Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
alfredocbejaran

will this upgrade will worth?

Hello everyone, I got a questiln about this pickups upgrade, I wanted a new bass because my Yamaha RBX170 is a noise machine at recording, I wanted to change it with a Ibanez SR300, but reading its specs, is kinda similar to the rbx, (both are passive), so an idea came to my mind, replace the Yamaha Stock pickups with the EMG HZ PJ set, but I dont know if that pickup change will immprove the bass sound, what do you think guys?
alfredocbejaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

The Ibanez is active. It has an active 3 band EQ in it.

Being noisy may not have to do with being passive. You may have some grounding or shielding problems. My Thunderbird is passive and it is not noisy at all (though it does have humbuckers in it - but if you use both pickups at the same time or your neck pickup alone, it should also be humbukcing). Try different power outlets and cables. Also try different amps. No bass should be noisy.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
The Ibanez is active. It has an active 3 band EQ in it.

Both basses have passive pickups though.

TS, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to EMG HZ's, they're EMG's passive line and are lackluster at best. They serve fine as stock pickups in some basses, but I wouldn't advocate anyone "upgrade" to them. Look to EMG if you're interested in active pickups, that's their bread and butter. If you're looking to upgrade to better passives look at Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, DiMarzio, companies known for having excellent lines of passive pickups.

What kind of noise issues are you having? Because it may be that a pickup upgrade won't solve your problem. Also consider that a pickup upgrade may well cost more than your Yamaha is worth, so you'll then have to decide if you want to hot-rod your current bass, or if it's more cost effective to just save and upgrade to a new bass.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ Good points.

I haven't come across a noisy bass. There's something wrong with your bass or other equipment.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
alfredocbejaran

Well, I found out what was the responsable of the noise, my desktop, my desktop is 100% made of pure aluminium, I noticed when I play near the desktop, the noise appears, when I get away from it, he noise reduces to the grade of dissapear, I still want to change the stock pickups though, so I will look forward some seymour duncan, Here in Mexico the only brand of basses Im capable to find are Yamaha,Ibanez and Cort (a few Schecter or LTD in one store) and them are expensives as f@ck, so I will start saving up for buying the Ibanez SR300 in MFT (green), I will hold on with this bass a few months, thanks!
alfredocbejaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Never, ever, under any circumstances install EMG HZ pickups in your bass!!! It is tantamount to bass rape!!!

Seriously, the HZ Series pickups from EMG are without a doubt the most lifeless, toneless, poorly balanced (between two pickups) bass pickups I have ever encountered. You can do so much better for the same money. Look at the offerings from Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle Pickups. They are worlds better than the passive EMGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: