Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
supertastydonut

Help buying a used guitar

I am about to buy my first Gibson! But it is also my first time buying used so to be safe I want to ask some questions first before I buy. There are the obvious questions like do you have proof of purchase of this guitar(to make sure it's not stolen) or is it in a cigarette free house. Is there anything else important I should ask? Thanks!
supertastydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Starcounter1

Personally I would just play the guitar and check it out. You can ask for info, but knowing if they are being honest is totally different. I would never ask for proof of purchase. Most used gear you are not going to get any. U can ask, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Play, inspect, decide. And most importantly use your Spidey senses. If the seller or deal feels shadey, just walk away.

Also it is important for you to be an informed buyer. When you find a guitar to go look at do your homework before you go. Know exactly what the model should look like. If you get there and are overwhelmed ask if you can tAke a couple of picture of the guitar, go home and do more investigating. Do your homework!

Last edited by Starcounter1 : 05-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Starcounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you want to check there's nothing wrong with it

with a prestige brand like gibson, you also want to check it's not a fake/counterfeit, since some companies in china are faking gibsons at the moment

you also want to be sure of the exact model (or that it's not an epiphone or cheaper guitar)

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
supertastydonut

Is there any specific giveaways to look for that it could be fake?
supertastydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Find the model you're looking at on the gibson website and go over it with a fine tooth comb- all the little features and cosmetic appointments etc. Things like the truss rod cover shape and how many screws it uses etc. Most fakes will fool someone who's not too familiar with the "real thing" but won't fool anyone who is.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
maddog61

Also, make sure it's the one you want. For my first guitar, I bought something that didn't really "fit" me, just because I was excited over getting a guitar. Other than that, if you like it, go for it!
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Omnius

Another good way of checking real vs. fakes is to look up the serial number (usually found on the headstock) in the manufacturer's website

BC Rich Mockingbird w/ EMG 81/85
Epiphone LP Custom 81/85
Gibson SG Standard

"Remember kids... if you're not active, you've already lost"
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Starcounter1

Serial won't always work. Many times the makers of the fake will use 1 real gibson as a model. Every guitar they produce will use the same serial. Looking up the number will appear legit when it isn't.
Starcounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

That's what I was thinking- better than nothing, but not conclusive either. And in a worst case scenario, could lull you into a false sense of security.

Rate This Thread: