Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
el_suave

Guitar Build Help

Hey guys,
So this may sound stupid, but I have no experience in building guitars, so bare with me. I would really like to make a kind of "custom" guitar, but I don't want it to be a super expensive build. I've looked on Warmoth and I like their stuff, but it's a tad pricey and I would still have to get the electronics and hardware put on, which I have zero experience doing. I have also looked into doing a "frankenbuild" by getting different parts, like a loaded body, and putting it together myself. However, it is harder to find good loaded bodies and it is not as "custom" if i go that route. Any suggestions? Is it that difficult to put electronics and hardware on?
el_suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

From my [extremely limited] experience, putting the electronics and hardware on is the easiest part. It just requires a little bit of patience and skill with a soldering iron to make the wiring properly, and the rest of the hardware is simply screwed into place.
Afterwards, it's simply a matter of setting up the guitar (action, intonation, etc.).

I'd say the most difficult part is building a neck -- slotting it and fitting the truss rod, making the fretboard, carving and applying the inlays, inserting the fretwire...
If you get a complete neck, you save yourself a lot of work.

Then, the routing and drilling of the body (and headstock) for the hardware also requires extreme precision. One milimeter off, and you'll have issues.
Again, by getting a pre-routed/drilled body you save yourself a lot of work.

Finally, you have to take into account that if you want top-notch results, finishing a guitar is a very long and delicate process. Using wood filler, sanding, applying primer, paint, clearcoat, wet sanding, buffing...

So, to answer your question: no, it isn't very difficult to put electronics and hardware on. Just get all the parts you need already complete, painted, finished and ready for assembly.

But if you're planning on making more guitars in the future, I think it'd be worth it to start making everything from scratch.
Sure, the results will probably not be amazing at all at first, but you'll learn the skills you need and you'll perfect them over time.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
roneldjr

Instead of biting off such a big chunk at first like building necks, bodies and all the finishing as your first crack at it, why not "customize" a Squier or Agile or Epi? Get a Squier Strat and drop in some better pups. then get a pre-wired pickguard with modified wiring. Along the way you'll acquire experience, skill and idea's for what you want in a "custom" guitar. you'll be spinning you're wheels while you try and decide what your custom guitar looks like. You'll also gain an appreciation for the level of difficulty for what this project will entail. This way the worst that can happen is you have a Strat and a full blown case of GAS. I don't know what your skill level at woodworking is but if you insist on going the build from scratch route, I would try building a simple workbench first to put in your garage. You'll use most of the tools needed to construct even a solid body electric. Best of luck and upload a pic here & there.
roneldjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
stormin1155

I've been building, repairing, and modding guitars as a hobby for 25 years, and recently opened my own shop and now make a living at it. A lot of people use the term "build" to describe what is really just assembling parts. To me "build" means you are creating the pieces from raw chunks of wood.

It sounds like you are asking about assembling a guitar from parts. That isn't terribly difficult, but does require some skill, knowledge, and basic tools. One of the challenges for beginners is just knowing all the parts needed to complete a guitar. I have drawers full of parts, but if I had to order everything it would be a pretty long list.

Don't expect to save money by building your own. The market is flooded with cheap, high quality guitars made by companies that have the advantage of mass production, high-volume materials purchasing power, and cheap foreign labor.

A complete "scratch," or what I call "sawdust" build requires a LOT of skill, knowledge, and a full shop of tools. I doubt that you are ready for that.

Building a guitar from parts can be fun and a good learning experience. That's how I started.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
el_suave

I apologize, I wasn't very clear. By build, i meant get different parts and assemble them myself. I have been doing some looking and i have determined i would most likely like to get a body and neck and some pickups and put them together, but i am having some trouble finding a good place to get parts. Does anyone know of anywhere?
el_suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_suave
I apologize, I wasn't very clear. By build, i meant get different parts and assemble them myself. I have been doing some looking and i have determined i would most likely like to get a body and neck and some pickups and put them together, but i am having some trouble finding a good place to get parts. Does anyone know of anywhere?

Guitar Fetish sell all the parts you would need. A lot of their stuff has a very good reputation, but I don't know about the quality of their necks and bodies.

FWIW, if I were doing a complete assembly I would go expensive, Warmoth or USACG, but for inexpensive I have gone for modding used cheapos. The latest was a Peavey Raptor pawn shop junker that I got for $75 (would have been about $50 in the US), from which I salvaged the body, neck, (good quality) tuners and bridge. I re-routed the body, made a pickguard and added decent electronics.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
dg47nuku1

i build couple guitar and one place for good parts is stewart macdonald i replace a bridge on
gibson and was pretty happy with it. and with building or modaifing or guitar know what you want
check if its spec ,radis scale so it works right. have a good plan and two or three time .
and the same building from start .
dg47nuku1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: