Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Recording Issue - major noise

Hi,

I recently bought a Shure SM57 and it has totally destroyed my recording. I can't quite figure it what's wrong.

I'm plugging the mike into a GT 10 connected to the laptop via USB. I'm using audacity to record.

I've never had a noise issue with the GT 10/audacity set up and can't figure out the mike bit. Any thoughts?

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

hitman_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Ask in the recordings forum, you'll have better luck there.

*reported* for wrong forum.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

As in a Boss GT10? That's part of your problem - although it can be used to stream audio to a recording device, AFAIK it isn't really a proper interface in it's own right. Also, it doesn't actually have a mic input, which should tell you it's not designed for what you're using it for.

The other part of your problem is Audacity. Its not a real recording programme designed for recording & mixing music.

The best thing you could do is read the stickies and buy some proper recording equipment.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 06-29-2014 at 02:14 PM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

I've got decent quality recording off of the GT 10 + Audacity combo. I'm sure there are better options out there, but that's not the issue.

The point is - any of you guys had issues with a mic in to a processor/recording interface?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

The issue here is you're using something that isn't an interface as an interface.
Ibanez RGA121
ESP Eclipse II
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Cajundaddy

Plugging into the wrong gear usually results in disappointment. If you want to use a mic, get a real interface designed to use with a mic.

Am I overstating the obvious here?
Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Plugging into the wrong gear usually results in disappointment. If you want to use a mic, get a real interface designed to use with a mic.

Nope.

Threads like this exist because people think they can use a hammer to tighten a screw.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

^Seriously? That's what your experience and wisdom amount to?

If you don't have a solution, keep it to yourself.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Cajundaddy

Let's see.... mic input, mic input, record using microphone instead of guitar... nope. Not designed for use with a microphone. Learn something new every day.

Hot tip: When in doubt, RTFM.

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/...03/GT-10_e2.pdf

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 06-29-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_47

Don't be an ass. People are telling you what you're doing wrong and that is that you are trying to use something that is not intended for mic inputs to take a mic input.

The solution is to get a more appropriate tool for the job; you can pick up a perfectly usable interface that is actually an interface and is designed for mic inputs for relatively little money these days. Get one of those.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
chatterbox272

Quote:

If we did that every time someone tried to do something that didn't work this forum would be dead as a door nail.

The fact of the matter is, you're using equipment for things they weren't designed to handle. This results in what's called "unspecified behaviour". When you're doing that problems tend to be a little more obscure to solve, such that someone needs to have spent some time trial-and-error-ing until they find the solution. Considering most people use their equipment for it's intended purpose you shouldn't be surprised that no-one's got a solution for your obscure setups problems and you might have to figure it out on your own.

That said, noise often comes from crappy cables (especially if you're using one of those damned xlr-1/4" cables) or from dirty power. Trying other cables will rule that out, as for dirty power try recording something with your laptop unplugged and see if the noise is still there.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:

Hopefully by now you've realised this, but the solution (which I already gave you) is to buy kit designed to do the job you're trying to do.

There is plenty of information about this in the stickies.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't be an ass. People are telling you what you're doing wrong and that is that you are trying to use something that is not intended for mic inputs to take a mic input.

The solution is to get a more appropriate tool for the job; you can pick up a perfectly usable interface that is actually an interface and is designed for mic inputs for relatively little money these days. Get one of those.

An asinine tone begets an asinine response.

You don't want lip? Don't give lip.

Thanks to the guy who pointed out the GT 10 product manual link - that's a constructive response leading to a way out.

You guys must have a lot of money to throw around if for every issue you run to a store to buy something new.

I'm not looking to set up a recording studio, a make do solution is good enough.

I'll tell you what, I'll work it out and post it for your benefit. Next time you find yourself short on gear maybe you'll think before running to a store for gear you could have done without.

I thought that was half of being a musician - you work things out in a tight spot with what you've got on hand. You might just hit the jackpot.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Daemos
Est 1989

The input on your GT-10 is designed to take an instrument level signal, whilst the mic only outputs mic level which is much weaker. When you boost the signal later in the chain, you're also boosting any preamp noise. A stronger signal, such as that from your guitar masks this noise easily, but a mic level signal definitely won't.

I'm afraid what you're trying to do won't ever work how you're hoping with the equipment you're using.

I used to use a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1 I got second hand for about £40 to do this job with acceptable results, I'd suggest something similar for your purposes. We're not talking megabucks here.

What are you using the mic to record? If it's guitar, I'd just stick to the GT-10s patches, turn of the speaker sim and get myself a decent impulse loader and a few good cab impulses (just search google for free cabinet impulses).
Daemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

^I'm using it for vocals - the thing is I've got a pretty good response for the vocals on some of the patches. I'll just have to work out on why its working on some of them and not the others.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
An asinine tone begets an asinine response.

You don't want lip? Don't give lip.

Thanks to the guy who pointed out the GT 10 product manual link - that's a constructive response leading to a way out.

You guys must have a lot of money to throw around if for every issue you run to a store to buy something new.

I'm not looking to set up a recording studio, a make do solution is good enough.

I'll tell you what, I'll work it out and post it for your benefit. Next time you find yourself short on gear maybe you'll think before running to a store for gear you could have done without.

I thought that was half of being a musician - you work things out in a tight spot with what you've got on hand. You might just hit the jackpot.

You were told, third post in to the thread, that you were using the wrong tool for the job. You ignored what was said. You are being a jerk by ignoring perfectly good advice.

What you are doing is trying to make do with the wrong tool; you are trying to drive in a screw with a hammer: yes it might work but it's not going to work as well as it could and it sure as hell isn't going to work by design.

Now, buying things isn't the solution to every problem and no one is going to say that it is and in fact I hardly ever tell someone that buying gear is the solution to any given problem... but it is this time. The solution is to go out and buy a screwdriver.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

^are you done? Go do something useful. You wasted 5 minutes of my life.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If anyone is wasting people's time, it's you. You came with a problem, we told you the solution.

If you want to ignore that solution, we can't help you.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 07-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
^are you done? Go do something useful. You wasted 5 minutes of my life.

If you're not going to take perfectly good advice and instead get all uppity because it's not the response you wanted to hear, then go ask someone who has time to deal with your whining, because clearly you're not asking for a solution, you're asking for validation.

Closing this thread, because you've already been given your answer, but choose to continue to instigate a fight with others for no reason. When you decide to grow up, maybe you might want to head over to the Interfaces sticky and read up on what you really need to be able to record with your mic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: