Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
EricChic98

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sV3mDAHksbA

Marco Sfogli, the link leads to an awesome performance of his song, Andromeda.

Last edited by EricChic98 : 06-29-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot comment
EricChic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
Oliver_White3

Oliver_White3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
rohash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_White3
You mean a bass guitarist then right, Paul McCartney didn't do any guitar soloing on Taxman- that was most likely Lennon but it could have been George, I think it was Lennon though. As in soloing you would mean a bass solo??? I don't think there is one on the song. Robby Kreiger, he's good but he gains his recognition trust me, The Doors are gaining so much recognition, I think The Beatles and The Doors as respective artists including all of them are essentially recognized now, Kreiger is an alright blues player although that's not really his style he does certain things better, not that he "sucks" he specializes in certain genres better than others, his blues take is alright.

I think we should be focusing on bands and musicians here that are not so well recognized or discussed, I feel it's safe to say that The Doors and The Beatles are individually recognized as great musicians all the time.

So?? Lets talk about obscure guitarists or ones that are commonly overlooked like the great jazz guitarists- George Benson for example or the fusion guitarists like Holdsworth or Robert Fripp as I mentioned or even Jeff Beck who are all shadowed by the overrated like Clapton.

Paul did in fact play the guitar solo in Taxman and played guitar on many Beatles tracks and solo/Wings stuff. He played ALL the instruments on his first solo album. When the original bassist(Stu Sutcliffe) quit the Beatles, the others nominated Paul because he was the best instrumentalist in the group and could learn bass the quickest. I guess that proves the point that he's underrated as a guitarist because most people just think of him playing bass.

I like Kreiger's psychodelic stuff more than his blues playing. The eerie solo on When the Musics Over is one of my all-time faves.

It's hard to be underrated if nobody's heard of you. If we're gonna go with best guitarists that 99.9% of the general public don't know of, I'd say Danny Morris.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #24
emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdolls138
Maybe not underrated, but ALL of the guitar work on Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak is phenomenal and I never hear anyone mention it. I really think it is one of the best guitar albums ever. Les Pauls forever.

i agree about jailbreak... and would like to suggest eric bell is a little underrated too
emc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
SexyBeast810
Shut up and thrash

My nomination would have to be Matthias Jabs from the Scorpions.

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
SexyBeast810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #26
rohash

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of Steely Dan.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #27
VMCole

Tom Scholz of Boston
VMCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
Rickholly74

I'd definately agree with Paul McCartney and Prince being on the list. Paul played a number of excellent leads on Beatles songs as well as John who played lead on songs like "You Can't Do That" and "Come Together". Not fancy stuff but they fit the songs perfectly and isn't that what's important?
Prince is excellent. Your right in saying that his lead on "Purple Rain" is a classic. It was also recorded live as you see it in the film. It's not a previous track recording the band was filmed playing live. From NME article about Purple Rain:

"The song was recorded live during a benefit concert for the Minnesota Dance Theatre at the First Avenue nightclub in Minneapolis on August 3, 1983. It was the first time Wendy (who actually wrote the first chords of the song) of "Wendy + Lisa" played live as part of The Revolution. I'd say that's not a bad debut."
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
MisterJazzHands

Todd Rundgren's a great guitarist, as well as just an all together fantastic musician. Hardly anybody knows his name these days...
Others would include Matthias Jabs, Criss Oliva, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Walsh, Dave Murray and Estas Tonne. Look 'em up!

Last edited by MisterJazzHands : 08-07-2014 at 09:15 PM.
MisterJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
Rickholly74

Paul McCartney did indeed play the lead on "Taxman". It's noted in Mark Lewishon's excellent "Beatles Recoding Sessions" book and a more detailed account from someone who was there and directly involved (Beatles engineer) Geoff Emmerick in his book "Here, There and Everywhere".

I also agree with Rohash "It's hard to be underrated if nobody's heard of you." Some of the name's people have mentioned here leave me wondering "Who is that?"
I agree with the choice of Todd Rundgren and I'd add Rick Derringer to the list who gets brought into sessions often by other producers. He gets little credit for his studio work on things like Alice Cooper's "Under My Wheels" and many other studio sessions with bands who get credit for his work.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 08-08-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #31
Goochster

Larry Miller

http://www.larrymiller.co.uk/index.htm

The guy's a legend!
Goochster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #32
rohash

Tom Johnston(Doobie Brothers).
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
maddog61

In no particular order, Ales Lifeson(Rush), Neal Schon(Journey), Matthias Jabs(Scorpions), Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden), and Steve Clark(Def Leppard).
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #34
Rickholly74

I've got to agree about Neal Schon. Occasionally he overdoes it (some examples of it on the last album) but mostly his leads are very tasteful and tuneful and his technique and tone are exceptional. He is a great example of someone who usually creates leads that perfectly fit the songs. I just got the new Accept CD and I might say that Wolf Hoffman and Herman Frank are examples of great players whose leads fit the songs well but as far as underrated, I don’t think enough people know about them. As one previous forum poster wrote “you can’t be overrated or underrated if no one knows who you are”.
My basic problem with a lot of technically great players is they often get too caught up in their desire to shred or show off some great playing skills when the song doesn't call for it. That could be a forum thread unto itself: A list of songs with guitar leads that are technically well played, but totally out of place for the song. When I think of underrated guitarists I think of players who don’t get enough credit for having not only great technique but the good taste to play just what’s needed for a song.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #35
farcry

Prince wins because most people don't even know he can play
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #36
rohash

Have to agree with Neal Schon.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #37
the glue man
beep

I love Pete Townshend, but he is by no means underrated. There would be no the Who without Pete.

Truly underrated "classic rock" guitar players include Dick Dale, Link Wray, the guys from the Ventures, and I'd say David Gilmour (as a guitar player). Their influence on future generations is often shadowed by groups like Zeppelin, the Who, and Hendrix to media that even acknowledges rock music's existence prior to recent times.

RECAÍDA

TUMBLR

Last edited by the glue man : 08-27-2014 at 08:25 PM.
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #38
Guitaraddict45

I think Ritchie Kotzen is underrated , Check out The Winery Dogs....

Leslie West.....Maybe not underrated but i don't think the young lions know him......Check him out with Mountain..One of the best tones in R&R history.
Guitaraddict45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #39
Jes Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaraddict45
I think Ritchie Kotzen is underrated , Check out The Winery Dogs....

Leslie West.....Maybe not underrated but i don't think the young lions know him......Check him out with Mountain..One of the best tones in R&R history.

Oh man, I love Leslie West. He was freaking awesome.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
Will Lane
needed a amp since 1995

I've never heard any news about this guy: Tomo Milicevic. His tone and musicianship are superb.

Last edited by Will Lane : 09-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: