User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Bass amps and all that jazz..

Hey,
I'm planning on getting a good bass rig together for gigging in September. I was initially planning on putting together a rack with a Hartke head, tuner and a bunch of other things but then I realised that I have no space for another cab due to already having a big guitar rig.
What would you lot recommend in terms of equipment that takes up minimal space but can handle high volume for gigging?

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
NoTreble

Orange Terror Bass Combo, 500 watts, 2x12", 2x 12AX7 tubes, about 1100
NoTreble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Spaz91
Turd polisher

We need a budget.
Spaz91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

We need the usual information: Your budget? Where are you located? If you are outside of the U.S.A., what brands of amplifiers are available where you live? Are you willing to buy a used amp?

We also need to know a few things about your music. Judging from your avatar, I take it that you are into playing heavy metal, yes? How loud is your band when you play? What sized venues do you play (or do you anticipate playing)? What kind of amplifier does your guitarist (or guitarists) use for gigs? That makes a big difference. If you have a guitarist blasting through a 100-watt Marshall stack, well; then you are going to need some serious firepower to keep up - unless you go direct into the P.A. system with a D.I. Box.

This information will help us make useful suggestions to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Sorry, forgot all that, haha.
Budget is pretty minimal but I suppose I can probably save to 300 (GBP). I live in Berkshire, UK and the shop nearest to me deals Fender, Roland, Orange, Ashdown, Hartke, Laney, Peavey, TC Electronic and Vox. My band mainly plays pretty small venues but it's pretty loud in there. (I think last time was 300 capacity)
The lead guitarist uses a Randal RH200 if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I play Metal but I do like to have quite a bright, snappy sound.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

OK, so your budget in U.S. dollars is a shade over $500.00. You can definitely get something good in that range. I suggest that you look at some 2x10" combo amplifiers. Marshall bought Eden Bass Amplifiers not too long ago, so if Eden amps are available, take a look at their EC210 combo. 180 watts, 2x10" speakers, and Eden amps have a great reputation. It sells in the U.S.A. for right around US$500.00. Definitely take a look at T.C. Electronics' BG-250 combo. 250 watts; 2x10" speakers and it has TonePrint slots that let you use their software to send tone schemes from your Smartphone into the amp. It sells for about US$500.00, too. Fender redesigned their Rumble series, and it now includes the Rumble V3 - a 500 watt, 2x10" combo at US$500.00, but Fender frequently offers deals on the Rumble series of amps.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
OK, so your budget in U.S. dollars is a shade over $500.00. You can definitely get something good in that range. I suggest that you look at some 2x10" combo amplifiers. Marshall bought Eden Bass Amplifiers not too long ago, so if Eden amps are available, take a look at their EC210 combo. 180 watts, 2x10" speakers, and Eden amps have a great reputation. It sells in the U.S.A. for right around US$500.00. Definitely take a look at T.C. Electronics' BG-250 combo. 250 watts; 2x10" speakers and it has TonePrint slots that let you use their software to send tone schemes from your Smartphone into the amp. It sells for about US$500.00, too. Fender redesigned their Rumble series, and it now includes the Rumble V3 - a 500 watt, 2x10" combo at US$500.00, but Fender frequently offers deals on the Rumble series of amps.

Cheers, I'll check them out as soon as I'm ready to buy

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

If you are gigging at places that have a good P.A. system, then you should also look into picking up a D.I. box. You can throw it in your gig bag and if your amplifier ever craps out on you, you just grab your D.I. box and go Direct. There are a lot of good ones: Tech 21 SansAmp, Hartke's Bass Attack, Eden, Markbass, etc.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
If you are gigging at places that have a good P.A. system, then you should also look into picking up a D.I. box. You can throw it in your gig bag and if your amplifier ever craps out on you, you just grab your D.I. box and go Direct. There are a lot of good ones: Tech 21 SansAmp, Hartke's Bass Attack, Eden, Markbass, etc.

Sounds like a good idea, cheers for the heads up!

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Rate This Thread: