Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Metalguy5784
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Sabaton's Heroes. Amazing! Best metal release since Master Of Puppets.

Im 29 years old and I was first introduced to metal by my neighbor at age 13 when he let me borrow Master Of Puppets. I will never forget the goosebumps I got from hearing such a perfect Metal album from start to finish when I first heard Master Of Puppets. Im not a Metallica fanboy but if your a metal fan, you will be hard pressed to find a Metal album on the same level of Puppets.

I can honestly say that while there have been some amazing metal albums to come out over the years from various artists, I never quite got that same feeling as I did that day from a album.. Until the other week when I discovered Sabaton and heard Heroes.

Its almost unreal how good and powerful this album is, instant classic and masterpiece is a good start. I might catch some flak for saying this but I put it right up there at the pinnacle of metal albums. Powerslave, Seasons In the Abyss, Rust In Peace, Master Of Puppets. Heroes is on that same level in my opinion.
Metalguy5784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
My perception of Sabaton will always be biased because my introduction to them was that Gutter Ballet wannabe song.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BodÝ, Norway
You really need to listen to more metal if you think metal fans are hard pressed to find something on the same level as MoP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
lol
Ironic Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
 
Helloween4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I Want Out from Where the Rain Grows
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
My perception of Sabaton will always be biased because my introduction to them was that Gutter Ballet wannabe song.

or the I Want Out wannabe song. hahaha
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Wanting to know measurements from men's pants to women's pants is a surefire sign of a transsexual serial killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
A creamy guinness from a proper shitty old man bar will save your life, but a bad one from a nightclub will destroy your arsehole.

lfm
Helloween4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Ziggy V
Kvlt Drvnk
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
So after 16 years of being in to metal, you still hold Metallica as the be all, end all of metal? You need to level up.
__________________
My webzine: http://witchingmetal.blogspot.com.au/
Ziggy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Do yourself a favor please; check out the first few posts of the rec thread. Yes, MoP is good. But the "best of" in each genre category are probably better.

Metal Rec Thread
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Metalguy5784
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy V
So after 16 years of being in to metal, you still hold Metallica as the be all, end all of metal? You need to level up.


As a band no, Metallica is pretty much a shell of their former selves, but there is no denying that puppets and justice are the holy grail of metal (among other albums). Im more of a Megadeth guy myself, Endgame is probably some of the best megadeth along with Rust, Countdown and united abominations

Last edited by Metalguy5784 : 06-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Metalguy5784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Ziggy V
Kvlt Drvnk
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Are you sure you're not still 13?
__________________
My webzine: http://witchingmetal.blogspot.com.au/
Ziggy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Master of Puppets is a damn good album. Obviously not everyone is going to hold it in similar esteem as the op, but anyone denying its creativity and influence is wrong, and there really is very little metal of its time, no matter how deep you dive into the underground, that can compete with it on those grounds.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
No but underground/semi-underground/non-mainstream album/band/ep/demo that was released in the same year as popular metal album is FAR better!

You guys are false and gay.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I'm having dejavu
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I'm having dejavu
Ironic Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #14
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Ironic Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #15
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BodÝ, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
Master of Puppets is a damn good album. Obviously not everyone is going to hold it in similar esteem as the op, but anyone denying its creativity and influence is wrong, and there really is very little metal of its time, no matter how deep you dive into the underground, that can compete with it on those grounds.


Metallica-Master of Puppets 1986

Hmm...

Slayer-Show no Mercy 1983
Slayer-Hell Awaits 1985
Death-Scream Bloody Gore 1987
Coroner-R.I.P. 1987
Dark Angel-Darkness Descends 1986
Bathory-S/T 1984
Bathory-The Return 1985
Celtic Frost-1984
Celtic Frost-To Mega Therion 1985
Hellhammer-Apocalyptic Raids 1984
Kreator-Endless Pain 1985
Kreator-Pleasure to kill 1986
Sodom-In the Sign of Evil 1984
Sodom-Obsessed by Cruelty 1986
Exodus-Bonded by Blood 1985
Sepultura-Schizophrenia 1987
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness 1989
Possessed-Seven Churches 1985
Candlemass-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 1986
Manilla Road-Pick an album up to 1986


MoP is a good album. I don't love it as much as I did when I was 14, but to say that it is in a league of its own at the time is just silly. It is definitely influential, and if this is your only criterion for being good, then consider all the pop artists Justin Bieber influences.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #16
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
OP after 16 years you would think that you would have found some good stuff besides Metallica Ziggy is right you need to level the **** up.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #17
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virtuoso
Metallica-Master of Puppets 1986

Hmm...

Slayer-Show no Mercy 1983
Slayer-Hell Awaits 1985
Death-Scream Bloody Gore 1987
Coroner-R.I.P. 1987
Dark Angel-Darkness Descends 1986
Bathory-S/T 1984
Bathory-The Return 1985
Celtic Frost-1984
Celtic Frost-To Mega Therion 1985
Hellhammer-Apocalyptic Raids 1984
Kreator-Endless Pain 1985
Kreator-Pleasure to kill 1986
Sodom-In the Sign of Evil 1984
Sodom-Obsessed by Cruelty 1986
Exodus-Bonded by Blood 1985
Sepultura-Schizophrenia 1987
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness 1989
Possessed-Seven Churches 1985
Candlemass-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 1986
Manilla Road-Pick an album up to 1986


MoP is a good album. I don't love it as much as I did when I was 14, but to say that it is in a league of its own at the time is just silly. It is definitely influential, and if this is your only criterion for being good, then consider all the pop artists Justin Bieber influences.


A number of them were fairly unimportant and certainly not nearly as broad in scope as Master of Puppets. Darkness Descends? Excellent album but at best it was just one step in extremity ahead of Slayer. Endless Pain? Dated even for 1985, Petrozza's vocals being the only notable element. RIP? Cool album but again not particularly significant, even in the niche realm of tech-thrash. Schizophrenia? At least pick their earliest death metal material, not their first step towards American thrash. Manilla Road? Basically inconsequential and with some incredibly poor songwriting.

Of course, Puppets didn't kickstart an entire extreme metal movement like Slayer and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost did, so under certain contexts I can definitely admit that it is overrated, but when you look at posters above and some of the albums on that "Best Of Thrash" list, it's just silly underdog-fellating.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #18
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BodÝ, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
A number of them were fairly unimportant and certainly not nearly as broad in scope as Master of Puppets. Darkness Descends? Excellent album but at best it was just one step in extremity ahead of Slayer. Endless Pain? Dated even for 1985, Petrozza's vocals being the only notable element. RIP? Cool album but again not particularly significant, even in the niche realm of tech-thrash. Schizophrenia? At least pick their earliest death metal material, not their first step towards American thrash. Manilla Road? Basically inconsequential and with some incredibly poor songwriting.

Of course, Puppets didn't kickstart an entire extreme metal movement like Slayer and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost did, so under certain contexts I can definitely admit that it is overrated, but when you look at posters above and some of the albums on that "Best Of Thrash" list, it's just silly underdog-fellating.


Are we talking importance or quality? What do you mean by broad in scope? I suppose we could ask ourselves, "what would metal be like today if MoP had not been released?" I don't think we will ever have a satisfactory answer to this question, but I'm guessing we would still have more or less the same quality releases over the years; although, MoP is one of those albums that straddles the line between mainstream and underground, which makes it a good entrance into other genres of metal.

But Hamburger, LOST IN NECROPOLIS!!!!!!

I'm not going to hate on Metallica, although I do hate people who think MoP is the pinnacle of metal; nonetheless, give me No More Color or By Inheritance any day over MoP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
 
Kepulix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Far far away, beyond might of day
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
Manilla Road? Basically inconsequential and with some incredibly poor songwriting.
Preposterous heresy.
__________________
Iím not the man I used to be, I... I canít go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyardís mouldering stones I recognise a name Ė my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
A number of them were fairly unimportant and certainly not nearly as broad in scope as Master of Puppets.

Wow...
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.