Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Vocal booth

I'm thinking of putting together a place where I can practice vocals (maybe to experiment with recording too).

So far the plan is to get some MDF and create a 4ft x 3ft x 7.5ft box in my home studio, then line it with 0.5 inch plasterboard and some acoustic foam tiles.

The goal is to let the least amount of sound out so I can practice and maybe record vocals any time during the day without disturbing my parents or neighbours.

So what do you guys think?

Looking for Vocalists for Online Collaboration
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...58#post32948058
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I think if you want decent soundproofing you'll have to do more than that - even vocalists get pretty damn loud at the peak of their range/different voices.

If you really wanna do this, and have the space, at the very least make a larger enclosure (complete with floor and ceiling) in the room, and then put some rubber support wedge things (forgotten the correct term for them) in the corners and maybe halfway between each corner if required, plus something the same height under the centre (maybe a slab of concrete) to support any weight in the centre, and then create another room-shape in there.

This requires planning, good/accurate measurements and decent DIY skills though and is not the kind of thing you can just put up in a few mins and take down again after use, or move easily once built. So think carefully, and decide if you really need a soundproof booth in your room. A better thing would be to use a space that doesn't need to be as well soundproofed and just do minor stuff to it, though I appreciate that isn't always possible.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Afroboy267

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
I think if you want decent soundproofing you'll have to do more than that - even vocalists get pretty damn loud at the peak of their range/different voices.

If you really wanna do this, and have the space, at the very least make a larger enclosure (complete with floor and ceiling) in the room, and then put some rubber support wedge things (forgotten the correct term for them) in the corners and maybe halfway between each corner if required, plus something the same height under the centre (maybe a slab of concrete) to support any weight in the centre, and then create another room-shape in there.

This requires planning, good/accurate measurements and decent DIY skills though and is not the kind of thing you can just put up in a few mins and take down again after use, or move easily once built. So think carefully, and decide if you really need a soundproof booth in your room. A better thing would be to use a space that doesn't need to be as well soundproofed and just do minor stuff to it, though I appreciate that isn't always possible.

Damn, sounds like a big job! Unfortunately I don't have the space in my room to do that. I only have enough room for a 3ft x 4ft x 7.5ft box. It doesn't have to be 100% soundproofed, but I want to get as close to that as possible with the space that I have. It wouldn't need to be movable, it'll be in 1 place the whole time.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I mean, you could probably build something and treat it to suffer less from internal reflections or to avoid being a big bass trap or boxy room, but I don't think you could easily make a small booth that allows you to do professional sounding vocals late at night if your parents sleep next door, for example.

Music Stuff

Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Afroboy267

Quote:
I mean, you could probably build something and treat it to suffer less from internal reflections or to avoid being a big bass trap or boxy room, but I don't think you could easily make a small booth that allows you to do professional sounding vocals late at night if your parents sleep next door, for example.

Yeah. I'm not really looking for a professional recording booth, just something to practice and demo in whilst keeping the noise to a minimum. I'll be using it in the evenings but not late at night so that's not a problem.

So what do you think of the MDF/Plasterboard/Acoustic Foam combination?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

If you do, try and put something between the MDF and plasterboard to create a gap between them. Whether it's some rubber insulation mat type thing or some other sort of insulation. Would reduce some of the volume, but without being thick and dense you won't kill a lot of the low mids and low end much.

Music Stuff

Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Afroboy267

Quote:
If you do, try and put something between the MDF and plasterboard to create a gap between them. Whether it's some rubber insulation mat type thing or some other sort of insulation. Would reduce some of the volume, but without being thick and dense you won't kill a lot of the low mids and low end much.

Would this be ideal for that? It would be pretty expensive to add, would it really make that much of a difference?

This is probably something I'll gradually add layers to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

Last edited by Afroboy267 : 06-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Yep, that's the stuff and I'd say pretty effective - they give that particular one an averaged noise reduction rating of 24dBSPL for a single layer (2mm). Don't gain tons by doubling up layers though. It's up to you really though. If you just want a booth that will lower leakage a little but is mainly just treated for reflections, no need to bother; if you want somewhere soundproofed enough to sing and not disturb other rooms... depends how much noise your neighbours/parents will tolerate

Music Stuff

Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Afroboy267

Quote:
Yep, that's the stuff and I'd say pretty effective - they give that particular one an averaged noise reduction rating of 24dBSPL for a single layer (2mm). Don't gain tons by doubling up layers though. It's up to you really though. If you just want a booth that will lower leakage a little but is mainly just treated for reflections, no need to bother; if you want somewhere soundproofed enough to sing and not disturb other rooms... depends how much noise your neighbours/parents will tolerate

Awesome. 24dB is quite a bit. If I can justify spending 1,700 on a Kemper Power Rack I can spend the extra on this to get better results.

So MDF - Soundproofing Mat - Plasterboard - Acoustic Foam Tiles for most amount of volume reduction for the space?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Yes, that's the best plan really. It does say it works most effectively sandwiched between two layers of 'acoustic' plasterboard (which, I presume, is just a more dense plasterboard with higher mass per square cm) but sandwiching it between your outer layer of MDF and the plasterboard will still have a similar effect. Adding the acoustic foam on the inside will do more to treat high frequency inner reflections than soundproofing, but it will reduce spill of high freq. content I suppose, though that probably wouldn't get through the other layers anyway.

If you want anybody else's opinion, feel free to ask in the Chat thread (axemanchris is particularly good at relating soundproofing to other analogous situations ) to see if anyone else has any suggestions, but I'm quietly confident you'll get good results with the above and be happy with them.

Music Stuff

Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
Awesome. 24dB is quite a bit. If I can justify spending 1,700 on a Kemper Power Rack I can spend the extra on this to get better results.

I'll sell you my unpowered toaster version for a mere 1050 + shipping. Give you lots of money left over for your booth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Afroboy267

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I'll sell you my unpowered toaster version for a mere 1050 + shipping. Give you lots of money left over for your booth!

**** YES

Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Afroboy267

Quote:
Yes, that's the best plan really. It does say it works most effectively sandwiched between two layers of 'acoustic' plasterboard (which, I presume, is just a more dense plasterboard with higher mass per square cm) but sandwiching it between your outer layer of MDF and the plasterboard will still have a similar effect. Adding the acoustic foam on the inside will do more to treat high frequency inner reflections than soundproofing, but it will reduce spill of high freq. content I suppose, though that probably wouldn't get through the other layers anyway.

If you want anybody else's opinion, feel free to ask in the Chat thread (axemanchris is particularly good at relating soundproofing to other analogous situations ) to see if anyone else has any suggestions, but I'm quietly confident you'll get good results with the above and be happy with them.

Awesome. Cheers

Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Would this be ideal for that? It would be pretty expensive to add, would it really make that much of a difference?

This is probably something I'll gradually add layers to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

This will work, but it's very expensive - really, the goal of adding something between the two surfaces is to add weight, which mitigates low-end spread, effectively decreasing buildup inside the booth, and decreasing the volume of sound traveling outside of it.

Since the goal is really just to add weight - I'd suggest you look into a roofing membrane that is called "torch-down" here in the states (not sure what it's called in the UK). Basically, it's a rubber/asphalt paper that come in different weight ranges (90 lb is ideal, or more, if your walls can support it) you can staple to the backside of your "walls" to add weight, which lowers the frequency of sound that will travel out of the booth.

FWIW, most "professional" booths are actually very large rooms, with 6-12 inches of acoustic insulation on all sides, in order to give a completely dead sound. The acoustic foam you usually see on the walls in these rooms are to reduce standing waves, by creating hundreds upon thousands of reflection points around the room. They're not really there as a benefit to any kind of soundproofing or frequency treatment, other than reducing buildup in a rectangular room.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Afroboy267

Quote:
This will work, but it's very expensive - really, the goal of adding something between the two surfaces is to add weight, which mitigates low-end spread, effectively decreasing buildup inside the booth, and decreasing the volume of sound traveling outside of it.

Since the goal is really just to add weight - I'd suggest you look into a roofing membrane that is called "torch-down" here in the states (not sure what it's called in the UK). Basically, it's a rubber/asphalt paper that come in different weight ranges (90 lb is ideal, or more, if your walls can support it) you can staple to the backside of your "walls" to add weight, which lowers the frequency of sound that will travel out of the booth.

FWIW, most "professional" booths are actually very large rooms, with 6-12 inches of acoustic insulation on all sides, in order to give a completely dead sound. The acoustic foam you usually see on the walls in these rooms are to reduce standing waves, by creating hundreds upon thousands of reflection points around the room. They're not really there as a benefit to any kind of soundproofing or frequency treatment, other than reducing buildup in a rectangular room.

The total cost comes to about 250 which is fine for me as I work full time and live at home. It's mainly space which is the issue. The structure is gonna be pretty heavy as it is so I think the matt is the best way personally.

Yeah, I realized the foam won't serve much purpose after I posted it haha. I'll give the combination I've got down a try and report back.

Cheers

Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
The total cost comes to about 250 which is fine for me as I work full time and live at home. It's mainly space which is the issue. The structure is gonna be pretty heavy as it is so I think the matt is the best way personally.

Yeah, I realized the foam won't serve much purpose after I posted it haha. I'll give the combination I've got down a try and report back.

Cheers

YES to access anything just buy a domain name for $2! I mean i r getting pissy cause I suck.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Afroboy267

Quote:
YES to access anything just buy a domain name for $2! I mean i r getting pissy cause I suck.

wat

Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

He's using some random text generator to post. Ignore him

Music Stuff

Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
He's using some random text generator to post. Ignore him

Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
Afroboy267

Update: The MDF frame is now built. Measures 3ft x 4ft x 7ft. Next is the acoustic mat then plasterboard

Rate This Thread: