Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
andro123.as

Need about purchase guitar

Hi guys,

I play guitar almost 4 years,
and i really need new gear.

I listen rock and metal, like:
Scorpions, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Guns n roses, Dio

I don't want to rush and buy something that is not good.
It can be with or without floyd

I live in Croatia (Europe), but i think i will buy gear from Just Music (Germany) or Thomann.

My budget is 3000$
andro123.as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what's your current gear?

will you be gigging or playing at home, or both? if playing at home, how loudly can you play?

will you be playing in a lot of different tunings? or need different tones that you need different guitars and/or amps for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
andro123.as

I have epiphone sg g 310 and Roland cube 20xl

I can play as loud as i wish.
I will be playing at home and gigging too.

Yes, i will be playing in a lot different tunings, so floyd isn't option..

I think that i will buy buy jca100hdm
and not sure which cab to take.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by andro123.as
Hi guys,
My budget is 3000$

With a budget that big, I'm out of suggestions. At that price, you could buy a used Charvel and still have about $2000 left to invest in amps and other gears.

Hell, since the old Charvels have top mounted Floyds, you might as well put five springs in there to hold it down like you would a strat trem.

There you go: get a used, pre-2013 Charvel
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap

Last edited by Archer250 : 05-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
lightningjoe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
With a budget that big, I'm out of suggestions. At that price, you could buy a used Charvel and still have about $2000 left to invest in amps and other gears.

Hell, since the old Charvels have top mounted Floyds, you might as well put five springs in there to hold it down like you would a strat trem.

There you go: get a used, pre-2013 Charvel

Almost my exact thoughts. You don't want to play a $3,000 guitar through a $50 Roland Micro Cube. You'll have to wait a long time for new gear and your new beautiful guitar won't sound like you imagined. You can get a good Jackson, Charvel, or maybe ESP.

With the leftover money you can buy yourself something nice like maybe Mesa Boogie Mark V. Maybe something a little cheaper and some pedals to go along with it.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar
09 Gibson Firebird Studio w/ vintage SDs > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Xotic SP Comp > Russian EHX Big Muff Pi > EHX Soul Food > TC Electronic Nova Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp > ADA Flanger > Koch Multitone > Avatar Contemporary 2x12 w/ Celestion Creambacks
lightningjoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Archer250

I mean seriously, you could not go wrong with a used MIA Charvel and a 50-watt 5150. Hell, you might even have some money to spend on pedals and aftermarket pickups. And if you buy say, an HK Grandmeister 36, you might not even need to buy pedals.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
jmaguire

Buy your amp first. Amp is the most important part of your tone. A 5150III would be a good choice. The matching cabs are nice as well.
Guitars are a lot about personal taste. If it feels good and it is well made it'll be good. Stuff like pickups and hardware can be changed later. Something like an LTD MH-1000 would suit nicely. I really like the feel of LTD guitars. Nice and solid.

Try and get gear used if you can, though. Especially guitars. You'll get far more for your money.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
dspellman

Quote:

I've sent you a PM.

One, a Floyd IS an option with a lot of different tunings on a Variax JTV 89F

Two, the JCA100HDM's a good amp but heavy, loud and single-minded.
A modeler front end will allow you to pick the appropriate back end (power amp & speaker system) for what you're doing. I use the same modeler for everything from headphone practice, den practice through KRK Rokit 8 powered recording monitors to a full-range speaker setup for band practice and small gigs to a full-blown PA mixer, and it mostly sounds the same ("mostly" because there are always slight differences in what people claim are "full range flat response" systems).
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

sweet

I'm assuming you're buying the jet city head from thomann? If so, it's hard to beat the harley benton g212vintage for the money- plywood, good speakers which suit the amp (celestion vintage 30s) and the price is little more than buying two vintage 30s separately at retail prices. Not saying it's the best cab ever or anything like that, but for the price it's remarkably good- and it's cheap enough that even if you don't like it, you haven't lost much because you can always swap the speakers into a better cab later.

Other thing is, if you don't need the depth mod or extra wattage, the 50 watt head is a lot cheaper and more or less the same thing as the HDM minus a few bells and whistles. Maybe worth considering- you have plenty of money to cover the HDM, but there's no point in spending extra money if you don't have to, for something which is probably built to the exact same standard (I'm guessing both models are made in the same factory and the same way apart from the slight differences in spec, though i could well be wrong). I should also clarify, I've only tried the 50 watt head, so it's possibly the HDM model is better

it's hard to beat the jet city head and HB cab for the money- for ~400 you're getting something which is built pretty well for the price, and which can hang with near enough anything, even the expensive stuff (assuming it suits the type of music you want to play, of course). That's not to say you can't spend more and get something which is better (or at least, more versatile)- but the jet city will likely get you 90% of the way there for a fraction of the price, and for your first "proper" amp, that's something that's worth bearing in mind (since you don't always know exactly what you want until you're very familiar with "better" gear).

That's not to say you have to spend less money, you have the budget and if you find something which you like more which costs more, by all means go for it. There's no hard and fast rule, and cheaping out when you don't have to can also lead to regrets, so it just depends.

regarding the guitar, again you have enough for something really good, so if you can at all, try out a bunch of different guitars of different styles and price ranges. Again, for your first "proper" guitar, it might be an idea to look for the equivalent of the jet city- something which is pro quality, but not at boutique prices (e.g. Ibanez Prestige, japanese-made charvel, japanese jackson etc.) in case you change your mind or something like that. Again, though, that's not guaranteed, and if you find something perfect which costs more money, then get that.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-10-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Archer250

Regarding the guitar, unless you want more than 22 frets, a used SoCal will suit your every need. Since you'll be fooling around with tunings, you can add extra spring and tension as you would a strat trem (the Pre-2013 SoCal has top-mounted Floyds), AND it'll most likely come with a good enough pickups. The only downside to it would be the lack of a tone control.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
andro123.as

Ooh guys, i don't know what to say.

I am really confused.
Let's first choose amp, then guitar, as jmaguire said.

Yes, I thought to buy JCA from Thomann, but when i saw this H&K GrandMeister36, i changed my mind :p

I'm afraid that I'll buy something that i won't like.

And, dspellman, i didn't recieve any pm :p
Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I haven't tried the grandmeister. H&K swears it's all-tube (and it might be), but it strikes me as having just about (more like "barely") enough preamp tubes for it to be all-tube with that amount of channels/features/distortion- and H&K has form with selling hybrids masquerading as all-tube amps (the edition tube, for one).

I dunno. It's your call, and I suppose you could use the "if it sounds good, who cares?" excuse, but personally I'd be a bit miffed if I bought something at that price thinking it was all-tube and it turned out not to be. Especially when the jet city genuinely is all-tube, and has tons of preamp gain, for a fraction of the price. the H&K does seem to have a ton of nice features, though, while the jet city is fairly basic in terms of its features.

your mileage may vary, of course. and it's your call, at the end of the day.

I agree that deciding on one thing first might be the easier way to do it. you can get bogged down with too much choice if you're not careful.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Tony Done

For that kind of $ I would be thinking about a decent amp and a mid-priced guitar, as other have suggested.

I've got a H&K Statesman Dual EL84. A nice versatile amp, and I would be happy to take a look at any of the H&K line if I was looking for a new amp.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Archer250

Quote:
Ooh guys, i don't know what to say.

I am really confused.
Let's first choose amp, then guitar, as jmaguire said.

Yes, I thought to buy JCA from Thomann, but when i saw this H&K GrandMeister36, i changed my mind :p

I'm afraid that I'll buy something that i won't like.

And, dspellman, i didn't recieve any pm :p

The H&K has a lot of features. Hell, buy one and you'll probably never need a pedalboard.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
andro123.as

I think i dont need H&K. JCA is pretty good amp for that price. I think i will buy KH or EVH wah pedal. And then i will have 2000$ for guitar.
Will G212 vintage fit well with JCA100hdm?

Last edited by andro123.as : 05-11-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Just be careful with some of those signature wah pedals- some of them aren't that different from the bog standard ones and cost a lot more (try googling for some info... IIRC JHS pedals website has some info on some of the different wahs in the tech section).

Yeah the g212 vintage should sound good with the jca100hdm- out of the speakers I've tried with my 50 watt head, my favourites are the eminence v12s but v30s come a close second. it also depends on the tone you want, for some things you might even prefer the v30s.

Just remember, v30s sound pretty harsh at the start before they're broken in, when broken-in they smooth out a lot. So if they do, don't panic.

Quote:

Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Guy_Mitchell
Terminally Salty

Get this cab, these are really nice for the price. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

My recommended amps if any, or maybe a Laney, but someone else will have to chime in for that, I've only ever played a VH100 which I don't think they even make anymore:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/evh_5150_i...att_head_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_...ne_104_el34.htm

The Blackstar has more headroom, an attenuator, 4 channels, and A LOT of versatility. The EVH has much tighter and punchier mids, as well as a nice resonance control. Here's the two in demos.
show

And if you want to have a Floyd and switch between tunings, get something with a non recessed Floyd. Just look for ones without the pocket underneath the tremolo. With the non recessed Floyd, you can only dive down, but the tuning stability is much better, and you don't have to setup the tremolo again. A lot of the guys in those bands used a non recessed Floyd on their guitars.

Fender: http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.htm...1=9734&wgf9734=
EVH guitars: http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.htm...1=9734&wgf9734=
Kramer: http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.htm...1=9734&wgf9734=
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45

Last edited by Guy_Mitchell : 05-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Guy_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: