Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
bchampion96

Most Versatile HH Combination? (passive)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a set of humbuckers (don't have to be a matched pair or anything) that can get me a butt load of tones. I'm looking for all the way from passable country and bluesy stuff, through classic and heavy rock and all the way into modern progressive metal. (Djent-ey kind of things like periphery and intervals are my favourite genres of metal to listen to and I hope to get into playing them soon as well).

So far, the guitar I'm going to put them in is looking like a music man JP100/100D/6 depending on how much money I can raise in the summer holidays. Once the guitar is all set up and going, I plan to mod the guitar with a push/pull pot for coil splitting, so 4 conductor wiring is required (I think, not too good with this kinda stuff).

So far, I've liked the sound of:

Seymour Duncan JB
Seymour Duncan Distortion
Seymour Duncan Invader
Seymour Duncan Full Shred
Bare Knuckle Juggernaut
Fastback Beardcomber.

(I haven't heard all of these using clean tones. They were mostly in metal demos).

Anyway, I'd love to get some recommendations and opinions from you!

Thanks!

bchampion96
bchampion96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I have the 7 string set of the full shreds. The neck pickup in that set is incredible. I use it for Scale the Summit type stuff all the time but suited me well in my ska phase. The bridge never had enough bite for me though. Still a great pickup.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

I think the JP100D comes with his either old CrunchLab/LiquiFire or new Illuminators.
I don't see a reason in changing those for your tone.
And your amp is more important in those genre changes than your pickups.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Tony Done

I think that the coil splitting is a great idea, though I prefer series/parallel to series/single. The sound of single and series is very similar in my SD Jazz, but you get the advantage of mains-hum cancelling with parallel.

All the pickups you have listed would be too hot for my tastes, I tried the JB and thought it muddy in series mode, but pretty good in parallel mode. - But there again the only heavy stuff I play uses OD or fuzz pedals.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
I think the JP100D comes with his either old CrunchLab/LiquiFire or new Illuminators.
I don't see a reason in changing those for your tone.
And your amp is more important in those genre changes than your pickups.

It depends on if I get the jp100 or the jp100d. I'm fairly sure the only difference between the two is the pickups, so I'd like to pick my own to replace the stock pickups in a jp100. If it turns out there's extra benefits in the 100d, then I'd get that and stick with the crunch lab and liquifire
Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done
I think that the coil splitting is a great idea, though I prefer series/parallel to series/single. The sound of single and series is very similar in my SD Jazz, but you get the advantage of mains-hum cancelling with parallel.

All the pickups you have listed would be too hot for my tastes, I tried the JB and thought it muddy in series mode, but pretty good in parallel mode. - But there again the only heavy stuff I play uses OD or fuzz pedals.

I've been thinking the same in terms of output. They're all medium to high output pickups. Problem is, I have no idea how that influences useable tones. Can you point me to somewhere to read about the effects of different pickup wiring configs?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Guy_Mitchell
Terminally Salty

The CL/LF is already a very versatile combo. Especially with the coil splits and other wiring options. Only thing I'd take over them is a JB/Jazz for versatility. Maybe a Distortion in the bridge if I was more inclined for a tighter rock and metal side.
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Guy_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

My PRS has Dragon II's and they are really good for any type of music. Probably the best, most versatile pickups I have ever used. Now I like some pickups better for certain things, but if I had to pick a do all set it would be them
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
dspellman

Truth is, 99% of all guitarists never change the pickups in their guitars. It's mostly not necessary at all. Moreover, there are other options for spending that money on your guitar that WILL change the sound significantly and offer a lot more versatility.

I've actually changed pickups a few times (out of around 50 guitars I currently own).

One was to REMOVE Duncan Invaders from a Flying V (replaced them with Tom Andersons). I really don't care for Invaders at all.

Another was to replace a set of Carvins with the same set of Carvins (but new). The previous owner had evidently swapped out the pickups at some point and then swapped the originals back in just before selling it. He'd shorted out one pickup, damaged another and generally screwed up the wiring so bad it was just easier to start over.

And the third time was to install a completely different set of hardware/electronics for a specific project that required matching a pair of guitars, including installing Sustainers, active sweepable mids boosts, kill switches and more. The pickups there are nothing like a standard set of anything and include a 9.2 kohm '57 in the bridge and a DiMarzio Fast Track II (normally a hot strat bridge pickup) in the neck position.

I'd pull the Invader and Full Shred off your list and consider subbing in a Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup.

I like coil splits, but I don't care for push-pulls much. I've actually sailed a knob into the audience on a "pull." I can't see where I'm set (whether it's on or off) easily OR by feel. And if the knob controls something else, there's always the likelihood that you'll change that setting in the push/pull process. I have NO problem installing miniswitches. Ibanez installs Tri-Sound switches (three positions) for each pickup on the old Artists that allow you to choose serial/parallel/single coil individually. You can see and feel where they're set.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Hmmm...you could combine:

1) Lace Alumitone Deathbucker (bridge) with a standard Lace Alumitone (neck)

2) Tesla VR-Extreme (bridge) with a Tesla OPUS (neck)

3) RailHammer Chisel (bridge) with a RailHammer HyperVintage (neck)

4) RailHammer Anvil (bridge) with a RailHammer HyperVintage (neck)

5) SD SH-4JB (bridge) with a SD '59 (neck)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I'd pull the Invader and Full Shred off your list and consider subbing in a Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup.

I like coil splits, but I don't care for push-pulls much. I've actually sailed a knob into the audience on a "pull." I can't see where I'm set (whether it's on or off) easily OR by feel. And if the knob controls something else, there's always the likelihood that you'll change that setting in the push/pull process. I have NO problem installing miniswitches. Ibanez installs Tri-Sound switches (three positions) for each pickup on the old Artists that allow you to choose serial/parallel/single coil individually. You can see and feel where they're set.

Thanks for your input. Suhr make some seriously high class stuff, so I'll look into those pickups. The guitars I'm looking at aren't thaaaat expensive, so I wouldn't feel bad about drilling holes in them for switches. You make a good point about launching controls into an audience :P Do you know anywhere with wiring diagrams for these switches?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
bchampion96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...you could combine:

1) Lace Alumitone Deathbucker (bridge) with a standard Lace Alumitone (neck)

2) Tesla VR-Extreme (bridge) with a Tesla OPUS (neck)

3) RailHammer Chisel (bridge) with a RailHammer HyperVintage (neck)

4) RailHammer Anvil (bridge) with a RailHammer HyperVintage (neck)

5) SD SH-4JB (bridge) with a SD '59 (neck)

Thanks! I'll check them all out.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchampion96
I've been thinking the same in terms of output. They're all medium to high output pickups. Problem is, I have no idea how that influences useable tones. Can you point me to somewhere to read about the effects of different pickup wiring configs?

Here's the one I use most often:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

In terms of tone, lower passive resistance is correlated with higher resonance frequency, so the pickup is brighter but the output is lower. This isn't the only factor affecting tone by any means, but it isn't a bad place to start. I've bought two sets of SD Jazz because I like very bright in humbbuckers, but I generally prefer P90/scewpole single coil types. The SD tone comparison chart and sound samples should give you some ideas:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: