Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: How long does it usually take to have a gig booked with a new band?
2 months or less 5 55.56%
3-5 months 0 0%
6 months or more 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
British_Steal
UG Member

Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
Gig expectations when joining a band?

Hey guys I just wanted to get some more opinions on something and discuss it.

When you join an already established band, what is a reasonable expectation of the amount of time it should take to get a gig? This is assuming you're able to learn the set (say half hour-45min of already written music) within a reasonable amount of time.

Basically what expectations do you guys have when joining an somewhat established band?

At what point do you guys say "ok this is a waste of time we still don't have a gig" and move on?

Thanks guys!

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.

Last edited by British_Steal : 05-11-2014 at 07:03 PM.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Cajundaddy

It really depends on both the playing skills and the communication of the players. Rule #1... If you want to get a gig, go out and book a gig. Never wait for someone else to do it for you. Most bands are so busy waiting for someone else to do it that the band energy just dries up.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Br0c00ler

Not everyone is always looking to gig, most low-end gigs require you to do all the work, like promoting/selling tickets and having shit figured out, and the payout is very low especially when split 3-5 ways. I'm not saying not to do it, but don't be too worried about your band if it doesn't gig too much.
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Br0c00ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I think this is a bit of a silly question, because the primary advantage of joining an established band is that (a) the songs are already written and (b) the band is gigging regularly.

With that in mind lets go through the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_Steal
When you join an already established band, what is a reasonable expectation of the amount of time it should take to get a gig? This is assuming you're able to learn the set (say half hour-45min of already written music) within a reasonable amount of time.

As soon as you know the material. Upon being accepted into the band the band will tell you what gigs you're playing at. In the case that they wiped their gig calendar in order to find a guitarist and train him up, 1-2 months.

Quote:
Basically what expectations do you guys have when joining an somewhat established band?

Regular gigs, established fanbase, songs are already written.

Quote:
At what point do you guys say "ok this is a waste of time we still don't have a gig" and move on?

Probably the same as any band, 2-3 months without a gig and I'll generally walk.

Also I'd like to point out with this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0c00ler
Not everyone is always looking to gig, most low-end gigs require you to do all the work, like promoting/selling tickets and having shit figured out, and the payout is very low especially when split 3-5 ways. I'm not saying not to do it, but don't be too worried about your band if it doesn't gig too much.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on the money for an originals band. If you want some decent money from each gig, join a cover band. If you want to create and share your own music for little return, join an originals band. But just because you don't make money from the originals doesn't mean you shouldn't play them.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

I didn't vote, because it's a cloudy question, like Alan explained. There's a pretty big difference between a 'new band' and an 'established band'. It all depends on the professionalism, motivation, and care from the band. If no one cares about getting a gig, it'll take forever, if the whole band is amped to gig then they'll be much quicker about finding a gig.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: