Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
RiffEmAll

Off Days? Just can't get it right lately

I only started playing guitar in November (Learned Power chords in January) and have been able to jam with people playing songs like Crazy Train, Master Of Puppets, Holy Wars, Mouth For War, etc. These past few days though, I have been awful. I am sloppy and I feel like I only started playing yesterday. Usually I play through it and an hour later I can play along to songs. I know this is silly as I haven't been playing for even a year yet but it is very frustrating to lose so much progress. I do stretches and warmups. What's wrong with me?!
RiffEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
james kiser

you have your good days a bad days as with anything in life lol. I have my off days with it and you cant focus on the bad, you have got to focus on how good you can play and just know that youre better than how youre playing. Golf is like this with me lol. Im a +3 handicap and ill go out and sometimes shoot 75. Keep playing man! Youll get it back in no time
james kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
flexiblemile

sometimes, the first part of progressing is realizing you're not as good as you thought you were. As if your ear got better before your fingers did.

This feeling you are experiencing will stay with you (on and off) for the rest of your life. In the long run it is actually quite helpful because it pushes you to strive. Don't let it discourage you
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

you didn't lose progress, you never had it to begin with. what might have happened is that you happened upon some seemingly minor detail about your playing mechanics that made all the difference in the world and allowed you to play much better. but you weren't aware of it, and so you can't replicate it. it's gonna be up to chance until you figure out what exactly makes you play better.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
EyeballPaul

Yeah,It's all part of it,Slow it back down and focus again on practicing,It will make you better in the long run.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender Ramparte
TS808,TC Flashback,TC Hall of Fame,Blackstar LT Drive,Dirty Little Secret MKIII
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
gtc83

Yeah last week was crappy for me. I don't know, maybe my biorhythms were at a low ebb or something lol. I think it has to do with if you got a good night's sleep, if you're just physically tired or stressed out or something, or else...just no reason at all.
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

It happens to everyone. I find it's best to take a couple days off. Don't touch the guitar for 2 or 3 days. Then, try it again.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
SchizoidManx00

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
you didn't lose progress, you never had it to begin with. what might have happened is that you happened upon some seemingly minor detail about your playing mechanics that made all the difference in the world and allowed you to play much better. but you weren't aware of it, and so you can't replicate it. it's gonna be up to chance until you figure out what exactly makes you play better.

I agree with this.
SchizoidManx00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: