Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
koendevisscher

First Electric Guitar

Hello everyone,

I made an account on the site not so long ago and here is my first question to you. I'm 16 years old and have played the acoustic guitar for about 5 years now. I started to grow interest for the electric guitar and now I have decided I want to buy my first electric guitar.
My questoin is if anyone has tips on how to decide what kind of guitar and amplifier I should / could get. I don't have a specific idea on what kind of music I want to play on it, probably just some pop, rock and indie but nothing heavy.
I don't really know how much money I want to spend on it but I'm thinking about a maximum of about 700 euros.
I'd like to hear (read) your advice.

Koen
koendevisscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

I would just say to not throw a large amount of cash into your first guitar. By something and see if you like it for awhile before investing in a quality guitar. You said you've been playing acoustic for 5 years, but you might just hate electric!
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ not possible

seriously, though... my own personal opinion is that if you've been playing acoustic for some time and enjoy it, and suspect you'll enjoy electric too... you probably will. no point in buying beginner quality gear if you have the budget not to, because you're not a beginner. Obviously it's your call, though, and you have to make your own decision.

will you be only playing in your room at home or jamming with friends/gigging?

some gear definitely does suit certain types of music better than others, so that's one obvious way to decide what type of kit to buy. also knowing what's the best bang for the buck at your budget also helps inform your decision (though that probably doesn't supersede its suitability, a good guitar which is reasonable value and suitable for the music you play normally makes more sense than a crazy good deal which isn't aimed at the music you like).

could you list some bands/guitar players you like and whose songs you want to play? that'll help us narrow down what would work for the stuff you want to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I disagree with the above. Go to a music store and try out everything in your budget. If I could steer you in any specific direction I'd say stick to Fender, Orange, maybe Line 6 for amps. And for guitars I'd say try out Gibson, Fender (or their subsidiaries, Epiphone and Squier respectively), lower end PRS, maybe Ibanez.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you disagree with getting kit which is suitable for the type(s) of music he wants to play?

Quote:

Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
koendevisscher

Hey, thanks for your replies. I think i shouldn't get a 700 euro guitar when I don't really know what kind of music I want to play but the risk I don't like the electric guitar is quite small I think. So I think my max would be about 500 euros.
According to your reactions I think I should just go to the store and try some different ones and hear and feel what works for me. There isn't a type of guitar that suits quite a lot of styles?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
koendevisscher

I don't really have guitarists I really like. Talking about bands, A Rocket To The Moon, Nickelback, Train, The Script, Plain White T's. Nothing to special I think.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Yeah. Superstrats are probably one of the most versatile types of guitars- a strat/superstrat with a bridge humbucker and two single coils (HSS) will cover a lot of ground.

I don't disagree with trying everything you can get your hands on, because you might as well, and you never know, you might be surprised by what you actually end up liking. But we can definitely give some pointers too which might save you a lot of legwork.

Quote:

Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
JustGuitar98

I'd recommend three guitars for that price.

Firstly, Squire Classic Vibe Strat or Tele

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...-blackguard.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...e-fretboard.asp

Or if you can find one (I know they can be hard to get out side of the UK)
Get a Chapman ML-1

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...ue-sunburst.asp

The only other advice I'd offer is that spend as much as you can afford, at that sort of price a little more money gets a lot better quality.

Hope this helps
JustGuitar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
AngryHatter
Position Player

Get the most equipment for the buck that you can manage.
Cheap stuff will come back and bite you.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Go for a Roland Cube for an amp (the biggest you can afford/transport with the money left over).
They're built like tanks and will provide you with everything you need as a beginner... If you can stomach the 80s Casio watch look, of course :p

Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive)
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
you disagree with getting kit which is suitable for the type(s) of music he wants to play?

Late post was late When I was writing the comment the one above you was the latest.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
koendevisscher

So most of you are recomending a stratocaster if I'm right? You always hear about comparisons between the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul. What the main difference between these guitars, do they sound really different? Personally I like the looks of The Les Paul better which made me think of this question. Also I really like guitars like this one: http://simonmorel.com/wp-content/up...jazz-guitar.jpg
I can't find out what they're named and I was wondering if they were meant for a particular style.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koendevisscher
So most of you are recomending a stratocaster if I'm right? You always hear about comparisons between the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul. What the main difference between these guitars, do they sound really different? Personally I like the looks of The Les Paul better which made me think of this question. Also I really like guitars like this one: http://simonmorel.com/wp-content/up...jazz-guitar.jpg
I can't find out what they're named and I was wondering if they were meant for a particular style.

That's a hollowbody or semi hollowbody. They are mainly meant for jazz (archtop) but country and soft rock guys use them. It would be a pretty good option choice for you. In your price range you could get a nice Ibanez Artcore or used Epiphone Sheraton.

As far as Strat vs Les Paul, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The Strat has a completely different feel from the Les Paul, completely different construction and completely different pickups. The best way to tell the difference in sound, to me at least, is listening to a lot of Clapton for strat sounds and a lot of Led Zeppelin for Les Paul sounds.

Mainly, though, the strat will have a very thin, spanky sound from the single coil pickups. It will also be a bit more ergonomic because of the carves. The Les Pauls have a more full and warm sound from the humbuckers. They are also typically very heavy (they are mostly mahogany) and the necks are very thick, which some people like and some don't.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
koendevisscher

After watching some comparison video's I think I like the sound of a Les Paul better.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
After watching some comparison video's I think I like the sound of a Les Paul better.

So do I Then look at guitars with a dual humbucker setup. Most hollowbodies have this arrangement.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Late post was late When I was writing the comment the one above you was the latest.

hahahaha no worries

Quote:
So most of you are recomending a stratocaster if I'm right?

I said a superstrat or a fat strat- I didn't mean a regular SSS strat. A superstrat is more or less a strat, but with the bridge single coil replaced wth a (gibson style) humbucker (and sometimes the neck single coil replaced with a humbucker, too). that makes it a lot more versatile than either a regular strat or a les paul, if you're going to be playing a wide range of music, since you can get an approximation of both guitars' tones with the one instrument.

big problem with hollowbodies is they don't handle distortion so well (or even high volumes)- you can get uncontrollable feedback if you're not careful. Unless you knew you exclusively (or at least, mainly) wanted to play jazz or something like that, I'd avoid fully hollow body guitars.

Quote:

Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
big problem with hollowbodies is they don't handle distortion so well \

Tomas Kalnoky would beg to differ.

Yes, that is a dual rec behind him.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #19
EyeballPaul

Hollow bodies in my experience are ok,As long as you can get some distance from your amp.I had an ES 333 and tried gigging with it in a small pub and it was a nightmare,I had to keep my right hand on the strings at all times in between notes and chords or it would howl like a banshee.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender Ramparte
Marshall DSL100H
TS808,TC Flashback,TC Hall of Fame,Blackstar LT Drive,Dirty Little Secret MKIII,Morley Wah
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
paul.housley.7

OP is a good candidate for a PRS from the SE line.

PRS guitars split the difference between strat and les paul tones but they lean a little closer to the les paul side. Les Pauls are cool - my first guitar was an epiphone les paul - but they're a little heavy and the shape kinda digs into your ribs.

PRS SE seems to be a generally pretty decent quality of construction as well - and you can get a used one for a good price.

Last edited by paul.housley.7 : 05-10-2014 at 07:46 AM.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: