Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Bocob
Registered User
 
Bocob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home
Recording with an Interface vs Rocksmith Cable.

So we're about to start recording an album and the one thing we're tossing up before we go in to do it is whether we want to record the guitars through an interface, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, or just a Rocksmith cable.

We have used the Rocksmith cable for the majority of the pre-production work and have found it to be great. The reason why we haven't used the Scarlet is due to the working laptop not recognizing the usb device. The signal we get from the Rocksmith sounds great, we haven't been able to fault it, but I'm just wanting some more perspective on the matter, whether people have done the same method and had different results etc.

So what's your experiences recording between the two different methods? Any story is a good story.
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
guitarpro2play
Registered User
 
guitarpro2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocob
So we're about to start recording an album and the one thing we're tossing up before we go in to do it is whether we want to record the guitars through an interface, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, or just a Rocksmith cable.

We have used the Rocksmith cable for the majority of the pre-production work and have found it to be great. The reason why we haven't used the Scarlet is due to the working laptop not recognizing the usb device. The signal we get from the Rocksmith sounds great, we haven't been able to fault it, but I'm just wanting some more perspective on the matter, whether people have done the same method and had different results etc.

So what's your experiences recording between the two different methods? Any story is a good story.


No way you'll get a better sound with just a cable, than with an interface. And as far as I know, scarlet interfaces are pretty good!
guitarpro2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
If you can't get your interface working, ask for help.

Seriously, anything you do with the rocksmith cable will be terrible in comparison to what you can do with a proper interface.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
The rocksmith cable is an audio interface.
Of modest quality indeed, but so are the pre's and converters in any scarlett.

If you already have the scarlett try and find drivers that work.
If you don't have that already and you only need to track direct guitar, stick to that.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #5
Bocob
Registered User
 
Bocob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
The rocksmith cable is an audio interface.
Of modest quality indeed, but so are the pre's and converters in any scarlett.

If you already have the scarlett try and find drivers that work.
If you don't have that already and you only need to track direct guitar, stick to that.

That's right, the Rocksmith cable already has a built in interface. So for guitars/bass would you say that it's not too different in terms of quality? Because going direct would be our method of recording them.
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
^ unless you go for really good stuff, say an apogee one or duet, guitars processed with amp modelers and all these funny effects will not noticeably improve in sound.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Bocob
Registered User
 
Bocob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
^ unless you go for really good stuff, say an apogee one or duet, guitars processed with amp modelers and all these funny effects will not noticeably improve in sound.

Right on, so what we'll be doing is recording for the sake of getting a clean signal and then re-amping the guitars once the takes are right, so in that case will it really matter too much?
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Just about the same as before in my opinion.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Bocob
Registered User
 
Bocob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Just about the same as before in my opinion.

Awesome! Thanks so much for your advice.
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Though, wait, you need a re amping box to reamp a guitar.

Some people say using the line out from an interface works just fine but my experience tells me otherwise.
My audio interface sucks though so that may be the problem.

Also if you want to record reamped guitars you'll also need a mic, a mic stand and an audio interface that has a mic input, so you'll need one if you don't have it already.

The best thing that does everything of these things (apart from the reamping, but again maybe you'll be able to use the interface and get nice results) is, imo, the mackie onyx blackjack for the money.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
Bocob
Registered User
 
Bocob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Though, wait, you need a re amping box to reamp a guitar.

Some people say using the line out from an interface works just fine but my experience tells me otherwise.
My audio interface sucks though so that may be the problem.

Also if you want to record reamped guitars you'll also need a mic, a mic stand and an audio interface that has a mic input, so you'll need one if you don't have it already.

The best thing that does everything of these things (apart from the reamping, but again maybe you'll be able to use the interface and get nice results) is, imo, the mackie onyx blackjack for the money.

Thanks for the heads up! However, our friend who is a bit of an audio engineer is the guy who will be re-amping our tracks. He has done it in the past with great results, though I don't remember the kind of interface he used on it. Check this out, this is using the same method of re-amping, recorded about a year ago. http://awakenedinferno.bandcamp.com/

But either way, this is a good heads up for when/if we want to head towards doing that side of recording ourselves.
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
mayhemguitars12
Registered User
 
mayhemguitars12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Are you having any latency problems with the Rocksmith, I tried mine the other day and I couldn't get rid of the latency in Reaper. I tried about everything any tips?
mayhemguitars12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
From Your Grave
Registred User
 
From Your Grave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemguitars12
Are you having any latency problems with the Rocksmith, I tried mine the other day and I couldn't get rid of the latency in Reaper. I tried about everything any tips?


If you do not have ASIO4ALL, download and install it. Then change the settings of it so that it's working with the rocksmith cable. If you have it already then I do not know
From Your Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.