Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #41
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You don't have to go much deeper than Metallica to get Satanic music.

Music/Soundcloud/8Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #42
Juice Face

I don't know if death metal is considered "deeper" than posterboy metal bands like Metallica these days, but it's pretty easy to find death metal bands that don't use any satanic imagery, or at least very little.
Juice Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #43
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Oh it is, but that's not the point. The point of the thread is more "is there a place for Satan in metal anymore"

No one was claiming metal is only Satanic... though a lot of people are claiming that that's what TS was saying.

Music/Soundcloud/8Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #44
ctfod
Your move, creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1NDSIDE-J
So I guess that makes you an authority on the use of Satanic Imagery in metal music then?

That is pretty entry level stuff man.

\m/RIP DIME\m/

He said 'and more'. The obviously implies Infester, Pungent Stench, Vrolok and Disma.

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #45
Juice Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Oh it is, but that's not the point. The point of the thread is more "is there a place for Satan in metal anymore"

No one was claiming metal is only Satanic... though a lot of people are claiming that that's what TS was saying.

The title implies metal is yet to move beyond satan, "will metal ever move past 'satan". Not "does satan have any relevance in modern metal."
Juice Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #46
SkepsisMetal
./.\.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Face
The title implies metal is yet to move beyond satan, "will metal ever move past 'satan". Not "does satan have any relevance in modern metal."

That's pretty much what I got from it.

But either way, the answer is yes.
You want to listen to black metal but can't deal with satanic imagery? There's bands that do.
Thrash, death, doom, grind without satanic imagery? Plenty of bands that fit that criteria.
But for people that enjoy it, or like me, simply don't give too many ****s, there are the the rest of the bands.
I like Behemoth a great deal, doesn't mean I subscribe to their lyrical standpoints.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #47
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1NDSIDE-J
You don't make any sense. **** off

Don't quote me out of context, I don't listen to that many bands nowadays is what I said.

And don't get so angry, it's not my fault you have a 12 year old's idea of what metal is, I'm just telling you that you're stereotyping metal and that makes me think you don't actually listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #48
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Quote:
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Deep Purple, and more.

on a more serious note - Blindside - I'm sure it will. However some of the fundamentals of Satanism, as well as other philosophical currents metal picked up over the years sit so well with music, that it's probably always going to be a part of it, in one way or another.

Secondly, there are a great number of artists who approach it from a deeper point of view than simply "shock", entry-level theistic currents or simplistic laveyan hedonistic point of view. Those artists are more worthwhile for at least approaching the subject in a scholarly manner, where music becomes the vehicle for their expression and spiritual transformation, - whether the audience partakes or not, the dissonant, disharmonious worlds they make perhaps wouldn't be possible without their underlying convictions. In that case "moving past" the subject isn't necessary.

Stagnation hasn't been only due to a repetitive subject matter and its unintelligent treatment. The music writing itself has often been to put it in Wildchild's words "a documentary".

Perhaps I slightly missed your point in replying, - it's rather late and I've had an amount of booze. Hopefully I've answered as you would have liked to see this thread answered, however.
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #49
AVENGER01

true Nihilistic nature of metal? hmm wouldn't think that any genre is only for pagans..I used to be a pagan.
No all these pretend satanist.. True Satanist are like the folks at the Bilderberg meetings,
Politicians who want to depopulate then enslave the world..Now that's my son is what true evil looks like.
AVENGER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #50
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael667
Anti-Christianism is one of the defining characteristics of black metal. Take away satan/paganism/misanthropy and it's no longer called black metal.

I personally prefer misanthropy to the lame "HAIL SATAN" or "YAY! NEO-PAGANISM" that some of the newer BM bands do. As Blindside said, it worked when BM bands were new and such. But it's been almost 15 years since BM began. Do we really need more BM bands that write cheesy lyrics about demon worship or how Thor is great? I say no.

I much more enjoy newer BM bands that use misanthropic writing in their lyrics.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFripp74
Don't quote me out of context, I don't listen to that many bands nowadays is what I said.

And don't get so angry, it's not my fault you have a 12 year old's idea of what metal is, I'm just telling you that you're stereotyping metal and that makes me think you don't actually listen to it.

Are you actually trying to tell someone else, "You don't listen to Metal"?

As for that in regards to Blindside, you do realize that Blindside is fairly active on this forum, right? I see him post on Death and Black Metal band threads all the time. (Many of these threads which are discussing new bands [as in, bands with 2010-2014 record releases].) So, shut it. You're being a prick.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #51
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

Jews so despise themselves that they can't help but project their hate unto others

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Jacoby, are you really that immature? That you have to take a potshot at me (in a racist manner, no less), just because you dislike me?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #53
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVENGER01
true Nihilistic nature of metal? hmm wouldn't think that any genre is only for pagans..I used to be a pagan.
No all these pretend satanist.. True Satanist are like the folks at the Bilderberg meetings,
Politicians who want to depopulate then enslave the world..Now that's my son is what true evil looks like.

This has nothing to do with metal and it's just a way for you to bitch about the latest conspiracy you read on Wikipedia. Shush.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #54
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

That you assumed that it was about you corroborates the theory

The phone rings
I pick up

Old 05-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #55
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
That you assumed that it was about you corroborates the theory

Yes...

I mean, why wouldn't I assume you mean me? After all, I'm the only guy who has admitted to being a Jew on this forum really. But whatever.

In any case, back on topic...it'd be sort of cool if more bands would create their own horror mythos or dystopian mythos. I find that kind of thing to be really cool and creative.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-31-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #56
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:

Okay maybe I should have worded it a bit different and been more specific. I was assuming though that the regulars would be the only ones replying and in that context that means 98% occult metal. So continue to make a big deal over nothing douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus

on a more serious note - Blindside - I'm sure it will. However some of the fundamentals of Satanism, as well as other philosophical currents metal picked up over the years sit so well with music, that it's probably always going to be a part of it, in one way or another.

Secondly, there are a great number of artists who approach it from a deeper point of view than simply "shock", entry-level theistic currents or simplistic laveyan hedonistic point of view. Those artists are more worthwhile for at least approaching the subject in a scholarly manner, where music becomes the vehicle for their expression and spiritual transformation, - whether the audience partakes or not, the dissonant, disharmonious worlds they make perhaps wouldn't be possible without their underlying convictions. In that case "moving past" the subject isn't necessary.

Stagnation hasn't been only due to a repetitive subject matter and its unintelligent treatment. The music writing itself has often been to put it in Wildchild's words "a documentary".

Perhaps I slightly missed your point in replying, - it's rather late and I've had an amount of booze. Hopefully I've answered as you would have liked to see this thread answered, however.

Nah man you got my point entirely, good reply thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Yes...
In any case, back on topic...it'd be sort of cool if more bands would create their own horror mythos or dystopian mythos. I find that kind of thing to be really cool and creative.

If you find any let me know, I'd definitely be interested. Not saying there aren't any out there but I'm not currently aware of any. The more I think about it though the more I am aware that I should pay more attention to lyrical content.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 05-31-2014 at 03:14 PM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #57
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

I flew over crystal ground
My existence, numb
Over orchards of grievance,
sorrow and tears
This beautiful silence
calls me now
Black fog devours me but I can see it all
The monument of my past,
this land of seven horizons before my eyes
I reach the land of spiritual rest

The phone rings
I pick up

Old 05-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #58
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

So lemme get this straight, you throw a fit when kids make shit threads on here, and then you go make one yourself?
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #59
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

Are you actually trying to tell someone else, "You don't listen to Metal"?

As for that in regards to Blindside, you do realize that Blindside is fairly active on this forum, right? I see him post on Death and Black Metal band threads all the time. (Many of these threads which are discussing new bands [as in, bands with 2010-2014 record releases].) So, shut it. You're being a prick.

Oh sam you do get so angry at everyone, plus I wasn't even targeting you, calm down those breasts of yours

And no, I'm not saying he doesn't listen to metal, I'm just saying that the notion that every metal band is obsessed with skulls, satan and death is a really out dated view and a severe stereotype, and the people that fuel that stereotype are generally people who don't actually listen to metal.
I'm sure Blindside does listen to metal but his view that every band in the genre is into those things is a bad generalisation.

It's like the people who think all rap lyrics are about drugs and gang shootings, it's an incorrect stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #60
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
So lemme get this straight, you throw a fit when kids make shit threads on here, and then you go make one yourself?

haha I'm not seeing you trying to generate anything of merit **** stick. Also if you didn't notice people are actually talking about something beside their dicks.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 05-31-2014 at 03:21 PM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: