Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Bocob

Recording with an Interface vs Rocksmith Cable.

So we're about to start recording an album and the one thing we're tossing up before we go in to do it is whether we want to record the guitars through an interface, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, or just a Rocksmith cable.

We have used the Rocksmith cable for the majority of the pre-production work and have found it to be great. The reason why we haven't used the Scarlet is due to the working laptop not recognizing the usb device. The signal we get from the Rocksmith sounds great, we haven't been able to fault it, but I'm just wanting some more perspective on the matter, whether people have done the same method and had different results etc.

So what's your experiences recording between the two different methods? Any story is a good story.
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
guitarpro2play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocob
So we're about to start recording an album and the one thing we're tossing up before we go in to do it is whether we want to record the guitars through an interface, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, or just a Rocksmith cable.

We have used the Rocksmith cable for the majority of the pre-production work and have found it to be great. The reason why we haven't used the Scarlet is due to the working laptop not recognizing the usb device. The signal we get from the Rocksmith sounds great, we haven't been able to fault it, but I'm just wanting some more perspective on the matter, whether people have done the same method and had different results etc.

So what's your experiences recording between the two different methods? Any story is a good story.

No way you'll get a better sound with just a cable, than with an interface. And as far as I know, scarlet interfaces are pretty good!
guitarpro2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you can't get your interface working, ask for help.

Seriously, anything you do with the rocksmith cable will be terrible in comparison to what you can do with a proper interface.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

The rocksmith cable is an audio interface.
Of modest quality indeed, but so are the pre's and converters in any scarlett.

If you already have the scarlett try and find drivers that work.
If you don't have that already and you only need to track direct guitar, stick to that.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #5
Bocob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
The rocksmith cable is an audio interface.
Of modest quality indeed, but so are the pre's and converters in any scarlett.

If you already have the scarlett try and find drivers that work.
If you don't have that already and you only need to track direct guitar, stick to that.

That's right, the Rocksmith cable already has a built in interface. So for guitars/bass would you say that it's not too different in terms of quality? Because going direct would be our method of recording them.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ unless you go for really good stuff, say an apogee one or duet, guitars processed with amp modelers and all these funny effects will not noticeably improve in sound.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Bocob

Quote:
^ unless you go for really good stuff, say an apogee one or duet, guitars processed with amp modelers and all these funny effects will not noticeably improve in sound.

Right on, so what we'll be doing is recording for the sake of getting a clean signal and then re-amping the guitars once the takes are right, so in that case will it really matter too much?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Just about the same as before in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Bocob

Quote:
Just about the same as before in my opinion.

Awesome! Thanks so much for your advice.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Though, wait, you need a re amping box to reamp a guitar.

Some people say using the line out from an interface works just fine but my experience tells me otherwise.
My audio interface sucks though so that may be the problem.

Also if you want to record reamped guitars you'll also need a mic, a mic stand and an audio interface that has a mic input, so you'll need one if you don't have it already.

The best thing that does everything of these things (apart from the reamping, but again maybe you'll be able to use the interface and get nice results) is, imo, the mackie onyx blackjack for the money.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
Bocob

Quote:
Though, wait, you need a re amping box to reamp a guitar.

Some people say using the line out from an interface works just fine but my experience tells me otherwise.
My audio interface sucks though so that may be the problem.

Also if you want to record reamped guitars you'll also need a mic, a mic stand and an audio interface that has a mic input, so you'll need one if you don't have it already.

The best thing that does everything of these things (apart from the reamping, but again maybe you'll be able to use the interface and get nice results) is, imo, the mackie onyx blackjack for the money.

Thanks for the heads up! However, our friend who is a bit of an audio engineer is the guy who will be re-amping our tracks. He has done it in the past with great results, though I don't remember the kind of interface he used on it. Check this out, this is using the same method of re-amping, recorded about a year ago. http://awakenedinferno.bandcamp.com/

But either way, this is a good heads up for when/if we want to head towards doing that side of recording ourselves.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
mayhemguitars12

Are you having any latency problems with the Rocksmith, I tried mine the other day and I couldn't get rid of the latency in Reaper. I tried about everything any tips?
mayhemguitars12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
From Your Grave
Registred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemguitars12
Are you having any latency problems with the Rocksmith, I tried mine the other day and I couldn't get rid of the latency in Reaper. I tried about everything any tips?

If you do not have ASIO4ALL, download and install it. Then change the settings of it so that it's working with the rocksmith cable. If you have it already then I do not know
From Your Grave is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: