Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
AccountAttempt4

Slow Arpeggios

Hey, I've been doing some sweep picking in eighth notes. I started at 120 bpm and have worked my way up one bpm per day - I'm at 147 bpm now. I don't really listen to a lot of music that features sweeping so I was wondering... What are some kinda slow sweep picking riffs or solos? I just want some sort of goal that I can try and reach 'cos at the moment I'm just slowly building up the speed without any objective other than to get faster.
AccountAttempt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountAttempt4
Hey, I've been doing some sweep picking in eighth notes. I started at 120 bpm and have worked my way up one bpm per day - I'm at 147 bpm now. I don't really listen to a lot of music that features sweeping so I was wondering... What are some kinda slow sweep picking riffs or solos? I just want some sort of goal that I can try and reach 'cos at the moment I'm just slowly building up the speed without any objective other than to get faster.

Well the main reason, if not the sole reason for playing sweep arpeggios is to show off how fast you can play so aside from videos that slowly show you how to sweep, it will be hard to find examples of sweep arpeggios played slowly.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
AccountAttempt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
Well the main reason, if not the sole reason for playing sweep arpeggios is to show off how fast you can play so aside from videos that slowly show you how to sweep, it will be hard to find examples of sweep arpeggios played slowly.

Well not necessarily slow, but the slowest you can think of. Perhaps this is a stupid question, I should just aim to reach douchebag level and then go into my local guitar store.
AccountAttempt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
mp8andrade
Do people even read this?

The slowest I know is the intro from Wild Eyes by Parkway Drive, but even then it may not be slow enough for beginners.
mp8andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Reinima

One song that comes to my mind is "Beast and the harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold. In the chorus the lead guitar plays these simple eight note arpeggios. Is a very good exercise both for slow sweep as well as alternate picking.
And in Jazz this can be all over the place without you noticing it. Arpeggiated chords as the rythm guitar part or something like that.
I think Frank Gambale has stuff like that as well. But I'm not too familiar with his music
Reinima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

lots of nobuo's stuff uses arpeggios liberally that can be reinterpreted on a guitar for sweeping
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

lots of nobuo's stuff uses arpeggios liberally that can be reinterpreted on a guitar for sweeping

I said sweep arpeggios, not just arpeggios.

Even if you can hunt down a legitimate piece of music that features slow sweeps, It won't change what I said.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 06-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I don't know where you can find them but I disagree with sweep being only used for showing off your speed. It's another technique that is really handy for playing arpeggios at any speed.

It is true that sweeping is mostly used for playing fast arpeggios. But that's because it's not that hard to play fast arpeggios if you can sweep.

This is not that fast (it's 16th notes at c 120bpm). It's not how sweeping is typically used. I'm not saying the solo isn't hard to play but it doesn't sound like your typical nintendo sweeping.

(The solo starts at 3:27)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I don't know where you can find them

that should tell you something.

QUOTE=MaggaraMarine]
but I disagree with sweep being only used for showing off your speed. It's another technique that is really handy for playing arpeggios at any speed.[/QUOTE]

it's really not. They are great for playing fast, which is how and why people use them. People don't tend to use them for slower passages. You could for the sake of argument, but you couldn't play as articulate as you could with alternate picking.

Quote:
It is true that sweeping is mostly used for playing fast arpeggios. But that's because it's not that hard to play fast arpeggios if you can sweep.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
This is not that fast (it's 16th notes at c 120bpm). It's not how sweeping is typically used. I'm not saying the solo isn't hard to play but it doesn't sound like your typical nintendo sweeping.

(The solo starts at 3:27)

it's not that fast, but it's fast enough where sweeps work out. and I would say that it is still showing off. Honestly that's the whole point of that genre. That's what people find appealing about it whether they realize it or not.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 06-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
that should tell you something.

it's really not. They are great for playing fast, which is how and why people use them. People don't tend to use them for slower passages. You could for the sake of argument, but you couldn't play as articulate as you could with alternate picking.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying.

it's not that fast, but it's fast enough where sweeps work out. and I would say that it is still showing off. Honestly that's the whole point of that genre. That's what people find appealing about it whether they realize it or not.

Sweeping is also about the sound - it sounds different than alternate picking. If you have an arpeggio that doesn't have notes played on the same string, it's just easier to use sweep picking (that's also called economy picking - your picking direction is determined by the direction you are going, I mean, if the next note is played on a thicker string, you play an upstroke - sweep picking is basically economy picking).

And telling that the genre is all about show off is just close minded. What I would consider showing off is playing really fast arpeggios without any sense of melody. The Megadeth solo is not what I would call showing off. IMO it's melodic and it's about more than just playing fast. Of course you could call any guitar solo showing off.

Also, the fact that I can't find sweeps used at lower speeds doesn't mean that kind of music doesn't exist. I don't really listen to music with sweep picking. That's not my style. And that's why it is hard to find examples. But that Megadeth song was a good example of using sweeps for something more interesting than just going arpeggios up and down at extremely fast speed.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 06-08-2014 at 09:36 AM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
reverb66

To me sweeping is simply a percussive thing. You completely lose the effect if it's done slowly.

OP - if you want a good arpeggio/picking workout song - check out Steve Morses' Tumeni Notes from the album High tension Wires. It's not sweeping, but it's a good standalone tune for technique purposes.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: