Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
HERMEC

Why do people say musicians get so many girls?

Well I've been playing guitar my whole life. I'm 20 and I've gone to bed with 3 women but they were only one night stands. As far as socializing with women I am terrible. I mainly play bluesy bass now but I'm terrible at talking to women. Granted once I catch one I always reel her in but as far as talking to women I stink
[IMG]*********************mtmn7wr[/IMG]

Last edited by HERMEC : 06-03-2014 at 04:49 AM.
HERMEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
innovine

Must be just you.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

It's a lie spread by Gibson to sell more guitars.

Or maybe you just need some more confidence. Music always helps.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
rootsofmy

Because they do.
rootsofmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
b00m

Stop playing the blues.
b00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Because people are idiots.

Yes, music helps with confidence. But people see big-time musicians getting women (because they're famous), and they think, "Oh, it's just because he plays guitar". No, it's because the dude's famous.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
evhledzep5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Because people are idiots.

Yes, music helps with confidence. But people see big-time musicians getting women (because they're famous), and they think, "Oh, it's just because he plays guitar". No, it's because the dude's famous.

Lol, agreed. People just seem to care about fame and money nowadays. The guitar seems to have lost its chick appeal. At least for rock and roll guitarists; pull out an acoustic and play Wonderwall and you'll have chicks gathering round to listen. Or John Mayer. By now enough bras have probably been thrown on stage at his concerts to open a Victoria's Secret.

ALTHOUGH I might point out that allegedly some studies have been conducted with data suggesting that those posing holding an instrument are more likely to get chicks than those without one. Check out the article here: http://www.guitarworld.com/two-new-...-holding-guitar
evhledzep5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by evhledzep5150
People just seem to care about fame and money nowadays.

People have always cared about that. It's not a modern phenomenon.

Quote:
The guitar seems to have lost its chick appeal. At least for rock and roll guitarists; pull out an acoustic and play Wonderwall and you'll have chicks gathering round to listen. Or John Mayer. By now enough bras have probably been thrown on stage at his concerts to open a Victoria's Secret.

Meh. I would just say, you shouldn't play music because you want to get chicks. The ONLY reason to play music is you personally enjoy it. If getting women is your end goal in regards to playing music, then...there's an issue.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
evhledzep5150

Quote:
People have always cared about that. It's not a modern phenomenon.

Meh. I would just say, you shouldn't play music because you want to get chicks. The ONLY reason to play music is you personally enjoy it. If getting women is your end goal in regards to playing music, then...there's an issue.

Good point. But at least the music industry nowadays is way more geared towards money than it is on talented individuals who can make quality music. I would argue that it was at least a bit more about music back then. At least a little. Or perhaps there were just more creative individuals back then than there are now.

And yeah, I despise people who play solely to get chicks... Being the guy into technical playing and instrumentals that nonguitarists have never heard of, chicks are way out of the picture haha. It's just for the love of playing guitar nerds ftw :P
evhledzep5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
icronic

Being a musician isn't really a substitute for personality.

Does it make it easier? Absolutely. You're on stage so people are going to notice you. If you're up there looking confident and you actually make eye contact with the audience rather than staring at your instrument the whole time then girls will be more likely to approach you or put themselves in a position where it's easy for you to approach them. From there it's really down to your charm and personality.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Good point. But at least the music industry nowadays is way more geared towards money than it is on talented individuals who can make quality music. I would argue that it was at least a bit more about music back then. At least a little. Or perhaps there were just more creative individuals back then than there are now.

No, it's always been about money. It's an industry. The end result, as far industry officials are concerned, is how much money an artist or a band can make them. There's a reason why many excellent bands (with hundreds of thousands of fans) are either making their record labels (example: Metallica) or doing crowdfunding projects (example: Protest the Hero). The music industry never gave a shit how talented a band was or how good their music was.

See Motown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown

The difference between the '60s/'70s/'80s and today is...there are more bands and artists. It's easier than ever to record an EP or even a full length record -- AND to make it sound professional. Before today, it was a lot more expensive. It's still a lot of work to be doing music full time, but it's easier today to record good quality albums than ever before, really. So, count your blessings, man!

Quote:
And yeah, I despise people who play solely to get chicks... Being the guy into technical playing and instrumentals that nonguitarists have never heard of, chicks are way out of the picture haha. It's just for the love of playing guitar nerds ftw :P

Fair enough!

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 06-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
pull out an acoustic and play Wonderwall and you'll have chicks gathering round to listen. Or John Mayer.

That's it, I'm never playing Wonderwall again. I don't want to risk John Mayer hitting on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
azrael4h

Quote:

The difference between the '60s/'70s/'80s and today is...there are more bands and artists. It's easier than ever to record an EP or even a full length record -- AND to make it sound professional. Before today, it was a lot more expensive. It's still a lot of work to be doing music full time, but it's easier today to record good quality albums than ever before, really. So, count your blessings, man!

Fair enough!

On the other hand, it's also easier for the same technology to mask poor performers. Hence we have low-talent "singers" gyrating on stage instead of singing, using pre-recorded garbling that's cleaned up. It's also a lot cheaper; it takes years and years to make a Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and Robert Plant. It takes divine intervention to place them together as often as not. Then even after talented individuals come together, then you have to spend money to find them.

Compare this to trolling youtube for pretty girls and boy-girls, usually teenagers. 10 minutes and you have the next top 10 list. Tell them you'll make them famous for some "quality" time under the sheets, and you get Justin Beaver and Milly Cyrus. Shut them up later by giving them heroin, chances are they'll O.D. and never write a tell all in a decade hoping to become famous again after they've been used up. If you're good enough at it, you may even get a lifetime achievement award for it. Ask Woody Allen.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERMEC
Well I've been playing guitar my whole life. I'm 20 and I've gone to bed with 3 women but they were only one night stands. As far as socializing with women I am terrible. I mainly play bluesy bass now but I'm terrible at talking to women. Granted once I catch one I always reel her in but as far as talking to women I stink
[IMG]*********************mtmn7wr[/IMG]

I once had this girl with half her teeth missing hit on me at a gig. I was like "man this is why I play guitar!!! "
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
20Tigers

Studies have been done and when all other factors are neutralized girls prefer guys that have musical ability over those that do not.

When you add all other factors back in it is only one small piece of the puzzle.

As an example Beethoven had absolutely no luck with the ladies. He desperately wanted a woman but they rebuffed him on a regular basis and he led a pretty lonely life on the romantic front. But he wrote some of the best music anybody has ever written.

Girls also like guys that speak multiple languages, have a sense of humour, are intelligent, physically fit, etc. But just because a guy can speak Italian he's not going to have girls throwing their number at him everywhere he goes.

You're 20. Focus on your own goals in life. Think about what you want to be as a man and as a human being regardless of whether you find a girl or not. Work hard to become that person. Everything else will take care of itself.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
AngryHatter
Position Player

If the reason you play is to impress people you probably never will.
If you play because it is within you, part of your being - the passion will show through. People recognize an honest effort.

Bob Dylan & Bruce Springsteen can't sing for beans. Can't really play, either.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #17
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHatter
People recognize an honest effort.

Citation needed.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
maximumrocker
UG's ADHD kid

I date a girl once who knew I played guitar. She thought I just used it to try to get girls and be that one dude that plays guitar. Until I posted a video of me playing some Children of Bodom, and other Melodic Death Metal stuff... and she quickly realized that I didnt use it to get girls.

Atleast I dont think most girls are into the whole "extremer" sides of metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
You're 20. Focus on your own goals in life. Think about what you want to be as a man and as a human being regardless of whether you find a girl or not. Work hard to become that person. Everything else will take care of itself.

This. The more you focus on your task the more "successful" you will be come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
maximumrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERMEC
As far as socializing with women I am terrible.

as far as talking to women I stink

I think your problem is clear.

Practice, dude.

Women are people. If you can talk to guys, you can talk to women.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Practise hitting on women by hitting on guys?

I can't see that backfiring at all. Good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: