Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

cigar box guitars general questions, etc.

first off i looked pretty thoroughly and didn't find it in a sticky up top, so i assume there isn't a dedicated thread. if there is, please direct me there.

what are they tuned to? i was thinging GBD if its three string. open tuning great for slide.

steel strings or nylon?

are they commonly three string and not four?

i see some with pickups and some who don't, what would you recommend for a pickup? i have extra pickups sitting around just toss a bucker in?

i have extra tuning keys. standard guitar tuners work, right?

i have a TON of cigar boxes. i quit smoking two years ago, and based on estimate i smoked around 1500. three a day usually.

what is better a deeper box, a thinner box? thicker sides thinner sides?

if you have examples i would love to see them.

i am not being lazy in this thread either, i am researching at the same time, i just trust you guys more.

and thank you.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

http://makezine.com/projects/make-21/cigar-box-guitar/

this is the most thorough i have seen, but i have now read two and watched a few youtube videos, it seems like it could go a hundred different ways.

as i find more i will add it in here via edit.

edit:

http://cigarboxguitars.com/resource...igar-box-guitar

that looks good too, but they do a lot of things different. from the neck material poplar instead of maple or oak.

the first link wants the bottom two tuners directly across, second doesn't. he didn't fret it either and just burned in lines (probably more comfortable if you are going to be using a slide a lot).

tunings differ. i really want it on a triad but i don't know how well it will work.

what would you tune them in?
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 06-02-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Cajundaddy

This guy takes his cigar box guitars pretty seriously. Brows his stuff. The guy can sing too.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Guitbuilder

I've built a few electric CBG's. I have no experiance with three string "primitive" CBG's.
My CBG's have an internal hardwood oak frame that the box and a standard bolt on neck screw to. It's as wide as the tailpiece or bridge needs it to be, notched for the neck pocket deep enough so the neck sits at the proper height above the box top, as long as the inside of the box. This frame has to be as thick as the inside of the box where the bridge is, relieved for pickup s in the middle and notiched for the neck pocket in front.
The longer the box, the better it is to get the scale length to work with a bolt on neck. Arturo Fuente has some nice boxes that are the right length. Box thickness helps playability.
Counter ballance the box with weights. An electric CBG will be neck heavy if you don't make the box weigh more. I've used GM brake calipers, fishing weights, bike chain, etc glued into the box to balance the guitar. A guitar strap helps keep the CBG in place while playing.
I've quit trying to upload pictures to this site, but if you go to www.realmusiciansforum.com and look in Guitar Workbench you can find my Electric Cigar Box Guitar thread with pictures there. Good luck

Last edited by Guitbuilder : 06-02-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitbuilder
I've built a few electric CBG's. I have no experiance with three string "primitive" CBG's.
My CBG's have an internal hardwood oak frame that the box and a standard bolt on neck screw to. It's as wide as the tailpiece or bridge needs it to be, notched for the neck pocket deep enough so the neck sits at the proper height above the box top, as long as the inside of the box. This frame has to be as thick as the inside of the box where the bridge is, relieved for pickup s in the middle and notiched for the neck pocket in front.
The longer the box, the better it is to get the scale length to work with a bolt on neck. Arturo Fuente has some nice boxes that are the right length. Box thickness helps playability.
Counter ballance the box with weights. An electric CBG will be neck heavy if you don't make the box weigh more. I've used GM brake calipers, fishing weights, bike chain, etc glued into the box to balance the guitar. A guitar strap helps keep the CBG in place while playing.
I've quit trying to upload pictures to this site, but if you go to www.realmusiciansforum.com and look in Guitar Workbench you can find my Electric Guitar thread with pictures there. Good luck

Thanks! I will check it out.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Tony Done

I tried cigar box guitars a few times, and prefer four strings to three, but have listen to Seasick Steve and some of the good Cuban tres players.

Tunings will depend on what you want to play. A power chord, 7-5 semitone intervals works well for over driven slide on three strings. You could do the same with four strings, 7-5-7 semitones, but I've found that too much of a good thing. On an open 4-string tuning I would likely go 4-3-5 semitones, which puts the tonic on the 1st and 4th strings.

You could also use the four high string guitar intervals, and play it like a tenor or baritone uke, or use a short scale and mandolin, or tenor guitar (7-7-7) intervals. That has a great sound for flatpicking once you learn the chords.

Last edited by Tony Done : 06-04-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: