Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
TheCasual2013

Finger Tip Pain.

This is quite strange. I have been playing 18 months.

Over the last week my tips have become really sore, especially my second finger.

My strings are relatively new(3 weeks ish). I'm not playing any different and roughly the same amount of time.

My callouses have cracked.
TheCasual2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
johnturner9

Let it heal man, take a breather.
johnturner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
Jageetar

Let it heal, rest.
Jageetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
gtc83

Yeah if you've actually got cracks in your calluses there's not much you can do but take some time off and let them heal.
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
wildozer
Not A Registered User

Tip: Don't play just after showering. That took me too long to figure out and my callouses used to get shredded to shit from it.

But yeah. just give it a chance to heal.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildozer
Tip: Don't play just after showering. That took me too long to figure out and my callouses used to get shredded to shit from it.

But yeah. just give it a chance to heal.

Same with playing right after using any sort of hand cream or moisturizer. Give them a few days to heal, and when you start playing again, go easy at first so you don't re-injure your fingers.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
AmirT

Can I ask how much you play each day?

For instance, when I got my guitar, I played literally every day, so I got used to it.

It's strange to hear that someone who plays 18 months, still has that problem tbh. :/
AmirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
TheCasual2013

I obviously had a few problems in first few months like everyone.

It's really hard to say how much I play. My practice is 50 minutes and I probably do that again in noodling around.

I've been doing the same amount of playing for at since the start of the year.

It's just a bit puzzling I'm having these problems now.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

Not really unusual, just needs a little detective work. If you have been practicing the same amount every day for the past 18 months, we can probably discount that. So consider some of the following possibilities:

- Change in diet. Have you had a radical change in what you normally eat or drink lately? Are you making certain you're well hydrated, especially in hotter weather?

- Change in hand-washing habits. Are you washing your hands more often than before? Using a new/different soap, be it hand-soap, bath soap, dish-washing detergent, etc.? Are you playing soon after washing your hands, hand-washing dishes, etc.?

- Change in environment. Are you in an area where the environment is markedly dryer? For instance, indoors in an area with air conditioning or a dehumidifier is running most of the time, etc.?

- Change in overall hand-dryness. Is it just the fingertips (calluses) that are drying out, or have you noticed any other symptoms of dry hands (dry/cracked skin, especially around knuckles, joints, "webbing" between fingers, palms, etc.)

- Change in other activities. Are you doing new activities, either through work or as a hobby or activity? For example, wood-working, handling more paper, contacting abrasive/corrosive substances, etc.

I'm certain there's more, but these should at least get you started.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
yamahaducky8910

In addition to everything mentioned above, maybe the culprit lies in something subconscious, playing-wise? Such as pressing unnecessarily hard on the strings, or playing songs that require some bends that your fingers aren't used to?

I also realized from personal experience that if calluses get too thick, tough, or sharp, they're more prone to rip and tear, no matter how much you're playing a day. I care for my calluses (I know that sounds weird) by moisturizing my hands before I go to bed and filing down the calluses if something gets too sharp so it won't hook on a string.

Also, this may be because I personally go through periods of playing hours a day for months, to playing a few minutes a day for months, but my calluses took a few years to really "stabilize" and become just what appears to be tough fingertips. By stabilize, I mean where it got to the point where I didn't have to watch my every move to make sure my calluses weren't going to rip and fly off.

This isn't professional info, just personal experience. Oh, and the only way to get through it is to play on. Even though it hurts, just play some easy stuff and tough through it.

Last edited by yamahaducky8910 : 06-30-2014 at 11:37 PM.
yamahaducky8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
TheCasual2013

Nothing I can think of has changed regrading lifestyle ect.

It's just dawned on me it's probably the fact I have been learning bending and adding slides.

Rate This Thread: