Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #41
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy-c
Who gives a shit about what OP had to say? I thought we had moved on.

EDIT: ^ Are Metallica not pretty much everyone's gateway to Slayer though?

My gateway into Thrash was Megadeth honestly.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #42
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy-c
EDIT: ^ Are Metallica not pretty much everyone's gateway to Slayer though?


Anyone who knows Metallica knows Slayer because they are contemporaries of one another from the same scene. In the '80's people would have equal knowledge of them and after the '80's Metallica may have more mainstream appeal, but the metal bands that laud them around as a major influence are, usually, terrible to mediocre. Slayer, on the other hand, have influenced all forms of extreme metal in a big way.

I, also, would like to make it clear that I'm talking from a purely metal perspective and about the MoP era.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep







Last edited by Morphogenesis26 : 06-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #43
Metalguy5784
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
The point I was trying to make is Sabaton's Heroes is so good that I put up there with the generally accepted "best of the best" when it comes to Metal albums. Albums that will stand the test of time. Albums like Rust, Seasons in the abyss, MoP, Powerslave. I put Heroes on that same level.

To put it in sports terms. Say I think MoP was Michael Jordan in his prime, sure there have been many great players since him. Hes a once in a generation player. I was simply saying that Heroes is such a good, cohesive and powerful album, it could be a generational classic that could take years or even decades for another metal album to come out like it.

Heroes is one of those trasures that only come out every 10-20 years and will go down as a masterpeice. Thats my opinion of the album. I really havent got such a rush of a feeling from a metal album quite like Heroes. Especially while driving.

Last edited by Metalguy5784 : 06-09-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Metalguy5784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #44
kirkisking
I'm always drunk
 
kirkisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In Icethin Lucid Airs
lol, classic metal forum
__________________
My Last.FM page. Add me!
kirkisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #45
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
 
Emenius Sleepus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Черный пес Петербург
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkisking
lol, classic metal forum


at least you can rely on its consistency
__________________
[i]
"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #46
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
 
Scourge441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
It might be worth pointing out that there are two different posters really advocating for MoP here. Dunno if people noticed that the OP is not the same person who called Manilla Road "inconsequential."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalguy5784
The point I was trying to make is Sabaton's Heroes is so good that I put up there with the generally accepted "best of the best" when it comes to Metal albums. Albums that will stand the test of time. Albums like Rust, Seasons in the abyss, MoP, Powerslave. I put Heroes on that same level.

To put it in sports terms. Say I think MoP was Michael Jordan in his prime, sure there have been many great players since him. Hes a once in a generation player. I was simply saying that Heroes is such a good, cohesive and powerful album, it could be a generational classic that could take years or even decades for another metal album to come out like it.

Heroes is one of those trasures that only come out every 10-20 years and will go down as a masterpeice. Thats my opinion of the album. I really havent got such a rush of a feeling from a metal album quite like Heroes. Especially while driving.

IMO there are better power metal albums that have come out in the past few years. Bury the Light by Pharaoh, The Burden of God by Nightmare, Another Night by High Spirits, Noble Beast's debut etc.
__________________
THUNDERFORGE: Power metal from western Massachusetts | Bandcamp | Twitter
ECHOES AND DUST: Where I cover a variety of music, both heavy and not | My writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #47
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
For the record - going down as saying MoP is bad/boring/prole music with the exception of Orion. If the whole album had the quality And consistency of Orion it would certainly be one the greatest albums in metal.

Sadly, that is not the case.
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #48
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
^
It was one of my first metal records, honestly. But I very quickly grew out of it, once I discovered prog metal. Which was a year after I got into metal.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #49
deadsmileyface
Banned
 
deadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: the hollowed out chest of a dead horse
Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
For the record - going down as saying MoP is bad/boring/prole music with the exception of Orion. If the whole album had the quality And consistency of Orion it would certainly be one the greatest albums in metal.

Sadly, that is not the case.


i concur, Kill em All is the only good Metallica album
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #50
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
You're really using popularity as a criteria for judging these releases? You're basically arguing that Master of Puppets is the be-all-end-all of the genre because it's famous and hordes of crap bands like FFDP and Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold sing its praises, while highly creative and original albums like Awaken the Guardian or Crimson Glory's self-titled (both of which were released around the same time) are on a lower level simply because they didn't get the exposure or because there are less people capable of emulating them. Otherwise you wouldn't be arguing that Manilla Road are "inconsequential" in the face of the wide swath of bands that cite them as an influence and the respect that their recent releases get (something that has eluded Metallica for going on 30 years).

I love Master of Puppets, but you are wildly overstating how "creative" it actually is. Thrash - and heavy metal in general - was already well beyond that point when it came out, and negating the work of bands that actually pushed boundaries because they didn't reach as many people is juvenile. The only thing on Master of Puppets that I would consider truly unique is Orion - the rest is well-written, sure, but in what ways did Battery or Leper Messiah really change the game for thrash metal or the genre as a whole?


Not popularity. I don't care about how many 13 year olds first picked up a guitar and decided to upload videos of themselves playing the title track. I'm talking about its ability to introduce new sounds and ideas, some of which were copied well after its initial release. Nearly every song on the album is notably different from any other on it. Because I overplayed it so heavily at an early age I used to put it down a bit in favor of more underground thrash, but when I returned to it I was surprised at how much I was hearing that suddenly sounded way ahead of its time. It isn't just a FFDP or a Def Leppard or some other flash-in-the-pan metal-rape. It probably wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is were it not for the Black Album in the first place (not that it wasn't already selling a lot of copies anyways, of course). It's a genuinely excellent album, and while it may be "first level"/introductory to a lot of people (out of all the metal CDs in my dad's collection, it was hearing Battery and the title track that really got me interested in metal, and it's not like those were the songs playing on the radio either), but it manages to be a vital album in spite of its popularity.

I don't know any songs like Disposable Heroes at its time. It stripped the thrash riff down to nothing more than a one-note syncopated chug, yet with that it added shifty pacing that I can't compare to anything else at its time. Damage Inc was similarly choppy yet at its speed comes of as closer to the kind of riffing you'd find in a 90s post-thrash band like The Haunted (or at least the thrash that led to it, such as Believer). The Thing That Should Not Be is ridiculously dark and heavy, and again I don't know any song of its time that did quite the same thing. And although the solo is brief, that brief flash of dissonance is the kind of thing death metal wouldn't pick up on for years (see: Harmony Corruption).
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #51
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
fwiw I can totally accept Hear Nothing... as a more important album as well, in addition to Slayer and other early extreme metal acts as I've admitted.

Also, no way in hell does the Crimson Glory S/T compare to Master of Puppets. Great album, but in what way was it *that* important? Unlike Transcendence it isn't remotely progressive, power metal had already been taken further by Fates Warning and Queensryche, and the best song on the album isn't even metal to begin with (Lost Reflection). Its popularity to the world at large is irrelevant to my point, but its influence on metal writing is what I'm talking about. To give an example, I consider Watchtower to be easily one of the most important bands to the development of metal on a whole, directly influencing virtually every progressive and technical metal band up into the early 90s, yet Energetic Disassembly had to be released on their own label because the masses weren't ready for intense, intricate progressive metal. That's what I'm talking about when I say influence. No Crimson Glory, no Sabbat, no Holy Terror, no Virgin Steele can touch that.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #52
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
Except...you know, without Metallica...the musical landscape of metal would probably still be the same...

That's not to say I don't enjoy Metallica now and again. I'm just saying, your argument is flawed and ignores all the other bands brought up. (See post #15 again.)
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #53
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Did anyone actually listen to the album Heroes? I did its shit.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #54
HamburgerBoy
Registered User
 
HamburgerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Except...you know, without Metallica...the musical landscape of metal would probably still be the same...

That's not to say I don't enjoy Metallica now and again. I'm just saying, your argument is flawed and ignores all the other bands brought up. (See post #15 again.)


Elaborate on how metal would be unchanged if one of the pioneering acts of thrash metal, whose works have been cited as influential across many metal styles and sub-genres, didn't exist plz.

I already replied to #15. If you think Dark Angel would even exist without Metallica's involvement in making California a hotspot for thrash metal, you're quite silly. Slayer played what was basically USPM when Metallica was getting thrashy. If you read any of the earliest metal zines, it will be obvious how important Kill 'Em All and their demos were to the underground metal scenes. I'm not trying to discredit any of the bands that went on to push heavy metal even further, but the historical revisionism shown by some of you is "next level".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virtuoso
I'm not going to hate on Metallica, although I do hate people who think MoP is the pinnacle of metal; nonetheless, give me No More Color or By Inheritance any day over MoP.


fwiw I enjoy By Inheritance and No More Color more than Master of Puppets as well, although you can't deny that By Inheritance comes from the Metallica-wing of thrash metal.

Last edited by HamburgerBoy : 06-10-2014 at 03:45 AM.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #55
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene
 
BL1NDSIDE-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
Elaborate on how metal would be unchanged if one of the pioneering acts of thrash metal, whose works have been cited as influential across many metal styles and sub-genres, didn't exist plz.

I already replied to #15. If you think Dark Angel would even exist without Metallica's involvement in making California a hotspot for thrash metal, you're quite silly. Slayer played what was basically USPM when Metallica was getting thrashy. If you read any of the earliest metal zines, it will be obvious how important Kill 'Em All and their demos were to the underground metal scenes. I'm not trying to discredit any of the bands that went on to push heavy metal even further, but the historical revisionism shown by some of you is "next level".


You said Bathory wasn't metal, therefore your opinion is no longer valid because you are a false. See your way out of the metal forum.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 06-10-2014 at 03:50 AM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #56
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Except...you know, without Metallica...the musical landscape of metal would probably still be the same... (See post #15 again.)


The hell? They're sort of the reason why Slayer got faster and heavier.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #57
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BodÝ, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
Elaborate on how metal would be unchanged if one of the pioneering acts of thrash metal, whose works have been cited as influential across many metal styles and sub-genres, didn't exist plz.

I already replied to #15. If you think Dark Angel would even exist without Metallica's involvement in making California a hotspot for thrash metal, you're quite silly. Slayer played what was basically USPM when Metallica was getting thrashy. If you read any of the earliest metal zines, it will be obvious how important Kill 'Em All and their demos were to the underground metal scenes. I'm not trying to discredit any of the bands that went on to push heavy metal even further, but the historical revisionism shown by some of you is "next level".



fwiw I enjoy By Inheritance and No More Color more than Master of Puppets as well, although you can't deny that By Inheritance comes from the Metallica-wing of thrash metal.


There's no denying Metallica's importance as a band during the Kill 'Em All days, but I wonder how much would be changed if MoP had never been released? I think at that point in time other bands were already forming their own voices and releasing some of their best work. Most of the bands I've seen who cite MoP as an influence are more of the mainstream, poppy metal bands like Trivium.

If you would, trace the influence MoP has had on metal. What exactly did it contribute that Metallica had not already done on No Life 'Til Leather, Kill 'Em All, and perhaps Ride the Lightning?

Also, By Inheritance traced to Metallica? How?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #58
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
The hell? They're sort of the reason why Slayer got faster and heavier.

Well...you're right.

But, referring specifically to MoP...what did that album change as far as Thrash? Slayer was already quite heavy and fast by '86 and were quite comfortable with their blasphemous lyrical content and so on. Reign in Blood came out that year, and we all know the influence that album had.
Using another band as an example: Kreator were coming into their own. They released Pleasure to Kill in the same year, and that's an album that some of the Death Metal or Black Metal bands cite as an influence.


MoP just wasn't a gamechanger in 1986. Sure, Kill 'Em All upped the ante. Even Ride the Lightning could be said to have influence. But MoP? I just don't see it... Good album? Yes. Gamechanger? No.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #59
bdof
Registered User
 
bdof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Sabaton's Heroes really made me cringe while listening to it. I'm sure it's a Metal elitist's wet dream and all, but I have a hard time listening to that stuff seriously once you compare it to MoP.

I've only been into Metal since I was about 22 (almost 30 now), and I still happen to think MoP is fantastic. It certainly influenced most bands for the next decade what a Metal album should sound like. It's title track also is considered by many to be the "Stairway to Heaven" of Heavy/Thrash Metal. Say all you want about there being better Long metal songs, as there definitely is, but nothing was more influential than MoP the song since War Pigs
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #60
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Well...you're right.


:3 yay
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.