Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
SexyBeast810
Shut up and thrash

Cab build

Hey guys,
So a couple days ago I posted a thread regarding what wood to use to build a 2x12 guitar cab, and decided to start another thread dedicated to the entire build.

Right now, my biggest worries are what head to use and what speakers to use. I know I could probably wait to worry about this until I get closer to being done, but I just want to get everything budgeted out before I get too far into this.

For the head, I was looking at the Blackstar HT Metal 5H and the Orange Micro Terror, but am open to other suggestions that you guys have. I really need a head with a good distortion channel. Cleans are not too much of a priority, but a good plus. It has to be tube. I am trying to keep the price at no more than $400, since money is a bit tight, but I want to get something with good tone without spending a huge amount of money. And yes, I am willing to go used if I must.

For the speakers, I was looking at a combination of Eminence Texas Heat and Swamp Thang, and was wondering if this combination is good for metal (thrash metal specifically). I was also looking at either two Celestion G12T-75 or two Celstion G12K-100, though they seem a bit expensive for two speakers. I am also open to suggestions with the speakers, but try to keep the price at no more than $200.

Thanks for the help, and I will keep you guys posted as I go along.

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
SexyBeast810 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

If it has to be tube the blackstar is hybrid and so is the orange

i'd have said the texas heat and swamp thang were a bit modern/chunky/american-sounding for thrash. The g12t75 is very thrashy indeed, but might be too scooped if you want some versatility in there (other companies like eminence and WGS make their own takes on a g12t75 which are probably a bit cheaper, but I'm guessing they're not identical, either).

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Fastmerc

As mentioned the g1275 is a great metal speaker, although Im not sure the small 5 watt heads have enough power to drive them to their potential you would have to do some research on that. From what I remember the speaker sensitivity is fairly low on those and therefore takes some decent watts to get them moving.

As far as the w heads, I think you would be happier with the blackstar from everthing I have read and heard. I used to have an Orange Mini Terror and while it was ok the single channel was very limiting. I would say you would at least want a mini terror if you went the Orange route though, the micro terror is just too small for a pair of 12's.

I have a 4 12 cab with the 1275's but it gets powered with 100 watts of marshall tube power. The Orange I had running a cab with 2 12's one v30 and one anniversary 30 and it did sound good. If the Orange had 2 channels I probably would have kept it.

I really want to add a blackstar, but another head you will want to check out for metal is the H and K tubemiester 18.

Last edited by Fastmerc : 06-01-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Fastmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

^ what is an Orange mini Terror?
I've heard of the Micro Terror, but there is no Mini Terror

5 watts is plenty to run a G12T75
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Fastmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
^ what is an Orange mini Terror?
I've heard of the Micro Terror, but there is no Mini Terror

5 watts is plenty to run a G12T75

Sorry meant Tiny Terror
Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah the tiny terror is all-tube, far as i'm aware. i'm not sure how metal it is, though. more of a rock amp, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc
I really want to add a blackstar, but another head you will want to check out for metal is the H and K tubemiester 18.

I don't think the tubemeister is all-tube either. that's just a hunch, though.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Fastmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ yeah the tiny terror is all-tube, far as i'm aware. i'm not sure how metal it is, though. more of a rock amp, i think.

I don't think the tubemeister is all-tube either. that's just a hunch, though.

Yeah the HK 18 is all tube 2 12ax7 pre, 2 EL84 power.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Yes, but there are clipping diodes in the signal path to get the amount of gain it does. There are several amps that are hybrid but the company's claim they are all tube the TM series is one of them
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
SexyBeast810
Shut up and thrash

Thanks for the suggestions guys. For the speakers, do you think that the Eminence Man o War is a good idea? I will keep the Celestions in mind, but I am trying not to spend too much money. If all else fails, then I will spend the money for them.

For the head, sometime I will go to the music store and see what kinds they have. I found the Blackstar head from Sam Ash for about $360 used. I will keep that in mind as I keep looking some more. I will get the wood I need this week, and hopefully get started building in the very near future.

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
SexyBeast810 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I haven't tried the manowar but it's eminence's take on a g12t75, far as i'm aware. WGS also does a G12t75-style speaker, but I haven't tried it, either.

A lot of people like mixing a g12t75 with a vintage 30 (and I'm guessing the same combo would work with eminence and WGS too, i.e. their version of a vintage 30). that'll make it sound a bit less thrashy and a bit more middy, but maybe more versatile for other types of music. just depends on what you want.

Quote:

assuming it uses two triodes for the phase inverter (you can use just one but most modern amps use two), that only leaves two for the preamp. Again, possible, but unlikely especially if it's high gain (and I think it is).

It may well have op-amp gain stages in addition to diode clipping. I know the edition tube did (seen a schematic).

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 06-02-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Rate This Thread: