Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Are you able to transcribe your own musical ideas?
Yes 30 83.33%
No 2 5.56%
WTF, how on Earth do I do that? 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Unreal T

Are you able to transcribe your musical ideas?

When you come up with a "lick, riff, " or some sort of musical idea, are you able to notate it rhythmically?
Unreal T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
supersac

yeah thats sort of the point of being able to write music to write it down

some ideas are more difficult and need to be played or worked out but for the most part yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

yes.

why do you ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
Unreal T

Just out of curiosity. It is interesting how people can play well and claim to not know much about how music works. Though I doubt the really good and fast players do not understand rhythmic notation.
Unreal T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
Br0c00ler

Sometimes you have to mess around for a bit, but for the most part you do need to know how to transcribe unless you want to just copy/paste riffs from a guitar book
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Br0c00ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Some people don't read rhythms so they can't write rhythms on paper. But they do understand rhythms. They know where the beat is and all that. They just don't know all the theoretical terms.

Of course you can come up with your own rhythms without knowing the notation.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 06-08-2014 at 08:46 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

I usually can. Sometimes if I wrote something that needs a lot of dotted or tied notes I'll have to experiment in guitar pro a little bit to figure out what the hell I'm playing, but most of the time the way I write it out first is right or very close. Even still, I'm not confident enough in my abilities to just write something on a piece of paper and know it's right unless it's something pretty simple. I just haven't practiced reading standard notation enough.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Some people don't read rhythms so they can't write rhythms on paper. But they do understand rhythms. They know where the beat is and all that. They just don't know all the theoretical terms.

Of course you can come up with your own rhythms without knowing the notation.

Yeah. I mean like most of this stuff, the theory came second to explain what people were more or less already doing, not the other way round.

I can do the more simple rhythms, but there's plenty of stuff where I'd have to sit down and think about it (or cheat and look up something with a similar rhythm) to be sure.

With a lot of the bluesier/rockier lead type stuff (citation needed ) it's kind of an approximation anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
bassalloverthe

Music from Ghana is some of the most rhythmically complex music I know of, with entire pieces being more or less complex poly rhythms. Its a completely oral tradition, notated only by western musicians who sought the music out for the specific purpose of recording and transcribing it.

Personally, I consider my ability to transcribe one of my greatest assets
bassalloverthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Elintasokas
Registered Wild Boar

Nope, but it doesn't even matter. Nowadays any notation software can play the notes so I just go by trial & error. lol. I can transcribe simple rhythms, but that's about it.

I don't usually even need to transcribe my own stuff, though. I just record everything straight into a DAW. Notating it first would just slow me down.

Last edited by Elintasokas : 06-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Elintasokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #11
austhrax

Appreciate people that can but I prefer to record any new ideas straight away so I don't forget them,would take along time to write it down even using a program to help,only necessary for composers/orchestra type stuff where it needs to be done,I'd rather b jamming tunes
austhrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
rootsofmy

Barely know music theory, play loads of stuff with some piece that make even "knowing" people scratch their heads.
Sometimes you just have to feel it.
rootsofmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
jhalterman
Master Baiter

I'm a beginner that's starting over to relearn anything I screwed up. In short, if I think of a neat musical idea, I'm not able to immediately start noodling because by the time I figure it out on guitar or piano, I've forgotten most of it or it's gone through a change or two I possibly don't like.

Humming it into my phone's recorder? Beyond useful for me.

EDIT: For instance, I've been on this recent string of licks and riffs in 5/4 and 6/8 time. It's a little funny considering they aren't something I come across too much in the music I listen to, but I guess I really like them

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route

Last edited by jhalterman : 06-09-2014 at 03:49 PM.
jhalterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal T
Just out of curiosity. It is interesting how people can play well and claim to not know much about how music works. Though I doubt the really good and fast players do not understand rhythmic notation.

being able to utilize rhythm and being able to understand it when written are two separate skill sets. frankly, they'd be almost unrelated if they weren't tied together by the notion that they are both related to rhythm.

it very much depends on the style. if you want to play rock or metal you don't really need the ability to transcribe (although it obviously can't hurt). you're pretty much ****ed as far as jazz or more complex styles go if you can't transcribe, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsofmy
Barely know music theory, play loads of stuff with some piece that make even "knowing" people scratch their heads.

these "knowing" people you're talking about are merely developing their skills then. if there is a rhythm in any way shape or form it is possible to notate it. the same goes along the lines of music theory.

you should ALWAYS be able to feel it -- it is not a matter of the feasibility of notation. that's a very self-defeating dichotomy you're thinking in.
Quote:
i smell a theme.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

I would argue that, in order to correctly transcribe anything, you HAVE to be able to feel it.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Good point. Probably, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
it very much depends on the style. if you want to play rock or metal you don't really need the ability to transcribe (although it obviously can't hurt).

Yeah- that's what I sort of want to clarify whenever I say about "not needing" something (which is theory-related). I don't mean that that means you shouldn't learn it if you can be bothered (as you said, "it can't hurt"), but some people act like if you say "you don't need it", that means you're saying "so don't bother learning it", and that's not the same thing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #17
rootsofmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
these "knowing" people you're talking about are merely developing their skills then. if there is a rhythm in any way shape or form it is possible to notate it. the same goes along the lines of music theory.

you should ALWAYS be able to feel it -- it is not a matter of the feasibility of notation. that's a very self-defeating dichotomy you're thinking in.

I'd say that I just like to play something they aren't really in. Not their cup, you know.

And yes, of "know but don't feel" and "feel but don't know" I'd rather be in a second part. You can learn theory, train your ears and fingers, but without the feeling - what's the reason? It's compassion that drives.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #18
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
I'd say that I just like to play something they aren't really in. Not their cup, you know.

And yes, of "know but don't feel" and "feel but don't know" I'd rather be in a second part. You can learn theory, train your ears and fingers, but without the feeling - what's the reason? It's compassion that drives.

ah, but i can do both. see, that's the problem -- you think it has to be one or the other, or that you "like to play something that isn't their cup of tea" or some such nonsense. there is way more to it than mere compassion. if that were the case every tom, dick, and harry would be able to do it. and there is nothing of merit in being able to do what everyone is immediately capable of (unless you want to give me a trophy for breathing, of course).

you can say whatever you want, but it's absolutely not true -- so don't be surprised when other people disagree with you and can utilize logical arguments against whatever opinion you assert.

i'll say it again, just to drive the point home. that's a very self-defeating dichotomy you're thinking in.
Quote:
i smell a theme.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #19
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

^
Why can't you have both feeling AND knowing? The only reason I see to not have the knowing is pure and simple laziness.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #20
rootsofmy

FML. Why do people tend to NOT see "if", "I'd rather" and all that?
I keep saying that of those two feeling is MORE important, but isn't the only thing to get while playing. Bloody A.

Rate This Thread: