Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Wildspark

How do you start a band

I've always wanted to be in a rock band. I used to think that I wanted to be a lead guitarist, but I've recently accepted that I will always suck at playing guitar. I'm a pretty good singer though. So I want to start my own band and be the vocalist. The only problem is that I don't know anyone who plays an instrument. Well, I know a drummer but we're not really close friends. I don't live near a music shop so I can't put up posters there. I'm still a minor, so I don't feel comfortable using craigslist. How do I recruit band members?
Wildspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Phil Starr

You need to start networking, as in any walk of life. Finding a band is great practice for a skill you'll need for just about everything you do.

Put yourself in a place where the musicians are. You 'suck' at guitar you say but I'll bet you can play four chords, and you sing. Start going to open mics and sing a couple of songs, it'll improve your voice, guitar and self confidence which is a bonus but it'll give you a chance to meet other musicians and even play with them.

Go and talk to the drummer, he can't form a band without a singer and at least one instrumentalist. He may be someone you can work with, he may be the friend you haven't met yet.

You're at school, join in with the schools musical life, play at the schools concerts.

Walk around with your guitar a lot. it looks pretty posy but it advertises you as a keen musician, other people are in the same position as you and letting them know might encourage them to approach you.

I'm working up some articles on this, slowly. No 1 is done http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...and_part_1.html

good luck
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

How could you be a minor an accept that you'll always suck at guitar? You have the entire rest of your life to get better.

I recall in high school how I felt I wasn't as good as the other guys my age because I could only play chords and they were playing the intro to Sweet Child of Mine. Later I found out that they couldn't play chords or strum, and I ended up doing both. I actually became an active musician and the other guys gave up guitar.

So if you've decided you suck because someone else is a bit flashier, I'd just focus on bettering yourself instead of what the other guys are like.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
KillerPhail

I suggest playing Guitar Hero, on expert. It really does help.
KillerPhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Wildspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
How could you be a minor an accept that you'll always suck at guitar? You have the entire rest of your life to get better.

I recall in high school how I felt I wasn't as good as the other guys my age because I could only play chords and they were playing the intro to Sweet Child of Mine. Later I found out that they couldn't play chords or strum, and I ended up doing both. I actually became an active musician and the other guys gave up guitar.

So if you've decided you suck because someone else is a bit flashier, I'd just focus on bettering yourself instead of what the other guys are like.

I've been playing for three years and I only know like 4 songs.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
757ian123

I'd try craigslist anyway. Just don't invite anyone over unless your parents are home, and maybe suggest you only want people your age. Or you could do what I did when I was younger, which was force all my friends to learn to play instruments. That didn't work out so well.

Crybaby Classic Wah > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > MXR Dyna Comp > Boss Blues Driver > TC Vortex Flanger > DOD FX65 Chorus > Ditto Looper > Marshall MG100HDFX
Vox AC15C1
757ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Cajundaddy

Music programs at schools and colleges are filled with musicians. Go there and seek them... and be sought.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
KillerPhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildspark

Sounds like you just have a bad case of fuckarounditis... You probably just need to really buckle down for a few months and learn theory and get your speed/dexterity up. Have a goal and actively work towards it, don't just jam for an hour and call it practice.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Wildspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerPhail
Sounds like you just have a bad case of fuckarounditis... You probably just need to really buckle down for a few months and learn theory and get your speed/dexterity up. Have a goal and actively work towards it, don't just jam for an hour and call it practice.

You're right :/
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
flaaash

Quote:

While it's not totally about the quantity of songs you can smash out - 3 songs in 4 years isn't great. Picking up a new song every 2 weeks would be helpful. You don't need to be perfect at them.

Have you thought of an online music collaboration project?
flaaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Wildspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaaash
While it's not totally about the quantity of songs you can smash out - 3 songs in 4 years isn't great. Picking up a new song every 2 weeks would be helpful. You don't need to be perfect at them.

Have you thought of an online music collaboration project?

It's four songs in three years. I can play bits and pieces of other songs, but I can't play them all the way through. I also know the solo from californication even though I don't like that song. How would an online collaboration work?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
flaaash

Quote:
It's four songs in three years. I can play bits and pieces of other songs, but I can't play them all the way through. I also know the solo from californication even though I don't like that song. How would an online collaboration work?

Surprisingly easy.

Recording a piece digitally (via the iphone), email it to someone, then with a multi track app, they add their bit and so on.

It's a good bit of fun.
flaaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
KillerPhail

Songs imo are good to get your technique up for the first couple years. Learning songs with difficult solos force you to learn how to move your fingers fast, etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

If you don't think you're good at guitar, and would rather sing, I would just learn super easy songs that you can play and practice singing over. Learn some of the easier classics, like Every Rose Has It's Thorn or some of the newer pop stuff. You know, just easy stuff that everyone will know. Then I would do what Phil suggested and just start going to open mics and what not. It's all about networking my friend. And you're super young too, so you shouldn't be too worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757ian123
Or you could do what I did when I was younger, which was force all my friends to learn to play instruments. That didn't work out so well.

Haha I'm guilty of this too. It never works out. Would be sweet to get started with your best friends then actually make something of it.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:

Well learn more! A cover band will usually have 50-60 songs. If you were to join a cover band, at your current rate it would take you 40-50 years to learn the songs for it.

I think we both know that it wouldn't take you that long. You just have to put some effort in.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Wildspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Well learn more! A cover band will usually have 50-60 songs. If you were to join a cover band, at your current rate it would take you 40-50 years to learn the songs for it.

I think we both know that it wouldn't take you that long. You just have to put some effort in.

I can't really learn anything right how because I broke my E string yesterday. But I'll get on it as soon as I get a new one.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
I can't really learn anything right how because I broke my E string yesterday. But I'll get on it as soon as I get a new one.

Not all songs use the E string. :P
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
Wildspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlycore
Not all songs use the E string. :P

I know lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #19
guitarscales
UG Newbie

You need to find musicians in your area who are interested in the same music as you. You can find musicians all over the place online and offline. If you don't want to meet people online the. Find musicians at music stores or live events and start networking. There are always lots of musicians at local live events.

Rate This Thread: