Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
GuitarL91

Start playing blues: where to start (accessible songs)?

Because of an injury I wasn't able to play guitar. However, I spent my time watching live blues concerts of legends like Buddy Guy, SRV, Albert King and Robert Cray. In all honesty, I'm sold. It's incredible seeing those guys telling a story via their guitar and voice. You can really feel what they are trying to say and almost every note is spot on.

I want to start to playing blues myself. I discussed it with my guitar teachers and he told my that I have to start playing blues songs and steal licks here and there. I'm really determined to play blues so I'm really happy that I will start.

Now the main question is: where do I start? In general SRV stuff is a little more complicated. So what are some relatively easy/accessible blues songs/artists that get me started?

For what it's worth:

I'm playing guitar for around 3 years. I never really focussed on songs, more on a solo, learning different scales, improvising, technique etc. I'm really fanatic and try to play at least 2h a day, but I reach 3h a day often. However, I didn't play/learn lots of songs so learning new songs is a good way to practise my rhythm.

Thanks a lot blues fans!

Last edited by GuitarL91 : 05-06-2014 at 03:10 PM.
GuitarL91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
voodooenglish

I would learn more on your rhythm side first. I couldn't recommend you any songs that i think are particularly easy but stuff like the chuck berry numbers or stuff from the 50's will have your basic blues patterns laced in (Yes these are more rock and roll groups but the same patterns were used).

Even in the lead work rhythm is still very important as the licks themselves are more rhythmical then anything else so rhythm would be the best place to start.

chances are that most of the licks you will encounter in blues will use mainly the minor pentatonic scale but in my personal opinion the thing that needs to be carefully looked at in blues is bending as this is a major part of most of the lead lines. Knowing 5 positions of the same pentatonic scale will give you alot of freedom to move up and down the fretboard when you are improvising and trust me you will find yourself improvising a lot

get yourself some strings of preference for bending. I use Ernie ball super slinky 9 gauge but honestly I've heard some players like billy gibbons from zz top use 7's or 8's something ridiculous and I've heard some players put really thick strings on to give them self a tone they like so which ever you want really.

Oh and buy yourself a slide if your into delta blues (Robert Johnson, artists like that.) its a prominent tool.

TL;DR Work on rhythm shuffles, practice pentatonic and bends, get yourself strings of your choice, Buy a slide if your into delta blues or pretty much every blues artist has used one at some point. can't think of any songs sorry i'm not a strictly blues guy but i'm into alot of the genres blues influenced. (Rock and Roll,Classic Rock, Garage Rock)
voodooenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Pastafarian96
Strumming the 'lele

Rhythm, rhythm and pentatonic scales, they are all you need
Pastafarian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
GuitarL91

Thanks guys!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
GuitarL91

Does anyone has some recommendations regarding to blues? Preferably the less famous guys because I can come up with a list of the the well known blues guys. It's just for listening now, not playing the songs
Old 05-25-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
alex.schwer.12
Banned

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarL91
Does anyone has some recommendations regarding to blues? Preferably the less famous guys because I can come up with a list of the the well known blues guys. It's just for listening now, not playing the songs

John Hurt
Junior Kimbrough
RL Burnside
Fred Mcdowell
Son House

that'll keep you busy. (ut oh, i don't know those scales )
alex.schwer.12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
natkingcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarL91

I just posted a list which seems to match your search for the "less famous guys" with the really authentic electric chicago blues style you seem to be searching for. Try to get to listen to every single album of the list, I tell you, you won't regret it It contains only the very best of the very best that I know
Also there are MANY songs great for learning guitar because of the simple structure but oh wee, how nice does it sound! If you like Albert King, and Buddy Guy, be sure to check out Jimmy Dawkins and Hip Linkchain and their fellows in the MCM-recordings section.
Here's the list: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1645507

Last edited by natkingcole : 05-31-2014 at 10:40 AM.
natkingcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
wolflen

try the paul butterfield blues band - with Michael Bloomfield..two of the members were in the muddy waters band..so it has Chicago blues all over it..and bloomfield is a master on the fretboard
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Barricade_28

Learn the pentatonic scale, really hard not to play bluesy stuff after that. Personally, I found blues to be the easiest style of music to play at an intermediate level. One I learned the pentatonic scale I was off to the races!

Last edited by Barricade_28 : 06-10-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Barricade_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade_28
Learn the pentatonic scale, really hard not to play bluesy stuff after that. Personally, I found blues to be the easiest style of music to play at an intermediate level. One I learned the pentatonic scale I was off to the races!

This, honestly blues is easy to get the hang of..and that's a good thing. Blues is a good place to start to get you motivated to learn other things because its not super difficult, not to say all songs are easy but its no doubt a good place to start guitar.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
LittleRecording

Regarding songs, if I were you start learning stuff like "hoochie coochie man" or "have you ever loved a woman". Since they follow the 12 bar structure pretty well, and you can grasp an idea about it.

If you are interested in blues, check this website out, it is really good, and for me, when I was learning, I liked how it focused a lot on the general idea, that you can apply later on to various things, compared to "play note X here always, ou you are asking why? well its none of your business":

http://12bar.de/cms/

Hope it helps : )
-------------
LittleRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
chriswrenn7558

http://JobandPay.com/?id=17467
chriswrenn7558 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: