Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
chadman50

Im sorry if I came off as arrogant or as if I have a big ego that wasn't my goal at all. I was just trying to give as much info as possible for a few unbiased opinions. It may just be that I'm over analyzing the whole thing.
chadman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman50
Im sorry if I came off as arrogant or as if I have a big ego that wasn't my goal at all. I was just trying to give as much info as possible for a few unbiased opinions. It may just be that I'm over analyzing the whole thing.
Having an inflated ego is a species wide character defect. It starts on page one, day six, "and God created man in his own image"........Oh really?

In any case, the boys are generally worse than the girls at controlling ego. Or perhaps only more successful at hiding it.

OTOH, it takes balls, ego, talent and ambition, to want to be someone who stands in front of hoards of people, and expects to hear the cheers.

I see your issues as somewhat typical of a younger man, who hasn't learned to harness his sense of self, to work successfully toward a team goal. As you point out, you're sort of limited to your choice of band mates in your area. That says to me you feel you've already made an unnecessary compromise just to join this endeavor.

Competition can be healthy as well, if it's directed correctly. The idea there is, you need to make yourself believe that you're competing with yourself, (to improve as an individual), and with the others, toward a common goal.

Every band has had its leaders and standout performers. If you feel, (and can prove), that you're that guy in your band, more power to you.

Simply learn to accept the role with humility, and share freely of your gifts with the others. They'll love you for it. And face it, having someone love you, deep down inside, is the biggest ego massage of all.....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-10-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:

Out of interest where do you live?

I ask this because the "no metal bands in my area" excuse has been used on this forum in relation to EVERY city you can think of, including major music hubs like Los Angeles and New York. As a result I'm always a little wary whenever anyone uses this excuse.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #24
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Out of interest where do you live?

I ask this because the "no metal bands in my area" excuse has been used on this forum in relation to EVERY city you can think of, including major music hubs like Los Angeles and New York. As a result I'm always a little wary whenever anyone uses this excuse.

Yeah. I'm sure there are metal bands in every city.

And TS, sometimes less is more. You don't need to play lots of notes to make it sound interesting. Many times it's better to write a part that has a cool groove and sounds really tight than a part that is just lots of notes and really technical playing. It is fun to play but not fun to listen to technical wankage. Just listen to the power of the bassline in Van Halen's Runnin' with the Devil. It's just 4th notes all the time on open strings but it still sounds awesome. Don't write parts for yourself, write parts to make the music sound better. The bassline or guitar riff on its own doesn't need to sound good. That's why you play in a band. The simple guitar riff/bassline sounds awesome when there are other people playing their own parts at the same time.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #25
Phil Starr

I hope you won't take this a s personal, but you have got this all wrong. Being in a band is a team thing.

Do you want to still be playing in bands in 20 years time, or even 10?

You are probably just young and enthusiastic and naturally want everything to be the best it can. That's good, but you clearly don't lack in ego. You may simply be better than your mates but most people wouldn't go round telling everyone that. How would your position in the band change if they read this thread? The truth is that people are very good at reading between the lines and they probably already know what you are thinking. The other guitarists are either thinking rather poorly of you for showing off or are now feeling that you are right and that they just aren't good enough. Neither is good for the band.

You clearly think the lead guitar is the most important thing in the band and that a good lead guitar is worth more to the band than a good bassist. I'd wonder if you are a good bassist which isn't about everybody noticing your bass but much more about keeping the band tight and making the others sound good IMO. If temperamentally you can't do this you aren't a bassist and that's why you aren't happy with your bass lines. Bass isn't to do with speed and complexity it is to do with accuracy, sensitivity and appropriateness.

I suspect the others are right and you have already sowed the seeds which will destroy your band, or your place in it. I hope not but you have work to do.

You signed up to play bass, can you honour this commitment? My advice is to leave your guitar at home and just take your bass with you. If they want you to play lead then wait until they suggest it and stop undermining the confidence of the other guitarist/s. If it does all go wrong then please learn you lesson and don't undermine the next band. If all you want to do is play lead guitar then don't sign up as bassist.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #26
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Some pretty good points Phil. Revisiting this statement:

Quote:
And AlanHB, I'm all over the neck on bass while their playing their riffs, I have to because if I played what they play exactly id be bored shitless.

I think we've all played with a guy who possesses the above attitude. It could be someone who needs to smash the drums all the time, the guitarist who goes on lots of solos, or the bassist that needlessly complicates their parts.

The truth is that these musicians aren't writing parts that are good for the song. They're writing parts with the aim of showing off, so that the audience will notice them the most.

It then follows that their parts distract from the song, rather than improve it. These guys are usually awful to work with, and will not be open to suggestions to simplify parts.

Luckily they tend to die off on the music scene relatively quickly, as nobody wants to work with them.

Even if you use the "I play metal" excuse, this is no excuse for writing crappy show-off parts. I'm sure your favourite bands execute some sort of restraint in all of their songs.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 AM   #27
Captaincranky

Quote:
Why on earth would you expect, "unbiased opinions", from people who are responding to someone displaying as much ego and hubris as yourself?
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Are they as dedicated as you are? You may come off as arrogant and 'better' than them because they just aren't into it as much as you are, which isn't good if you want to make a career out this band.

If the lead guitarist is cool with playing bass and you want to play guitar over bass, then I don't see why you guys just don't bring it up to the other guys and try it out at a practice. But if you just want to do it because you think you're better, I don't think that's going to solve much.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: