but my hearing was slightly damaged from constant exposure to loud music in a previous band. I do guitar and vocals in a band that will be gigging soon and I don't really want to damage my ears anymore.
Would it affect my performance at all? Are there any specific ear plugs I should be looking at for this?
Burningritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
innovine

If it's loud, I put in the earplugs. I kind of like my hearing, I don't know about you.

Pay a little extra and get the flat frequency response kinds. You hear yourself a bit differently when singing with plugs, so get them asap so you have some time to get used to it.

If you have the cash, look into some in ear monitoring plugs. I haven't tried these myself but know a few people who gig regularly and swear by them.

Last edited by innovine : 04-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Burningritual

Thanks for the reply, i'l look into it
Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
MattyPS

Get ear plugs and preserve your hearing.
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
TTeddybear

Get ear plugs. Doesn't matter if you are on stage or in the crowd; protect your ears.
TTeddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Burningritual

was just wondering if wearing ear plugs changes the way you hear your voice compared to how it actually sounds? As in would it make you sound to the crowd as if you were half deaf?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
If you have the cash, look into some in ear monitoring plugs. I haven't tried these myself but know a few people who gig regularly and swear by them.

All well and good, but from my experience you won't often get to use IEMs unless you have the whole set-up and then you need a sound tech who knows how to configure them, or he'll deafen you. (My experience just being an unsigned band that plays a few gigs around the UK, I'm not a pro.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningritual
was just wondering if wearing ear plugs changes the way you hear your voice compared to how it actually sounds? As in would it make you sound to the crowd as if you were half deaf?

Yeah, it can do. That's why you need to practice with them, not just stick them in when you play live.

I wear my earplugs at practice, when playing live, and when listening to live music.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Burningritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshadow46_2
All well and good, but from my experience you won't often get to use IEMs unless you have the whole set-up and then you need a sound tech who knows how to configure them, or he'll deafen you. (My experience just being an unsigned band that plays a few gigs around the UK, I'm not a pro.)

Yeah, it can do. That's why you need to practice with them, not just stick them in when you play live.

I wear my earplugs at practice, when playing live, and when listening to live music.

thanks for the reply
Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshadow46_2
I wear my earplugs at practice

How loud is your practice?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
SrThompson

I used them (not anymore because I don't a band right now) in rehearsals or if I go to a concert.
But if I don't if I have a gig.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
AngryHatter
Position Player

Valves not plugs.

Last edited by AngryHatter : 04-13-2014 at 06:05 PM.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #12
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
How loud is your practice?

It depends on what we are doing at practice.

We are loudest when preparing for a gig as we set up the full band with monitors etc to try and mimic the stage as much as possible.

Quite often, when we are just writing, jamming we will be quieter. Obviously, if it doesn't warrant earplugs, then I don't wear them; but they do help them getting tired over prolonged periods of time.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
massbassman

Yup, I wear them when practicing, gigging, and in the crowd. I made the mistake of seeing Cheap Trick in an outdoor venue without my plugs. It was so loud that my shirt vibrated with the beat. That was the last time without them.

Aside from the benefit of giving your ears some protection from damage, you can hear your voice much better. I think I'm a much more accurate singer with plugs.

Mike
massbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
bassalloverthe

There are many companies which make ear plugs custom molded to your own ear. I need them because my ears are different sizes.

On stages, I sometimes recommend it, especially if the house sound is your amp.

Practice shoulder never be so loud that you need ear plugs! At that point, everybody needs to save themselves the cost of ear plugs and turn the amps down. If your drummer cannot play quietly, you have to teach him control.

I also think that acoustic music should *never* be played with earplugs
bassalloverthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHatter

Valves not plugs.

I like the fact that these are brown-orange. Mine are white. Well, they once were anyway.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: