Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
SexOnStrings

index finger jumping

hey guys, its my first time posting and i was hoping someone could help me with this. getting straight to it: i was wondering if its bad or accepted that your index finger jumps while playing lead. When i play , for instance, on the open b string, the notes, f# g g# a as warmup practice, i can play down easy no problem but when i go up the frets my fingers seem to jump. especially the index. i have seen many leads played by guitar players and i have noticed, the index remains firmly planted whereas mine keeps jumping. i face the same problem going up and down the strings playing the same four note exercises. i was wondering if any of you has faced the same issue. any tips and suggestions will be gratefully welcomed. thank you.
SexOnStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Anon17

You'll want your fingers to stay as near as possible to the strings when you play.

It sounds like you aren't keeping your hands relaxed when you are fretting notes, which causes your fingers to move a lot more than they need to. Try practicing very, very slowly and focus on keeping your hands (and whole body) relaxed while moving your fingers the minimum amount you need to.

This will feel awkward and difficult at first but it will make playing the guitar so much easier once you get used to it.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
SexOnStrings

thanks for replying. though everything you suggested apart from being relaxed i sorta figured already, not saying you weren't helpful. you were.

another thing, what do you suggest when doing legato exercises. how should i play down the strings when , say, my pinkie ends on a note and its time to move down the string and place the index on the next note on the string below. do i do a barre chord sorta thing where my index is already placed on the note before i move down the string or maybe do a hammer on after the pinkie leaves the last note on the above string.

hope that makes sense.
SexOnStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Anon17

Ideally you want to place the index finger on the string as you remove the pinky from the other string.

If you're playing a single voice (i.e. not playing chords or harmony, for example if you are playing a lead lick or solo or something) then you want only one finger on the string at once as this minimises tension.

If you are doing something like trilling, then most players tend to leave the base (usually index) finger on the string while rapidly hammering on and pulling off to the other fret. This is one of the few cases where you play with a single voice and more than one finger on the string.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
sdjknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
Ideally you want to place the index finger on the string as you remove the pinky from the other string.

If you're playing a single voice (i.e. not playing chords or harmony, for example if you are playing a lead lick or solo or something) then you want only one finger on the string at once as this minimises tension.

If you are doing something like trilling, then most players tend to leave the base (usually index) finger on the string while rapidly hammering on and pulling off to the other fret. This is one of the few cases where you play with a single voice and more than one finger on the string.

I want to disagree with a small point here - its efficient to keep your fingers fretted if you intend to use them on that string soon. For example, if you were to play E, F, G, F, E on the B string, it wouldn't make sense to take off your index and middle fingers.

There are also times you might want them there ready for a slide, such as playing B (12th fret), C (13th fret), E, F on the B string, its worth leaving the index finger down to slide down to the E. I know this isn't the most common thing to encounter, but there are times when it can't be avoided.

Sorry to argue, but I didn't want him losing out on a good fingering because of that time he was told he should only do that whilst doing a trill
sdjknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
gtc83

I suppose it depends on what style of music you're into. I play blues and if I want to do a bend, I need my 1st and 2nd fingers to reinforce that bend, and if my 1st finger is resting on the string I'm playing, I'm ready to go instantly.

One the other hand I notice classical guitarists tend to only have one finger on a string at a time. They don't do bends and with fingerpicking you're playing a lot more multiple strings simultaneously in solos, and that classical vibrato doesn't really work if you've got more than one finger on a string either.
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjknights
I want to disagree with a small point here - its efficient to keep your fingers fretted if you intend to use them on that string soon. For example, if you were to play E, F, G, F, E on the B string, it wouldn't make sense to take off your index and middle fingers.

I see your logic but this isn't true.

By keeping the index and middle finger fretted, you are exerting force that you don't need to exert and this causes excess tension meaning you will not be able to play as efficiently.

In this situation you should keep your index and middle fingers resting on the string but not fretting a note, this way they are relaxed and still ready to fret again.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what style of music you're into. I play blues and if I want to do a bend, I need my 1st and 2nd fingers to reinforce that bend, and if my 1st finger is resting on the string I'm playing, I'm ready to go instantly.

Yeah just keep your fingers rested in this case, but don't actually exert any force with them until you are actually doing the bend (which is done with your wrist).
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
sdjknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
I see your logic but this isn't true.

By keeping the index and middle finger fretted, you are exerting force that you don't need to exert and this causes excess tension meaning you will not be able to play as efficiently.

In this situation you should keep your index and middle fingers resting on the string but not fretting a note, this way they are relaxed and still ready to fret again.

I see your point, and yes, I suppose that is what I actually do.
sdjknights is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: