Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
SOTDBand

Which passive pickup will do good?

Hello everyone! 3 years ago I bought my first guitar,it was a 1989 Vester Stage Series, made in Thailand I believe but I could be horribly wrong. It has an Alder body, maple bolt-on neck, HSS pickup configuration and originally comes in a veriaty of different colours but I had mine in Metallic Red.

It's kind of like the ancestor of the Jackson Soloist guitars, cause it is a Super Strat Type guitar and has HSS configuration just like all the soloists and dinkies of that time period.

I'm playing in a band now and use it mostly for D standard and Drop C tuning (we play Thrash Metal/Death Metal but most of our songs are covers of different metal genres like Metalcore or shit like that to make the song itself less shitty) But the pickups that are in it, mostly the bridge pickup, don't sound like I want them to in that particular tuning. So my question was which passive pickup would be good to put in such a guitar. I know what to put in the neck already (I think it's going to be a Hot Rails) but if you have any suggestions give me them
SOTDBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

Your biggest problems is strings and not the pickups. You need very heavy strings that will be a combo of bass and guitar strings. This will tighten things up a lot! A ceramic magnet in the bridge pickup will also help. In the mid and neck pickup you will want pickups wound with something other than poly wire. In the 50's and early 60's they used formvar which was top heavy and something I don't thing you are after. Int the mid 60's they switched to PE which was midheavy and, I think, good for what you are after. Higher resistance actually means less bass so in your case I'd go with a vintage output PE pickups wound to 6K give or take.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
SOTDBand

Well thanks for the advice Corduroy, but I have Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies on my Vester, so strings should not be a problem (11 to 56 or 58 I believe) it has stock pickups still in it, which are what you would expect from a mid-priced guitar build in the late 80's (AKA absolute garbage) But I would look after those kind of pickups then, any suggestions on which pickups to choose? (I prefer Seymour Duncan as a brand for passives and EMG for actives, and Seymour Duncan told me a Full Shred would be good to put in but I think it's just commercial bladibla)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
SOTDBand

Also, a friend of mine told me to take a look at either a SD Custom or a Custom 5, I've got a VGS Eruption Pro (which is a less paul copy) with a Custom Custom in it. Maybe a lil '59 in the neck and I'll let the middle pickup be as it is since I never use it
Old 06-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

What about your amplifier? Pickup upgrades are nearly useless if your amp setup is not up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
mp8andrade
Do people even read this?

Take a look at Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and Invader, really good pickups.
mp8andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
SOTDBand

I currently use a rather good modulation amp for the money, bought it for 210 quid, it's a Vox Valvetronix 40+ 40 watt combo which can be boosted to 60 watts, for the money it sounds AWESOME! But I'm going to save up some money for a Laney Ironheart 60 watts with a 2x12 combo instead cause it's more of a metal amp and just a step higher
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

I would take that pickup upgrade saving towards that Ironheart as well, cause when you get the amp, you might want something else out of the pickup, like maybe instead you want it to be a bit brighter and Seymour Duncan Custom is by no means bright...
I've played a few guitars, both budget and then mine, through Ironheart 60 Head + 4x12 cab and it sounded very good.

Quote:
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke : 06-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
SOTDBand

It sure is a great amp! By no means it needs more gain with a booster pedal and the cleans are SO bright it's unbelievable for the money. Although the complete head with a flight case and a 2x12 cabinet costs me around 900 quid, I think it's money well spend! I've tried other high gain amps of the same price range with MORE wattage and it's just not the same, there's something about the laney that speaks to me and says (buy me..... oh god buy me..... IMMA UNICORN!) So I'm gonna focuss on that sound and not my Vox's sound
Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTDBand
It sure is a great amp! By no means it needs more gain with a booster pedal and the cleans are SO bright it's unbelievable for the money. Although the complete head with a flight case and a 2x12 cabinet costs me around 900 quid, I think it's money well spend! I've tried other high gain amps of the same price range with MORE wattage and it's just not the same, there's something about the laney that speaks to me and says (buy me..... oh god buy me..... IMMA UNICORN!) So I'm gonna focuss on that sound and not my Vox's sound

That's always a good thing to hear.
Yeah, you don't need a booster, there is an on-board boost anyways... Don't know if you really need a flight case though, my VH100R has been completely safe and it has been driven here and there. I am thinking about one though, but.. nah.

Quote:

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
SOTDBand

I'm looking for a Thrash Metal/Death Metal kind of tone, but still containing clarity, brightness and saturation (so no Invaders, Invaders are cool and heavy but are also VERY muddy in my opinion) but not over do it considering Alder is REALLY bright tonewise for in the bridge. It also would be good if it would be a versatile bridge pickup so if I would ever think of replacing the Vester with something more suitable (like the Neck thru body, mahogany body, maple neck ebony fretboard, Grover tuner, EMG 81/60 pickup metal monster which I'm building right now.)
So bassically it's just for now that I can use it for my new band and can later use it for a WHOLE different style of music like Van Halen or.... you know the less Heavy types of Metal and Rock. So Versatility is one thing, tone wood and construction another. But yeah I'm planning on building a guitar now to replace it, but in the meantime it's got to be versatile enough to go for the heavy, modern types of Metal.

Rate This Thread: